Page 17 of 96 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Red Sox bitch slapped the hell out of the Yankees!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

It was an entertaining day and night of baseball today.

Lucky Man
    Ouch @ 14 -1! Good thing it's such a long season.

Look, guys. This baseball debate is not really a new development. It's ok to hate on the Yankees. Happens all the time. Hate away. This Yankee fan is also a sorta closet Cardinal fan. As a kid my amongst my heroes was the aforementioned Lou Brock. Aa recently as the classic (gm.6!)2011 World Series I rooted St. Louis v. Texas.

I sometimes may seem as though I position myself as above the fray.

So, a little story is in order.

Yanks/Rays. Probably around spring 2011. It was early in the season. Not too cold like this year. Somewhat nice.

Hmm, 2nd inning. Carlos Pena at bat is hit by the pitch on a check swing, his right hand, a finger.

Ouch.

My older son and I are holding court in one of those bleacher boxes out in right centerfield. Kind of an elevated almost dais, I felt like he and I were Nero and co. giving thumbs up or down. Great place to see a ballgame.

So this injury begins to occupy some time as Pena at first tries to return to the batter's box, then the pain overtakes him. Turned out to be broken index finger, I think. But I wound up yelling at him(and I am loud. I can make myself be heard.), "C'mon! Either go to the bench or get in the batter's box! Play some ball!"

He wound up being on the DL for some time. And I always felt like the typical asshole Yankee fan.

Which, I am.

Thank you.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Red Sox bitch slapped the hell out of the Yankees!
    Yes they did. It's one game.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post

It was an entertaining day and night of baseball today.
    When's the parade in St. Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Ouch @ 14 -1! Good thing it's such a long season.

Look, guys. This baseball debate is not really a new development. It's ok to hate on the Yankees. Happens all the time. Hate away.
    That's right. We can't all agree. Won't change anything.

Being a Yankees fan, you learn to deal with the hate. But, you never do get tired of the World Championships, either.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Look, guys. This baseball debate is not really a new development. It's ok to hate on the Yankees. Happens all the time. Hate away. This Yankee fan is also a sorta closet Cardinal fan. As a kid my amongst my heroes was the aforementioned Lou Brock. Aa recently as the classic (gm.6!)2011 World Series I rooted St. Louis v. Texas.
    I was at Game 6 in the 2011 World Series, one section over from where Freese's game winning HR landed. Surreal and magnificent experience, up there with the greatest sporting events I've ever seen. Our "Carlton Fisk" game (which I said even before the game winning walk off HR), except the Cards went on to win Game 7 and the Series, unlike the 75 Red Sox.

Just to clarify, I don't "hate" the Yankees as a ballclub. Some people don't seem to get this, but if you read back through this thread a few pages, I have said nothing negative at all about the Yankees BALLCLUB. In fact, I've been defending one of their players. My comments have all been directed at the loudmouth, swarthy, unshowered, knuckledragging cretins in the FANBASE who are booing their star acquisition in his first game in pinstripes on Opening Day and first week etc. That is it. Its a good chunk of the fanbase that is the problem, the arrogance, the self-entitlement etc that gives off the bad vibes and bad reputation.

My first baseball idol growing up was Mickey Mantle (even before Harmon Killebrew). I read "The Baseball Life of Mickey Mantle", one of those Scholastic paperback books you bought at school about a dozen times. I actually saw Mantle play in 1968 at old Metropolitan Stadium against the Twins (grew up in Minnesota) in one of the first games I ever went to. I know and respect the Yankees tradition over the years (for the most part, with some exceptions)--you can't understand baseball history without knowing the Yankees. As a Cardinals fan who cherishes baseball history, with the Cardinals being the most successful NL franchise and 2nd to the Yankees in WS titles, I get it.

I made sure I went to every one of the Yankees games vs the Cardinals at Busch in Jeter's final year so I could be part of giving him a standing ovation and paying my respects to Jeter, who I think was someone to admire, and dare I say came close to having a Musial-like public persona and presence about him as a player. By pure happenstance, I actually met both Dr. and Mrs. Jeter at the 2009 All Star Game in St. Louis. My son and I were having something to eat in a food court area of Busch before the game and we happened to end up sitting down at a table with this couple in Yankees garb whom I recognized had to be Jeter's parents, and sure enough it was and we spoke with them and talked baseball, it was very cool, as expected very nice and humble people. I made a special trip to see a game at old Yankee Stadium its last year in conjunction with being out east at Nearfest, so I could take in the history and see it in person. In fact, I even bought 2 tickets in different areas of the Stadium so I could see the game from a few different perspectives. I cherish the Cardinals-Yankees World Series history, with some classic and historic matchups, and I regret that over the last 25 years or so we have missed out on several potential Cards-Yankees World Series matchups (1996, Cards blew a 3-1 lead to Braves in NLCS; 2004, Yanks blew the 3-0 lead to Red Sox in ALCS etc). So I am far from a typical generic "Yankee hater" for the record. But I am a midwest guy and there is a difference in fanbase experiences compared with the east coast, so that doesn't mean I am not going to call out a spoiled fanbase when warranted, or comment on the overdone and excessive constant media hype and exposure they get, and maybe even cite facts to keep the arrogance in check, like point out that the Yanks have only won 1 WS Champ. in the last 17 years.

The Brewers-Cards game isn't on any tv locally & MLB Network (I only have the main channel), so I have to use this thing that has sound but no picture. I think it's called a radio.

Doc P, is it blacked out in StL?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Brewers-Cards game isn't on any tv locally & MLB Network (I only have the main channel), so I have to use this thing that has sound but no picture. I think it's called a radio.

Doc P, is it blacked out in StL?
    This is a really bad idea by MLB.

I understand if they want to promote their streaming platforms, but not everyone wants to watch a game that way.

Rob Manfred is worse than Bud Selig.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That ESPN baseball crew is beyond awful. They don't even pay attention to the game. It's like sitting in their man cave and listening to their banter while a game is playing far away in the background.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That ESPN baseball crew is beyond awful. They don't even pay attention to the game. It's like sitting in their man cave and listening to their banter while a game is playing far away in the background.
    Instead of promoting how great their game is, MLB is SCREAMING that their game is boring and needs to be changed.

So screwed-up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I could forgive them last night as it was 14-1 to the Red Sox, they were struggling to find things to talk about.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Been following along for the last few pages. Baseball really is religion. I kind of envy you guys. Kinda........

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Been following along for the last few pages. Baseball really is religion. I kind of envy you guys. Kinda........
    I follow baseball closely. I follow fantasy baseball more closely. But in the last 10 years I've really become more of a fan of the sport of baseball than of any particular team. Sure, the Red Sox are my team since I was a child. But I think the three WS titles I have witnessed in my lifetime is enough for me to consider "paid off" for my loyalty.

It's much more liberating these days to watch sports through a different lens. I can watch Oakland/Marlins and find something to enjoy because I'm knowledgable about the players. So I've shed the tribal behavior aspect (for the most part) of my sports affiliations and just enjoy the game.

And I am glad I did as well as we have become more of a tribal culture more than ever imo.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I could forgive them last night as it was 14-1 to the Red Sox, they were struggling to find things to talk about.
    If it were only an aberration. It's been every broadcast for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You did note my signature, right?

I grew up a SF Giants fan. I went to many games at Candlestick Park. But, living in Florida since 1984 I've been disconnected from Calif. So I missed the joy of the Giants winning those World Series. Well, screw it. I'll still take the second WS the Marlins won against the Yankees, in 6 games. I've never seen so many Yankees fans in Miami eat crow.

If it were only an aberration. It's been every broadcast for years.

You did note my signature, right?
    Yes. It's hilarious.

But what is even more of a religion to you is the Beatles. To me The Beatles are more important than baseball.......

There was a brawl in the Rockies/Padres game today. Nolan Arenado charged the mound after Luis Perdomo hit him. Perdomo is pretty funny to watch, if you can catch the video.

(Is there a way to embed non-YouTube video here?)

Why do I think you won't mind this, Ron?

Brewers take 2 of 3 from Cards in StL without both Yelich & Cain.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There was a brawl in the Rockies/Padres game today. Nolan Arenado charged the mound after Luis Perdomo hit him. Perdomo is pretty funny to watch, if you can catch the video.

Perdomo runs well backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Why do I think you won't mind this, Ron?

Brewers take 2 of 3 from Cards in StL without both Yelich & Cain.
    I have no problem with the Cardinals, just some of their fans.

I have no problem with the Cardinals, just some of their fans.
    That's my point.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Salami two nights in a row.

There was a brawl in the Rockies/Padres game today. Nolan Arenado charged the mound after Luis Perdomo hit him.
    There was a brawl in the Yankees/Red Sox game tonight. Tyler Austin charged the mound after Joe Kelly hit him.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/benches-emp...es/c-271768568
    Last edited by Obscured; 04-11-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The New York Mets have the best record in baseball, 10-1. Amazin'. 6-0 road trip, 8 straight victories. Everyday a new hero. Last night's star was Don Mattingly. Jarlin Garcia had a no-hitter through 6 for the Marlins, and only threw 77 pitches as he was completely dominating the Mets with the Marlins up 1-0. But Donnie Baseball thought Garcia had thrown enough for his first big league start and (ahem) yanked Garcia from the game. Garcia was a relief pitcher up till last night. Yada, yada, yada...Mets won 4-1 behind Zack Wheeler's first start of 2018. Wheeler gave up a homer to the second batter he faced, then only allowed another one hit before being taken out after 7 innings. I'm old school so this pulling a pitcher tossing a no-no still won't ever make sense to me unless he's hurt, has thrown 9/10+ innings already or is above 125+ pitches...the discussion has come up here before and I know many of you support my beliefs. But anywho. ..Thanks Donnie B!!!

Amazin'
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I wouldn't put that one on Mattingly, for the reasons you state: 77 pitches for a guy who has always been a reliever until last night. That's a lot of pitches for a guy who's only used to pitching to a few hitters. Even for a long reliever, they're not usually throwing 80 pitches at a time. If he already has 77 pitches in the 6th, then it theoretically would take another 40-ish pitches for him to complete the no-hitter, and there's no way you do that to a guy in his first long outing.