Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Lifeson confirms Rush break up, will not reunite again.

I eventually grew to really like Everyday Glory, a song I was only lukewarm on when it was brand new. I think I just needed to age a bit before that one clicked. I liked Nobody's Hero right off the bat, and I suppose for people around here the second verse hits home (if you don't know the story, Google Paul Bernardo or Kristen French... horrific murder in the early 90s that scarred a lot of people in southern Ontario.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like the Counterparts album. It's not my fave Rush album but at the time it seemed to be an important transition for them, moving back to a harder sound. Of course I am an unreliable narrator because I find something I like in almost every Rush album. And as Geddy says, "Double Agent" is demented:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This performance of 2112 made me smile today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEd7pR3M1s

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like the Counterparts album. It's not my fave Rush album but at the time it seemed to be an important transition for them, moving back to a harder sound. Of course I am an unreliable narrator because I find something I like in almost every Rush album. And as Geddy says, "Double Agent" is demented:

Forgot how good that song was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just had a refresher listen to it. I take back saying it goes nowhere - Lifeson plays enough of his raggedy solos to satisfy me. But the song does sort of plod along. Considering the song is about love moving/happening quickly in many different way, it seems like the song ought to be played almost twice as fast as it is. But I like it enough that I don't skip it. I usually don't skip tracks, but I might skip Nobody's Hero or Everyday Glory - they just kind of bore me. Maybe I wouldn't skip Nobody's Hero, but Everyday Glory is a lame closing song, kind of like Countdown to me - I prefer a more dynamic closing song, like Between the Wheels.
    Listening to 'Speed of Love' now in my office - must admit I still think it's one of the best tracks on Counterparts. As much as anything I love its dreamy, almost languid (by Rush standards) feel. Love the lyrics, too - unusual for Peart to write anything quite so unabashedly romantic. I think at the time they hadn't really done anything quite like this thematically before, and that certainly appeals. I think the other thing that's important is that Geddy could still sing at this point, and that makes a HUGE difference to me. They'd never have been able to pull a track like this off by the time of their last couple of albums.

Agreed on 'Everyday Glory,' though: it really is a lame track. in fact it sounds to me like subpar holdover from the Roll the Bones or Presto era to my ears - my least favourite Rush period.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    So I listened to Signals yesterday, after reading this thread. I have actually never heard it before (that I can recall, anyway), though I knew a couple of the songs quite well already. I thought it was a fantastic album and can't believe I let people convince me way back in the day that it wasn't any good and not worth hearing. It's strange, because I did end up listening to GUP, PW, and HYF back then, and I found I loved the first two but wasn't crazy about the third. I'm going to go back and listen to all three again this weekend as it's been years. Thanks to most of the commenters on this thread for reminding me how great Rush still was during the 80's. I remember being disappointed with Presto (though I've always loved Show Don't Tell), and when I heard the song Roll The Bones I decided I was done with Rush. May have to give a listen to some of those later albums now as well...........
    The only way you're going to know what you think of something is to experience it yourself and that applies to everything, it's not exclusive to Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    RTB is one of those albums where I think all of the best songs are wayyyyyy better represented on the many subsequent live releases, so I rarely listen to it.
    Most of that studio album is a tease when compared in a live setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    after Counterparts their music started to get more raw and less technical....
    I wouldn't say Counterparts is very technical at all, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.
    Overall I might prefer Test For Echo more with the exception of maybe Leave That Thing Alone, Everyday Glory, Nobody's Hero,Double Agent, Animate and Between Sun And Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Sounds like a new Yes album.

I was just about to say that but I learned to "Resist."

^ At the Speed Of Love is one of the better “Rush songs that kind of goes nowhere.” It’s not great but I can listen to it.
    Least fave for me on that album by far.

Just had a refresher listen to it. I take back saying it goes nowhere - Lifeson plays enough of his raggedy solos to satisfy me. But the song does sort of plod along. Considering the song is about love moving/happening quickly in many different way, it seems like the song ought to be played almost twice as fast as it is. But I like it enough that I don't skip it. I usually don't skip tracks, but I might skip Nobody's Hero or Everyday Glory - they just kind of bore me. Maybe I wouldn't skip Nobody's Hero, but Everyday Glory is a lame closing song, kind of like Countdown to me - I prefer a more dynamic closing song, like Between the Wheels.
    I have to say Everyday Glory is a pretty inspiring, uplifting and dynamic song to me. Totally anthemic in the Rush tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I eventually grew to really like Everyday Glory, a song I was only lukewarm on when it was brand new. I think I just needed to age a bit before that one clicked. I liked Nobody's Hero right off the bat, and I suppose for people around here the second verse hits home (if you don't know the story, Google Paul Bernardo or Kristen French... horrific murder in the early 90s that scarred a lot of people in southern Ontario.)
    That's one song I think needed to be played live, but it probably fell through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    RTB is one of those albums where I think all of the best songs are wayyyyyy better represented on the many subsequent live releases, so I rarely listen to it.

That is my standard formula for ALL post-Broon Rush albums.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I have been listening to a lot of the post-Brown albums the last couple years - picking out the gems among the turds. There are a handful of bands that I have played the bejesus out of since the 70s and when revisiting them I tend to check out live shows, lesser albums that I might have passed over in the day, or rarities/unreleased. So that's what I do with Rush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    You rarely listen to Grace Under Pressure?

Alex should write his memoirs, This is hilarious:

https://www.westendphoenix.com/may-2...lesque-theatre

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Funny - I wonder how true it is? Did they each hitchhike home separately?

Great "illustration."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That was a great story. It figures that a guy who'd accept his RRHoF induction with a blah-blah-blah speech probably has a great sense of humor and little sense of self-important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Alex should write his memoirs, This is hilarious:

https://www.westendphoenix.com/may-2...lesque-theatre
    Wow. I'd read a book of that kind of stuff. That was great!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. I'd read a book of that kind of stuff. That was great!
    Lol, ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    That's pretty much my standard for all Rush songs where applicable. Live is where the magic happens.