Page 54 of 96 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Generally speaking, I hate this stuff. But an exhibition baseball game really lends itself to this, IMO. I thought it was a cool idea. Now, if only they could get someone better than Joe Buck to do the interviews.....

More annoying was the military BS before the game and the "good God when will it end????" Stand up to Cancer thing in the middle of the game. I'm reaching a point where I'd like to see more separation between the military and professional sports, and this just went on and on. And of course we've all been touched by cancer, and we all want to see it eradicated, but that segment in the middle of a game was just infinite.
    I will be avoiding ESPN today as it is their interminable Jimmy V cancer charity day & there won't be any actual sports news. Yes I've been touched by cancer, my mother died of it, and yes I donate, I just hate all these bloody telethons.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, I get that part. But I wouldn't want to be playing shortstop being distracted by an asinine interview while anticipating a baseball coming at me at 100MPH.

It all seems like the broadcast is more important than the action, which, last time I checked, is what people tuned in to watch.

Sure, the players were good sports about it. But, I cannot help but think they also wanted it to end. Buck actually called out to Harper while a fly ball was coming at him. What an ass.
    I didn't watch the whole game, but it looked to me like they were only interviewing outfielders? I get your point about distraction, but outfielders have a little bit more time to react. And yes, Buck can really be an ass sometimes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm tired of the color pink in sports. I get it, I get it, breast cancer awareness, I get it. Noble cause, awesome. But I'm sick of the color pink in the NFL.

I didn't watch the whole game, but it looked to me like they were only interviewing outfielders? I get your point about distraction, but outfielders have a little bit more time to react. And yes, Buck can really be an ass sometimes.
    They had Lindor mic'd, but I think any SS without a personality like Lindor's would have been less than enthusiastic. Lindor imo was hilarious btw.
    Last edited by progeezer; 07-18-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The had Lindor mic'd, but I think any SS without a personality like Lindor's would have been less than enthusiastic. Lindor imo was hilarious btw.
    I didn't see Lindor, but this is what the All-Star game should be. Thank God they got rid of that "this time it matters" BS. It doesn't matter. It's an exhibition game. It should be fun.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought the whole thing last night was a joke. Interviewing players during the game is the last straw. What great info was gleaned from that silliness that could not have been obtained with a dugout interview after or between innings at least, so, you know, it wouldn't interrupt the GAME? Do we really need to know about Charlie Blackmon's beard while he's trying to track down fly balls?

With all the inordinate over the top attention paid to the silly HR Derby, with the way the game turned out, might as well just get rid of the traditional game and just make it one big HR Derby. Park a keg at 2B, and have them play grabass and do silly interviews on the field galore, pass a rule that no players over 35 be allowed to play (because who needs old legendary future HOFers at an All Star game) and get on with it. The short attention span generations will love it. In fact why not have all the players take their cell phones on the field and take text questions from fans while the game is being played. Now that's interactive!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-18-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I thought the whole thing last night was a joke. Interviewing players during the game is the last straw. What great info was gleaned from that silliness that could not have been obtained with a dugout interview after or between innings at least, so, you know, it wouldn't interrupt the GAME? With all the inordinate over the top attention paid to the silly HR Derby, with the way the game turned out, might as well just get rid of the traditional game and just make it one big HR Derby. Park a keg at 2B, and have them play grabass and do silly interviews galore, pass a rule that no players over 35 be allowed to play (because who needs old legendary future HOFers at an All Star game) and get on with it.
    That would be pretty cool, actually.

(Excuse me, while I get off of your lawn)

yea I think Doc's suggestion sounds great, honestly
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I thought the whole thing last night was a joke. Interviewing players during the game is the last straw. What great info was gleaned from that silliness that could not have been obtained with a dugout interview after or between innings at least, so, you know, it wouldn't interrupt the GAME? Do we really need to know about Charlie Blackmon's beard while he's trying to track down fly balls?
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I can't fathom, under any circumstances, guys like Williams, Musial, Aaron, Mays, Rose, Bob Gibson, Frank Robinson, Yaz, Koufax, Carlton, Bench etc putting up with that goofiness, because they actually had pride in playing and yes, even winning, the game, even though it "didn't count" (that term was never used back then) because pride in representing your league and baseball in general, actually mattered.

"Back in MY day...."

Times change, man. TV isn't what it was back then. Social media has changed things. These guys have personalities, and some of them are comfortable expressing that.

Again, it's just an exhibition game. I wouldn't be comfortable if they're doing this stuff during an actual game (I hate the sideline and dugout interviews during a game), that would be completely different.

I know it wouldn't be apples to apples, but could you imagine Billy Martin's or Earl Weaver's reaction if the media tried to interview one of their players on the field?

Good riddance, Manny.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Good riddance, Manny.
    Be careful....you might be welcoming him with open arms in about 6 months.....

More than likely.

Tribe acquires closer and set up man from Pads for organization's top prospect.

Brad Hand, LHP.

Good move for Cleveland.

More than likely.
    I'm betting that won't happen. There's a better chance of seeing him in the World Series.

The Dodgers are pretty desperate to win it all. Amazing to think its now been 30 years since their last title, given all their resources etc. They know the Kershaw window is getting narrower and narrower....

Yep. Exactly.

30 years since their last title
    That's gotta suck. Unless, you're an Indians fan. Then it's envious.

Well, there has been this recent trend:

2015--Royals first WS title since 1985 (30 years)
    2016--The Schlubs first WS title since 1908 (108 years) dammit
    2017--Astros first WS title ever (55 years)

similar to the 2002/2004-2005 run (Angels/Red Sox/White Sox)

and I was rooting hard for the Indians to end their drought in 16 for obvious reasons.....

If you have Matt Carpenter on your fantasy team, you are sitting pretty. 5 for 5, 3 HR and 2 doubles, 7 RBI. And the new manager took him out in the 7th!? Not sure I understand depriving him of the chance for 4 HR, but I'll take the 18-5 win over the small bears vs Lester, even though I wished they could pocket about 10 of those runs for the Sat doubleheader.

He's been on a tear, lately.

Following on ronmac's comments on the "on-the-field" interviews: I haven't watched a game, from the stands or the comfort of my living room, in quite some time. Every few years voices begin to be heard saying that baseball is losing its popularity; that it's in a state of decline. Go back and watch the Ken Burns "Baseball" documentary for the beautiful poetic summary made by Buck O'Neil. Yes, baseball reinvents itself because of some social or fiscal decline. But there may be something more ominous going on here. During those other evolutions, there was a concerted effort to generate a new fan base to augment the old fan base. But with the crap that is becoming accepted as mainstream these days: dilution of talent, way-overpriced everything from athletes to hotdogs, & the intrusion of advertising everywhere (just wait for logos to show up on uniforms. It's only a matter of time.), the old-guard fans are leaving as they feel alienated from the game they grew up loving. If I had the opportunity to watch MLB games I probably would pass. I do love baseball & I do love to play it and watch it played. Just not on the MLB level. For me, MLB seems to be becoming "reality TV", ie: trash.
    Last edited by Casey; 07-22-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like