Page 18 of 96 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

I agree with Scott. I'm sure Mattingly didn't make that decision in a vacuum, either. No doubt, the overlords weighed this kid's future against one game for a team that's going nowhere. I say they took the long view and decided to allow him more opportunities for a no-hitter by not blowing out his arm.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    The New York Mets have the best record in baseball, 10-1. Amazin'. 6-0 road trip, 8 straight victories. Everyday a new hero. Last night's star was Don Mattingly. Jarlin Garcia had a no-hitter through 6 for the Marlins, and only threw 77 pitches as he was completely dominating the Mets with the Marlins up 1-0. But Donnie Baseball thought Garcia had thrown enough for his first big league start and (ahem) yanked Garcia from the game. Garcia was a relief pitcher up till last night. Yada, yada, yada...Mets won 4-1 behind Zack Wheeler's first start of 2018. Wheeler gave up a homer to the second batter he faced, then only allowed another one hit before being taken out after 7 innings. I'm old school so this pulling a pitcher tossing a no-no still won't ever make sense to me unless he's hurt, has thrown 9/10+ innings already or is above 125+ pitches...the discussion has come up here before and I know many of you support my beliefs. But anywho. ..Thanks Donnie B!!!

Amazin'
    I've posted many times that behind only the Brewers, as a Queens boy I will always be a Mets fan, as I was from 1962 ("can't anyone on this team play baseball")-1975, when ,after 4 years of living in WI, I was assimilated by the Borg (a/k/a my former wife's family) and fed cheese through an IV until I cracked.

The only time I don't root for the Mets is a time like this weekend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    The New York Mets have the best record in baseball, 10-1. Amazin'. 6-0 road trip, 8 straight victories. Everyday a new hero. Last night's star was Don Mattingly. Jarlin Garcia had a no-hitter through 6 for the Marlins, and only threw 77 pitches as he was completely dominating the Mets with the Marlins up 1-0. But Donnie Baseball thought Garcia had thrown enough for his first big league start and (ahem) yanked Garcia from the game. Garcia was a relief pitcher up till last night. Yada, yada, yada...Mets won 4-1 behind Zack Wheeler's first start of 2018. Wheeler gave up a homer to the second batter he faced, then only allowed another one hit before being taken out after 7 innings. I'm old school so this pulling a pitcher tossing a no-no still won't ever make sense to me unless he's hurt, has thrown 9/10+ innings already or is above 125+ pitches...the discussion has come up here before and I know many of you support my beliefs. But anywho. ..Thanks Donnie B!!!

Amazin'
    I'll see your best record in baseball, and raise you by the worst record in baseball. My Cincinnati Reds! (2-9)
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I'll see your best record in baseball, and raise you by the worst record in baseball. My Cincinnati Reds! (2-9)
    Thank you, BTW.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thank you, BTW.
    They aim to please! (the opposition)

I had you figured for a Pirates fan???

The overrated Sonny Gray got beaten up again today.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I had you figured for a Pirates fan???
    Didn't follow baseball until after the family moved to Cincy in 69. Got into football while still living in Pennsylvania, thus a Steelers fan.

Didn't follow baseball until after the family moved to Cincy in 69. Got into football while still living in Pennsylvania, thus a Steelers fan.
    Ah. What I get for assuming.

"Get back in the box"

Got into football while still living in Pennsylvania, thus a Steelers fan.
    Interesting. I was a Steelers fan until I moved to Pittsburgh in the early 80s.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ah. What I get for assuming.
    It was a good assumption, given the known facts!

Dellin Betances has become a serious liability. This kid is lost.

11-1. Amazin'!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

After the so called basebrawls yesterday, I propose a rule change. I say that you let the batter and pitcher fight it out until the umpires pull them apart.(like in hockey)
    Those two ONLY! Any other player gets involved, he gets an automatic 10 game suspension. This way, nobody else gets involved. No charging the mound "for show", knowing
    that the catcher is gonna grab you from behind before you get to the mound. You drill a batter, know that you just might have to defend yourself afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Dellin Betances has become a serious liability. This kid is lost.
    Yes, and not just him. The entire bullpen has been bad outside of Chapman and Green.

After the so called basebrawls yesterday, I propose a rule change. I say that you let the batter and pitcher fight it out until the umpires pull them apart.(like in hockey)
    Those two ONLY! Any other player gets involved, he gets an automatic 10 game suspension. This way, nobody else gets involved. No charging the mound "for show", knowing
    that the catcher is gonna grab you from behind before you get to the mound. You drill a batter, know that you just might have to defend yourself afterwards!
    I like that! Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I like that! Good idea.
    Just make it illegal to charge the mound. Let the league determine if the HBP was intentional, and deal with that accordingly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just make it illegal to charge the mound. Let the league determine if the HBP was intentional, and deal with that accordingly.
    NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

There is far too little violence in baseball already.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I'm just disappointed that Austin didn't bring his bat to the mound with him. The Sox pitcher deserved a bat to the midsection for that beaning the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. I'm just disappointed that Austin didn't bring his bat to the mound with him. The Sox pitcher deserved a bat to the midsection for that beaning the other day.
    Exactly! It is long overdue for someone to go full Marichal/Roseboro.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Baseball is for pussies.

Yes, and not just him. The entire bullpen has been bad outside of Chapman and Green.
    But, Betances is the only one who seems to be a head case. I'm pretty concerned about this one.

Also, fine anyone who runs in from the bullpen.

That's assault with a deadly weapon. The last time (well, the only time) I suggest violence against someone wouldn't bother me, the snowflakes whined and got me banned. Be careful.

Baseball is for pussies.
    You are what you eat.

Yankees - Tigers ppd. Day - Nite dh tomorrow, weather permitting. I'm heading to Citi Field later, Harvey & fireworks!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Just saw the brawl on Youtube. Hilarious.