Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifeson confirms Rush break up, will not reunite again.

Lifeson confirms Rush break up, will not reunite again.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/al...-rush-breakup/
    **After 41 years we felt it was enough. **

In the past he left the door open for one offs here and there but that is not the case now.
    Last edited by Obscured; 01-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm disappointed but not surprised. Thanks to Rush for all the Great Music they've done and as the song from Clockwork Angels says, "Wish Them Well".

They had a great run.

seriously doubt that "one-offs" would really happen.
    G.A.S -aholic

I believed Peart when he said he was retired since drumming had become so physically demanding. I thought there was a possibility they would make a new album but realize how important touring was to Lee and maybe Lifeson.

Still, I think the chances are high that Lee and Lifeson willl have an album out next year. In place of a "chorus of Geddys" they can play with three great drummers.

It's always sad to see classic bands go well past their expiration date. I'd say these guys just barely did, and chose the best time to bow out while still close to the top of their game.

For those of you that wanted more....

More power to them; may all three enjoy a well-deserved retirement full of whatever the hell they each want to do!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm not counting out Geddy and Alex collaborating on projects in the future. Geddy was almost talked into putting together a little tour for My Favorite Headache, and I have a feeling the itch to play live will be hard to ignore.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 01-22-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Still, I think the chances are high that Lee and Lifeson willl have an album out next year. In place of a "chorus of Geddys" they can play with three great drummers.
    This is wishful thinking, and there are more and more reasons to believe that this won't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm not counting Geddy and Alex collaborating on projects in the future. Geddy was almost talked into putting together a little tour for My Favorite Headache, and I have a feeling the itch to play live will be hard to ignore.
    Now this I can see happening. Lee is still ready and able, and doesn't seem to have the physical limitations of his two bandmates.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Have any Rush members appeared in other bands?

Maybe that glam band Ennuf Z'Nuff was on to something when they named themselves.

I'm sure if he wants to, Lee can "hired gun" and "guest" himself all over the place on bass, vox, keys (separately or simultaneously).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    As official band members, no. But they've guested on other artists' works.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is wishful thinking, and there are more and more reasons to believe that this won't be the case.
    But there is one major reason to think it isn't unlikely: they have been writing and playing with each other since Nero played his violin as Rome burned to a fine crisp. From what I read, both wanted to keep going not only with touring but writing after the final tour. I can see them playing most of the new album, maybe seven Rush songs, and close with two more new songs.

(Of course, I'd want a one hour encore of Rush songs following that.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    More power to them; may all three enjoy a well-deserved retirement full of whatever the hell they each want to do!
    Exactly good for them. Same with the dignity comment. I know there are a lot of amazing senior citizens these days but there's a time to move on. If they still want to compose and produce music great. Good move.

I went to the 40th anniv show and while I really enjoyed it, felt it was probably a good time to call it a career. Geddy's voice is noticeably more limited and weaker on the last few tours I've seen. Their newer albums have been ok but nothing fantastic for a few decades. Lets be honest, they have been riding on fumes for awhile. Seeing Peart drum was always the big attraction for me which was primarily why I went to the concerts, along with hearing the older material.

They were fortunate to have enough radio play and widespread appeal over the years to really have a nice career more in the mainstream spotlight than most prog bands, and its pretty cool they were one of the few bands who pretty much had no personnel changes and stayed together as a power trio all these years, so kudos on a great career.

^^ Beat me to it!!!

Well, so be it. I'm glad to have seen four of their five best tours (IMO) and then caught them on the 30th anniversary tour, which was great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Rust.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't think they would reunite for a live show, but I could see them after another couple of years (even Neil) deciding to do another album. Unless just doing an album doesn't work financially.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Unless just doing an album doesn't work financially.
    I don't have numbers handy, but I'm pretty sure that Rush have been one of the few "older" rock bands that still makes decent money on their recordings. I'd assume anything these guys did in the studio in the future -- together or individually -- would more than pay for itself.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

With Max Webster, "Battle Scar".
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I don't have numbers handy, but I'm pretty sure that Rush have been one of the few "older" rock bands that still makes decent money on their recordings. I'd assume anything these guys did in the studio in the future -- together or individually -- would more than pay for itself.
    The last three albums have each sold around 300,000 by now.
    Hold Your Fire, Presto, Counterparts, and Test For Echo each sold over 500,000 copies.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Bon voyage!

It is a sad day to see them go, but they had a great run of it.

Freeze this moment
    A little bit longer
    Make each sensation
    A little bit stronger

Experience slips away
    Experience slips away
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Fuck. I realize I'm bereft, and am crying over it.

I'm not holding a grudge against anyone. A great and glorious thing is no more, and I am sad for it.

Into oblivion lads! So we all will go...
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I predict Geddy Lee will make one more solo album, maybe with some input from Lifeson and Ben Mink, and then do a smallish tour or so. He's got no lack of guests who'd beg to play on his album, so he might get some Marco Minnemanns or Derek Sherinians to kick in a few bits here and there. Seriously, he had a blast playing with Yes, and he'd always commented on how he wished the "Crossroads" jam at the end of the earlier HOF induction would last forever. Music is too deep in his blood and he definitely doesn't seem like he's finished.

As for Rush, yeah... they had a good run and made some great albums. They made it to their 40th anniversary, and for many people, that's a valid retirement age. Bless Lee, Lifeson and Peart and may they enjoy fully the rest of their days.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yeah, it was a good time to step down but given they still played to packed arenas and produced new, vital material right up to the end puts them in rarefied air. I can think of bands that maybe toured a tad bit longer, like the Rolling Stones, but they (the Stones) hadn't produced an album, or even song for that matter, that I needed to hear twice. Lord knows there's plenty of material documenting Rush live that surely should scratch that itch.