Page 9 of 96 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    .... before I begin to remove the human element. I consider that sacrosanct.
    Ugh. I'll never understand why anyone cares about this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What else would some of us consider hallowed ground?

How about wooden bats?
    Wooden bats are a good one.

Pitchers hitting.

Real grass.

The AL and NL only meeting for the All Star Game and World Series.

Get off of my lawn.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not that it means a hell of a lot, but look who has the best spring training record in MLB.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ugh. I'll never understand why anyone cares about this.
    Different strokes, bro.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Different strokes, bro.
    Absolutely.

We'll never hear a ping at a major league game. The ball goes faster and further off wood. A high school or college pitcher might not be able to get out of the way from a drive off a wooden bat but you are expected to be able to if you're in the big leagues.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We'll never hear a ping at a major league game. The ball goes faster and further off wood. A high school or college pitcher might not be able to get out of the way from a drive off a wooden bat but you are expected to be able to if you're in the big leagues.
    Agreed. Especially when you have guys like Madison Bumgarner getting injured on come-backers.

Looks like Albert is in trouble for ringing his Belle in public.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Awesome. I have toyed with the idea of doing one of those spring training vacation packages. One of these years...
    This is the first year in many years that we will not be in Florida during Spring Training. If you ever get the chance it is a lot of fun. We usually hit two or three games. They are laid back, relatively cheap, and everyone is there just enjoying the sunshine and having fun. I have never been to Arizona, but in Florida there are a lot of teams located fairly close together, so you can hit several different ball parks pretty easily. They are all different and have their own unique characters. Being a Tigers fan I am impartial to Joker Marchant stadium which has just been renovated to be one of the best facilities down there IMO, but some of the other parks are really nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have never been to Arizona, but in Florida there are a lot of teams located fairly close together, so you can hit several different ball parks pretty easily.
    Out here in Arizona it is relatively the same. Where I live, there is a field 10 minutes from me. Other fields are within 20-40 minutes from there in either direction.

Mama mia! I can taste opening day!!

Pretty soon, every game will count.

What will be the first in-game conspiracy???

Probably something involving mound visits.

Or exclusive to this forum, the Baltimore Orioles
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Only the Shadow knows.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

And yet.....they're underdogs.

And yet.....they're underdogs.
    They are? It depends where you look. Predictions are typically silly, anyway. It's usually a way for sports writers to exercise some kind of faux power over the types of guys who used to beat them up in high school.

They are? It depends where you look.
    I looked at a NY newspaper

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen

I looked at a NY newspaper
    I think they're being a bit facetious there, bro. I'm not suggesting they're favorites. But, if you think about it, every team other than the Astros are underdogs.

I think they're being a bit facetious there, bro. I'm not suggesting they're favorites. But, if you think about it, every team other than the Astros are underdogs.
    It's a Cashman quote.

And the Yankees should be the favorites on everyone's predictions.

I truly, honestly and sincerely, even if it's not the Beerboys, hope each & every year for a small market team with (one of) the lowest payrolls in MLB to win it all.

Just how I roll, even though my roots are in NYC rather than WI. Sorry, Ron.

It's a Cashman quote.

And the Yankees should be the favorites on everyone's predictions.
    Yes, it's a Cashman quote, but that's the public/media relations side of him speaking. I'm not suggesting he really thinks they're favorites or underdogs. He's playing a game. And he's too smart to make predictions. Could you imagine the outcry if he DID anoint them as favorites? He'd be skewered.

You're reading too much into it.

Here are the current projected win totals for 2018 from the excellent Fangraphs site. Top 15 teams...

Astros 100
    Yankees 95
    Indians 94
    Cubs 94
    Dodgers 93
    Red Sox 93
    Nationals 89
    Blue Jays 86
    Cards 85
    Angels 84
    Mets 82
    Twins 82
    Diamondbacks 81
    Giants 81
    Mariners 80

Interesting. That’s pretty low on the Nats considering they have a full roster ready to go and there isn’t a great deal of competition in the East. I also think it’s low on the Twins and Diamondbacks. And the Brew Crew isn’t on the list! I guess we will revisit this in September. Thanks for sharing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It amazes me that the Brewers aren't rated higher than anyone from the Blue Jays on down. Now I'm pissed and even more into them embarrassing pundits.

It will amaze me even more if the Brewers don't finish ahead of the Cards in the NL Central.