Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grammys 2018

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The only thing I learned from the portion of the Grammies I saw, is that Ke$ha is a white woman. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I had never seen her before.
    Never even heard of her.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Never even heard of her.
    In shock news.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think Ke$ha recently put out a big limited edition box set of her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I think Ke$ha recently put out a big limited edition box set of her stuff.
    But is it available as a Chinese counterfeit?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    But is it available as a Chinese counterfeit?
    I sure hope so. I'm clearing out shelf space right now so I can put it next to my Kelis: My Milkshake--The Whole Thang Box Set.

Sorry, I'm sure you guys are well versed in Ke$ha's canon.

Sorry, I'm sure you guys are well versed in Ke$ha's canon.
    She did a duet with Alice Cooper on his "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" album.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I care less about the Grammies than I do the RRHOF. I watched the last year's in memoriam segment because of 2016, but other than that, I haven't watched or cared about it in decades.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Never even heard of her.
    She's big in Japan, where she's known as 109Ke¥ha.

After watching the Grammy's I now completely understand why I don't listen to any current pop music. Elton was good, but most everything else was just badly composed music, and some of it I sincerely question calling it music. Sure, some of the performances were great, but the songs themselves were shlock to my ears.

I guess I sound like my parents!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Three years ago I would have laughed uproariously if you told me that I would own 2 Lady Gaga albums (w/Tony Bennett & Joanne), but her talent has completely won me over, so I thought she was superb as usual and one of the few reasons I had it on.

Before her great acting on AH Story, she was a damn good actress (see meat dress etc.). I'll go see the 4th A Star Is Born (Janet Gaynor, Garland, Streisand previously) w/Gaga & Bradley Cooper. She wouldn't sign a contract until they assured her that she could be billed as Stefani Germanotta. Maybe she wants to separate Gaga the phenomenon from Stefani the actor, although I think the days of her early Gaga excesses are over.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think the days of her early Gaga excesses are over.
    She achieved her goal of notoriety and recognition of her talent. No need to hide behind a persona anymore.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^^^^Exactly!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Best Historical Album: “Leonard Bernstein — The Composer” — Robert Russ, compilation producer; Martin Kistner and Andreas K. Meyer, mastering engineers (Leonard Bernstein)

Andreas is a good friend of mine whom I met through my wife (they grew up as neighbors). He is an engineer and won his second Grammy. He mastered a few Frogg Cafe albums (Creatures through Bateless Edge), and he also mastered my Cardboard Amanda album.

Best Bluegrass Album: tie, “Laws of Gravity” — The Infamous Stringdusters and “All the Rage — In Concert Volume One” — Rhonda Vincent and the Rage

The guitarist in the Infamous Stringdusters is my wife's first cousin(!) - his name is Andrew Falco.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I think the goal of today's 'music', besides making money, is to get the audience to look up from their phones. To do so, the following occurs:
    Put a bunch of dancers on stage, with the idea that the colorful motion will achieve the goal
    Sing loudly
    Visual backdrops, with lots of graphics
    Fireworks, or fire in general

Reading Ed Macan's 'Rocking the Classics', some of those things started with prog rock/hard rock of the 70's - 'the birth of the stadium tours'; where the musicians were somewhat static, and so to connect with large audiences, had to start adding visuals - lasers, fog, etc.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Three years ago I would have laughed uproariously if you told me that I would own 2 Lady Gaga albums (w/Tony Bennett & Joanne), but her talent has completely won me over, so I thought she was superb as usual and one of the few reasons I had it on.

Before her great acting on AH Story, she was a damn good actress (see meat dress etc.). I'll go see the 4th A Star Is Born (Janet Gaynor, Garland, Streisand previously) w/Gaga & Bradley Cooper. She wouldn't sign a contract until they assured her that she could be billed as Stefani Germanotta. Maybe she wants to separate Gaga the phenomenon from Stefani the actor, although I think the days of her early Gaga excesses are over.
    There is a pretty good documentary about her on Netflix right now. It basically follows her through the creation of the "Joanna" album, up through her Superbowl halftime show. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Best Historical Album: “Leonard Bernstein — The Composer” — Robert Russ, compilation producer; Martin Kistner and Andreas K. Meyer, mastering engineers (Leonard Bernstein)

Andreas is a good friend of mine whom I met through my wife (they grew up as neighbors). He is an engineer and won his second Grammy. He mastered a few Frogg Cafe albums (Creatures through Bateless Edge), and he also mastered my Cardboard Amanda album.

Best Bluegrass Album: tie, “Laws of Gravity” — The Infamous Stringdusters and “All the Rage — In Concert Volume One” — Rhonda Vincent and the Rage

The guitarist in the Infamous Stringdusters is my wife's first cousin(!) - his name is Andrew Falco.
    So at least there was someone on the Grammy's show who's seen this:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There is a pretty good documentary about her on Netflix right now. It basically follows her through the creation of the "Joanna" album, up through her Superbowl halftime show. I thought it was pretty interesting.
    I did watch it, and highly recommend it to anyone who questions either her intelligence, her humanity, or both.

I be a fan now.

So at least there was someone on the Grammy's show who's seen this:

Yep.

Here is his site: http://www.meyer-media.com/mastering/bio.shtml

^ Who the fuck is that again in that picture? I can't stop looking at it. Help.

^ Who the fuck is that again in that picture? I can't stop looking at it. Help.
    My buddy Chris Tunny - he does the vocals, clarinet, piano, lyrics, insanity

Didn't Battema use that as an avatar for a while?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I agree Gaga is talented. I've heard the Joanne album and thought it was pretty good. I don't think much of lyric writing ability on her older stuff however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Didn't Battema use that as an avatar for a while?
    Yeah, it always freaked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I agree Gaga is talented. I've heard the Joanne album and thought it was pretty good. I don't think much of lyric writing ability on her older stuff however.
    I don't either, but she's damn sure evolved both musically and lyrically since then based on Joanne.