Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    He'd have to convert to Judaism, and it's a bitch to speak Hebrew (or Yiddish) w/a Texas accent.

"Shalom, y'all"
    Yep. 'Cause you never know if it's "Shalom, yawl," in which case he's talking to a boat.

Hmmm, apparently, winning percentage doesn't matter. Look at these standings. The first place team is a half game behind the second place team? I don't think I've ever seen standings like this.

whos-in-first.jpg

On the flip side, the Orioles are 21.5 games out of first place with 1/3 of the season behind us.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It is rare when one can point to two separate conspiracies as the answer to points being made in a single post!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hmmm, apparently, winning percentage doesn't matter. Look at these standings. The first place team is a half game behind the second place team? I don't think I've ever seen standings like this.

whos-in-first.jpg

On the flip side, the Orioles are 21.5 games out of first place with 1/3 of the season behind us.
    It's not unusual. It happens when there is a games-played disparity of a significant amount. If a team is 3-0 and another is, say, 8-2, the 3-0 team is behind the 8-2 team by 1.5 games, even though they have a winning percentage that is much higher. Nothing crazy about it - it's just what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's not unusual. It happens when there is a games-played disparity of a significant amount. If a team is 3-0 and another is, say, 8-2, the 3-0 team is behind the 8-2 team by 1.5 games, even though they have a winning percentage that is much higher. Nothing crazy about it - it's just what it is.
    Of course, the contrarian has to jump in. Uh, yes, it is unusual when the first place team is a half game behind in the standings. I've been a baseball fan for 45 years and don't recall ever seeing it. Thanks for the math lesson, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Of course, the contrarian has to jump in. Uh, yes, it is unusual when the first place team is a half game behind in the standings. I've been a baseball fan for 45 years and don't recall ever seeing it. Thanks for the math lesson, though.
    It happens all the time.

Understanding arithmetic makes one a contrarian now? Only in America!
    Last edited by Facelift; 06-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.

NOT ME TALKING!!

Today on ESPN during the course of the day, 3 different baseball mouths said that the Brewers are one starting ace away from being one of the 3 best teams in baseball.

I'm not quite buying that yet, but there's no doubt anymore that with the best record in the NL, they're good.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It also would figure that it would be Kevin Millar who would use a word I've never heard before on an ESPN talk show talking about MIL.

His comment (paraphrased due to old people memory but not "the word") was something like, "Unlike what we see so often, based on performance so far, the Brewers didn't get financially sodomized by acquiring Cain & Yelich".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Been to hundreds of games over the years. Have seen a handful of classic 1 hitters. Never a no no. At Busch today, Wacha no hitter broken up by 1st batter in 9th. Thought this was the going to be the one.

Marlins are getting their asses kicked by the D-Bags.

It happens all the time.

Understanding arithmetic makes one a contrarian now? Only in America!
    Yes, 1/3 into the season the first place team is a half game behind the second-place team. Happens all the time.

We're not talking about the beginning of the season when a win or two throw the standings out of whack.

Tigers take Casey with the fist draft pick today. This kid is the real deal and will be a star starter within a year or two I guarantee it. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...gers-no-1-pick

And your Tigers struck out Judge 8 times in one day today. What a bum!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    And your Tigers struck out Judge 8 times in one day today. What a bum!
    Most teams would love to have the bum on their team. Even yours.

Tommy John for the Yankees' Jordan Montgomery.

Time to call up the next one. They have some good budding talent in the system.

Tommy John for the Yankees' Jordan Montgomery.

Time to call up the next one. They have some good budding talent in the system.
    With so many good players especially in the bullpen and on the farm, I think they will be trading for starting pitching soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    With so many good players especially in the bullpen and on the farm, I think they will be trading for starting pitching soon.
    They need two of them.

I don't expect Tyler Austin or Austin Romine to be around long. Andujar has increased his trade value lots this year as well. The sudden need for pitching could also make Didi Gregorius available. Dave Robertson might have some trade value.

I don't expect Tyler Austin or Austin Romine to be around long. Andujar has increased his trade value lots this year as well. The sudden need for pitching could also make Didi Gregorius available. Dave Robertson might have some trade value.
    Romine isn't going anywhere. I could see Tyler Austin and Aaron Hicks going away. They need to make room for Clint Frazier. Andujar looks like the real deal and will be a Yankee for a long time. I honestly don't even think Machado is on theie radar anymore.

I'd rather see Milwaukee acquire more starting pitching.

After this weekend, of course.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd rather see Milwaukee acquire more starting pitching.

After this weekend, of course.
    HUH?

Head-to-head this weekend, Geez. My guys vs. your guys. I'll be at Sunday's game.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Head-to-head this weekend, Geez. My guys vs. your guys. I'll be at Sunday's game.
    Where are you sitting? Wear a funny hat so I can find you!

I'll be wearing red.

I'll be wearing red.
    I'd be embarrassed, too.