Thread: Calomito - Cane di schiena

Calomito - Cane di schiena

revisiting this fine album last night
    what a gem

Never got around to this, although I really like their debut.

Adventurous and playful (and unconventional) jazz-rock of highest order, I'd say. There are some other, mildly reminiscent Italian acts like Slivovitz and Mitteleuropa Ensemble, but in addition Calomito have something inexplainably enigmatic about them. I think I need to get Cane di Schiena as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Never got around to this, although I really like their debut.
    . I think I need to get Cane di Schiena as well.
    I find this one easily superior

I have both their albums. Haven't spun either in ages and don't remember a thing about them, but I must have liked them enough to have kept them. I've dug them out and I'll revisit them tonight.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I find this one easily superior
    I agree, I much prefer this one to the debut.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This is one of the few altrock releases that I do not own.

I neef this, right?

Agree!
    This is a little gem as Udi wrote and I must get their debut ASAP!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Both Calomito albums are amazing. I am torn between which one I like more. "Cane di Schiena" inches ahead by the skin of your teeth. Wasn't there some talk on the Italian thread that they are working on a new release? Somewhat along the same lines, also from Italy, we have Cucci-Band with their lone album from 2010 "Bon débarras!". Could't find any samples on YT.

I gave both Inaudito and Cane Di Schiena a fresh spin last night. If I didn't know these were by the same band, I would never have guessed it. Very little in common between the two releases. Inaudito is, as SS described, a kind of playful mix of jazz-rock and almost Klezmer-like music, featuring a lot of acoustic sounds. Sometimes they drift into somewhat cliche' material, but it's a fun listen.

Cane Di Schiena is much more abstract, electric, and angular. I can't say I really got my ears fully around this one last night, and I need to give it more spins. This one doesn't have the immediacy of the first album to me, but I sense that if I spend some time with it has the potential to be a real grower. So I'm going to keep it in rotation for a while and see what happens.

Neither of these albums are in my normal musical "comfort zone" (or perhaps "interest zone" is a better description), but both have elements that I have connected with for whatever reason, and it was nice to hear them again after a long break.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Somewhat along the same lines, also from Italy, we have Cucci-Band with their lone album from 2010 "Bon débarras!".
    This album was a huge surprise to me. I dug this one out as well but didn't get to it last night, but I played the heck out of this thing when I first got it and I really enjoy it. Not sure I'd describe them as similar to Calomito, but I agree with you that fans of Calomito would likely enjoy Cucci-Band. For my money, I like Cucci-Band better, but I need to give Calomito more time.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I gave both Inaudito and Cane Di Schiena Cane Di Schiena is much more abstract, electric, and angular. I can't say I really got my ears fully around this one last night, and I need to give it more spins. This one doesn't have the immediacy of the first album to me, but I sense that if I spend some time with it has the potential to be a real grower. So I'm going to keep it in rotation for a while and see what happens. Bill
    For me this one is quite easy to digest and thoroughly enjoyable - strong melodies , imaginative inspired arrangements and fine playing
    This is one of my top Italian albums of the new millennium