Page 69 of 96 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2384

Thread: MLB 2018

And every other professional league.

troll
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Curious since I don't know.....has there ever been a team since the 2 wild card format was introduced that had to play back to back one game play-ins(offs)?

That could happen to either the Brewers or the Cubs this year if they finish tied in the regular season.

EDIT: If instead it's "head to head", that sucks, and I would straight up honestly still say that if the Brewers rather than the Cubs were on top there.
    Last edited by progeezer; 09-15-2018 at 02:38 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    ...and Pedro Strop is lost for the rest of the season, since Morrow is also out for the duration and Maddon felt like he had to leave Strop in to pitch the bottom of the 10th last night. He bats, hits a DP ball, and comes up lame on his way to first. Now we really don't have a closer. Oog.
    Maybe Strop was disoriented while running due to the off kilter cap...

I never root for a player to be injured of course, but given that the Cardinals lost 4 of their starting 5 rotation to injury this year(Wainwright, Wacha, Martinez, Reyes), resulting in basically a largely new rookie rotation, hard to shed a tear for the Cubbies. Prior to this year, the Cubs have enjoyed pretty good fortune re injuries the last 3 years, so lets see what happens with a little adversity.
    Of course, from a Cards perspective, none of this matters unless they stop screwing the pooch and wasting away valuable opportunities to put away the Dodgers in a 4 game series to at least secure a WC spot.

Re back to back one game playoffs, I don't think that has occurred, but in 2015 when the Cards won 100, Cubs won 98 and Pirates won 97 or something like that, there was a very distinct possibility of a 3 way tie and double single game playoffs.

Jacob DeGrom should win the Cy Young award. There, I said it.

He can't control the offense at all, all he can do is his job and he's done it very well this season.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I think that tonight (in spite of Baez, Carpenter, Arenado & Story) that Yelich became the front runner for NL MVP. He became only the 3rd player in MLB history to hit for the cycle twice in one season and (probably until tomorrow) leads the NL in BA again. He has had NO slumps of more than 2 consecutive games without a hit when he was in the lineup (10 day DL once) all f'ng season, which is unbelievable.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Yelich
    31/93/.318/.955 OPS

Carp
    35/77/.265/.922

Baez
    32/105/.294/.895

Arenado
    34/100/.297/.934

Story
    33/102/.288/.894

I agree Yelich has been the most consistent all season, and now he also leads in OPS. Carp carried the Cards on his back for several months to put them into playoff contention, but he had a terrible start and is now in another down period, so he's much streakier and now has fallen to 4th in OPS after leading that stat for quite awhile.

This is going to be a close race, as Baez and Arenado have had great all around seasons and may be leading their teams to division titles. But now Story may split votes with Arenado, which could hurt both, as he's injected himself into the mix.

I'd say the top 3 right now are Arenado, Baez and Yelich but it's still up for grabs and will be very close.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-18-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think that tonight (in spite of Baez, Carpenter, Arenado & Story) that Yelich became the front runner for NL MVP. He became only the 3rd player in MLB history to hit for the cycle twice in one season and (probably until tomorrow) leads the NL in BA again. He has had NO slumps of more than 2 consecutive games without a hit when he was in the lineup (10 day DL once) all f'ng season, which is unbelievable.
    You forgot to mention that he is the ONLY player in MLB history to hit for the cycle twice in the same season.....Against the SAME TEAM!!! (you are welcome, from Cincy)
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I didn't post that to be kind to you, Lou .

I didn't post that to be kind to you, Lou .
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I really want Yelich to win MVP just so I can shove it in the face of everyone who said "the Brewers gave up too much!!" at the beginning of the year
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I really want Yelich to win MVP just so I can shove it in the face of everyone who said "the Brewers gave up too much!!" at the beginning of the year
    Refresh my memory. Who the hell did they give up besides Brinson?

The Ex Marlins starting OF:

Stanton--Yanks 34/89/.263/.836 OPS (25 mil)
    Yelich--Brew 31/93/.317/.952 OPS (9.75 mil)
    Ozuna--Cards 22/84/.281/.763 OPS (9 Mil)

And when the Cards were looking at all 3 in the winter, I advocated for the signing of Yelich due to contract status (he's locked up through 21 w a team option for 22) and the fact that the Cards needed another LH bat. Ozuna has been ok, but short of the 30/100 level most thought he would be at, and his fielding is scary at times. Per usual, the Cards went with the cheapest alternative of the 3.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-19-2018 at 09:53 PM.

There were rumors () that the Phillies would be making a trade with the Marlins for both Stanton and Yelich, and many of the local "experts" were saying that Yelich would be the real star of the deal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"For there is no joy in Archtown, the Cards front office has struck out"

Braves won the NL East today. There are still rotation problems and still ‘pen problems, but I’m overjoyed to finally have October baseball to root for.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Just caught the tail end of Cubs vs White Sox broadcast. Hawk Harrelson's last broadcast. Both teams walked off field tipping their caps to the booth, Hawk in tears.
    He gone.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-23-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves won the NL East today. There are still rotation problems and still ‘pen problems, but I’m overjoyed to finally have October baseball to root for.
    The Phillies overachieved this year, but man, what a lame showing this weekend. No heart, and every wart exposed. They need to make some major changes this off-season. I hope they can be honest with their self-evaluations.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Refresh my memory. Who the hell did they give up besides Brinson?
    Monte Harrison, Isan Diaz, and Jordan Yamamoto

none of them are having particularly good years. Harrison and Diaz are struggling in the minors and Brinson is currently sporting a -0.9 fWAR in the majors. He was supposed to be major-league ready in 2019 so that's kind of worrying. Yamamoto is doing okay but his ceiling is "decent reliever", which are dime a dozen

gotta say I've been fairly impressed by the Brewers front office. a lot of these trades and oddball pickups are actually paying dividends. they were really in a tough situation at the SP position and somehow they've cobbled together a rotation that's downright average.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Monte Harrison, Isan Diaz, and Jordan Yamamoto

none of them are having particularly good years. Harrison and Diaz are struggling in the minors and Brinson is currently sporting a -0.9 fWAR in the majors. He was supposed to be major-league ready in 2019 so that's kind of worrying. Yamamoto is doing okay but his ceiling is "decent reliever", which are dime a dozen

gotta say I've been fairly impressed by the Brewers front office. a lot of these trades and oddball pickups are actually paying dividends. they were really in a tough situation at the SP position and somehow they've cobbled together a rotation that's downright average.
    Cobbled is the right word all right, but that's true. The next 3 games will tell all, and my least favorite starter at the Cobbler shop (Chase A.) is going tonight.

Stearns gets my thumbs up on his deals overall.

Get this shit. I might be getting a new client: Roberto Clemente, Jr. I just spoke with him this afternoon after he reached out to me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wow. That's pretty cool.

Cobbled is the right word all right, but that's true. The next 3 games will tell all, and my least favorite starter at the Cobbler shop (Chase A.) is going tonight.
    they're doing a bullpen start tonight. Counsell is serious about this playoff thing, apparently.

Perhaps a naive question (wouldn't be the first).....Does anyone know if it's ever been floated, for the purposes of the playoffs only & not the reg. season so long-time rivalries could be maintained, to just take the 5 teams in each league with the best records regardless of division, with #4 & 5 playing the wild card game at #4's field. Seeding scenario wouldn't change.

Yeah, the fact that the Brewers have the 2nd best record in the NL and still may not make the playoffs elicited these thoughts, but I'm sure it's happened already more than once since the 2 wild cards started. Any thoughts?

Very nice, Ron! Now that you've used the word "client", inquiring minds want to know: attorney, financial planner or something else?

I've heard talk of that before, Steve. It would work in the American League this year, too, since the Rays have the same record as the division-leading Indians and have no shot at the playoffs.

Very nice, Ron! Now that you've used the word "client", inquiring minds want to know: attorney, financial planner or something else?
    Well, it's potential at this point. But, he does tons of charity and foundation work. He's the ambassador of some foundations. It's my understanding that he wants to create his own personal brand. And I do branding, along with marketing and design. So, this should be fun, if it's the right fit for both of us. We're trying to set up a meeting with his manager.

He reached out to me through LinkedIn. I must have shown up in his news feed, since we share about a dozen contacts. I have to confess it was pretty cool to see names like Jesse Barfield among those who recommend him.

I'll let you know how this plays out, if it plays out at all.