Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

Rooting hard for the Yeasties and the 'Stros.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As an (almost) life-long resident of the fly-overs, I will usually root to see small(er) market teams in the series. 'Stros would be fine, but Boston looks mighty tough right now. Still, coming from arguably the toughest division in MLB, I think the boys from WI match up pretty favorably against anyone.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

feel like the NLCS is gonna be a referendum on how important ace starters really are in a playoff series
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    feel like the NLCS is gonna be a referendum on how important ace starters really are in a playoff series
    I don't want to take away from the Brewers, but there's definitely rotation mismatch between the two clubs. As such it seems to be the center point of this series. Can the Brew Crew disrupt the Dodger starters and take leads in games so they can turn it over to THEIR strength, the bullpen?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Funny how I find the game to boring to watch all season, but get reminded when I watch in post season how nail biting the game really is.
    That's my view. The players turn it up in the post season. The regular season is too long and boring.

Brewers should be be looking at video of the 2013 and 14 postseasons to see how to hit Kershaw.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Brewers should be be looking at video of the 2013 and 14 postseasons to see how to hit Kershaw.
    Indeed. I wish they could wear red and white uniforms against him.

It's already starting.

Withdrawal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Indeed. I wish they could wear red and white uniforms against him.
    Yelich is only one hitter, but Kershaw gave up 6 HRs to left handed hitters this year and 2 of them were Yelich's. His BA against Kershaw lifetime is close to .400. We WILL need others to step up, but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's already starting.

Withdrawal.
    Ron, it might interest you that today on the MLB Network, three different spewing pundits said they thought that Machado would be a Yankee next year and Didi would be gone.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It's already starting.

Withdrawal.
    My mother has a theory. This came after the later years of my paternal grandmother's life, where she verbally abused my parents, who had been sacrificing their own free time and sanity taking care of her. My grandmother became so miserable and demanding, we felt that the stress was taking years off of my parents' lives. As I understand it, this is not unusual.

So, my mother dealt with it by developing the theory that some who know they are in the later stages of life begin to create distance from their loved ones to make their passing easier.

This is what I feel the Phillies were doing for their fans this year - making it so we wouldn't miss them at all while they're gone.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ron, it might interest you that today on the MLB Network, three different spewing pundits said they thought that Machado would be a Yankee next year and Didi would be gone.
    They've been reading the NY papers and hopping on the bandwagon, which are also suggesting they might unload Torres to open a spot. I don't see it happening. As much as they need hitters who can move baserunners, they need pitching more than blowing all that money on Machado. I certainly hope they don't go after him.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hands off! He's OURS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hands off! He's OURS!
    Take him. The Yankees have a bona-fide star in the making. They don't need him one bit. Keeping him in the NL would be great. Plus, his numbers with the Dodgers are pretty ordinary.

Yeah, like I said back during off season winter meetings when people were claiming Machado would soon be a Yankee, it seems obvious that the Yankees need to beef up that starting rotation and really don't need another power hitting slugger in that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yeah, like I said back during off season winter meetings when people were claiming Machado would soon be a Yankee, it seems obvious that the Yankees need to beef up that starting rotation and really don't need another power hitting slugger in that lineup.
    Exactly what was said about a certain small-market team and (SO FAR) they've done pretty well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Maybe a referendum on platoons, too? The only constant in the Dodgers lineup is Machado batting fourth and playing short.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Take him. The Yankees have a bona-fide star in the making. They don't need him one bit. Keeping him in the NL would be great. Plus, his numbers with the Dodgers are pretty ordinary.
    They must get Machado. They need his kind of bat in the worst way.

The Yankees can sell very high on Andujar to get a pitcher, which they should absolutely do. They should enter talks with the Dodgers (who will be losing Machado next year) to get a deal done for Stanton. He's pretty much a useless player on the Yankees. They'll probably need to pick up half of his contract, but they've got the money to do that. Then they should sign Daniel Murphy, who would be a great fit for the Yankees.

This year was a house money year for the Yankees. The squad they have going into April of next year, after the FA signings, is going to represent the completion of what started in 2016, and they'll be expected to win more than 100 games. The front office better get it right.

. I'm not going to even bother.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Good choice
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Scott, I like this theory. Certainly makes the nastiness more palitable. Now I understand my fathera little bit better. Thanks for sharing the wisdom.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Scott, I like this theory. Certainly makes the nastiness more palitable. Now I understand my fathera little bit better. Thanks for sharing the wisdom.
    I've paid a lot of attention to it over the years, and it seems to often hold true. It's comforting for those left behind, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    They must get Machado. They need his kind of bat in the worst way.

The Yankees can sell very high on Andujar to get a pitcher, which they should absolutely do. They should enter talks with the Dodgers (who will be losing Machado next year) to get a deal done for Stanton. He's pretty much a useless player on the Yankees. They'll probably need to pick up half of his contract, but they've got the money to do that. Then they should sign Daniel Murphy, who would be a great fit for the Yankees.

This year was a house money year for the Yankees. The squad they have going into April of next year, after the FA signings, is going to represent the completion of what started in 2016, and they'll be expected to win more than 100 games. The front office better get it right.
    I'll bite.

I think Machado would be a nice add for the Yankees. If nothing else, they need to kick the tires. They would be crazy not to. From my perspective, there are two very real sticking points to getting a deal like this done. First off, he isn't worth 30m/yr and not worth a 10/yr deal. I think if a team can get a deal done for 5/125 with options and opt outs, that would work for certain teams. Secondly, while I agree it might be the right time to "sell on Andujar" and sign Didi to an extension, Machado has made some waves about only wanting to play SS, not 3B. So that's two compromises (security and position) that Machado/agent would need to make. But since there is a desire to play with the Yanks, that's worth looking into.

But they need pitching help. If they can't trade a guy like Andujar for that, they are going to have to go the FA route. They can go after Corbin or Keuchel and re-sign Happ.

Regarding Stanton, he's "A-Rod redux". They were/are about the same age. They had almost identical seasons at the plate in their first year with the team. They both didn't come through went it counted against the Red Sox in the playoffs.

He'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'll bite.

I think Machado would be a nice add for the Yankees. If nothing else, they need to kick the tires. They would be crazy not to. From my perspective, there are two very real sticking points to getting a deal like this done. First off, he isn't worth 30m/yr and not worth a 10/yr deal. I think if a team can get a deal done for 5/125 with options and opt outs, that would work for certain teams. Secondly, while I agree it might be the right time to "sell on Andujar" and sign Didi to an extension, Machado has made some waves about only wanting to play SS, not 3B. So that's two compromises (security and position) that Machado/agent would need to make. But since there is a desire to play with the Yanks, that's worth looking into.

But they need pitching help. If they can't trade a guy like Andujar for that, they are going to have to go the FA route. They can go after Corbin or Keuchel and re-sign Happ.
    And, they did kick the tires this year.

They already have their sights on Corbin who grew up in the area and has expressed a desire to play for the Yankees. They can get him and another solid pitcher/player for Machado money. I don't see them going after Machado and I'd be willing to bet money on it.

Sign Didi to an extension and give Torres some time to work on his fielding. Remember, him and Andujar are still super-young. I see no logical reason why they should give up on two star rookies, one of whom will likely be ROY and the other who would be a solid candidate for it in any other season without Andujar and Otani.

I would bet they start dangling Bird, since he seems to have lost his job to Voit. That's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Regarding Stanton, he's "A-Rod redux". They were/are about the same age. They had almost identical seasons at the plate in their first year with the team. They both didn't come through went it counted against the Red Sox in the playoffs.

He'll be fine.
    That's great, because it means that Stanton has another MVP season ahead of him and will earn his pinstripes as a post-season hero.