Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KINO - "Radio Voltaire" coming in March

Actually, Pete was quite involved with Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Actually, Pete was quite involved with Picture.
    Not saying he wasn't, but it seemed to me the album was mostly the result of Mitchell and Beck writing together with Trewavas adding a few of his bits here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Not saying he wasn't, but it seemed to me the album was mostly the result of Mitchell and Beck writing together with Trewavas adding a few of his bits here and there.
    From an old interview on DPRP:
    Pete: It started with me joining... what I thought would be John Mitchell and John Beck, but it started off with just myself and John Mitchell writing a few songs. I'd go over to his studio, because he lives near me, I'd go there once a week or so and we try and arrange a song and then we were kind of doing it like arranging a demo-song and you know every time I was there, I asked "when's John joining, when can we really get started on this" And then John finished his tour with Alan Parsons and heard what we were up to and I think then decided that what we were doing was going to be a good album so he joined us.
    We had quite a lot of music and he obviously wanted to get more involved in the writing process, and you know, that's what we wanted to do all along anyway, so that suited us perfectly. So we arranged a few of those songs and we wrote a few more songs together and John brought a couple of songs like Swimming In Women.

So it seems it was more Pete and John Mitchell with John Beck adding bits.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    From an old interview on DPRP:
    Pete: It started with me joining... what I thought would be John Mitchell and John Beck, but it started off with just myself and John Mitchell writing a few songs. I'd go over to his studio, because he lives near me, I'd go there once a week or so and we try and arrange a song and then we were kind of doing it like arranging a demo-song and you know every time I was there, I asked "when's John joining, when can we really get started on this" And then John finished his tour with Alan Parsons and heard what we were up to and I think then decided that what we were doing was going to be a good album so he joined us.
    We had quite a lot of music and he obviously wanted to get more involved in the writing process, and you know, that's what we wanted to do all along anyway, so that suited us perfectly. So we arranged a few of those songs and we wrote a few more songs together and John brought a couple of songs like Swimming In Women.

So it seems it was more Pete and John Mitchell with John Beck adding bits.
    I stand corrected. I must have read this interview at the time as I was on DPRP very often, but I didn't remember it. I was aware that Pete had written a few bits, Room For Two comes to mind. The fact that Mitchell and Beck went on to turn Kino into It Bites must have influenced my recollection of how Kino started.

Here's a track to whet the appetite... (officially released)

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

To my ears, sounds like Lonely Robot with some John Beck window dressing. Not bad, not great. I did read there's a 10-minute track penned by Pete on the cd.

Only in for the Trewavas....
    Last edited by ytserush; 03-04-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Just got off the phone with John Mitchell after an enjoyable interview about the new album. I've had a promo copy for a week or so and I can say that it is great! I doubt you'll be disappointed if you like the first one, or even the Lonely Robot stuff. Pete wrote four of the tracks and all four of them are winners IMO.

BTW, fans of It Bites may be interested to know that there are plans afoot to record...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Excellent news all-around.

Totally jealous that you got to interview John Mitchell. I've become a bit of a fanboy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Excellent news all-around.

Totally jealous that you got to interview John Mitchell. I've become a bit of a fanboy.
    Haha... of all the interviews I've done, this was not the one I expected to elicit jealousy. But he was a great guy to talk to, it was a nice conversation/chat as opposed to a clinical interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just got off the phone with John Mitchell after an enjoyable interview about the new album. I've had a promo copy for a week or so and I can say that it is great! I doubt you'll be disappointed if you like the first one, or even the Lonely Robot stuff. Pete wrote four of the tracks and all four of them are winners IMO.

BTW, fans of It Bites may be interested to know that there are plans afoot to record...

Great news! When, what, who etc?

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Great news! When, what, who etc?
    That's all I got out of him. No details at present, but it sounded pretty promising.

Question, Can someone like a John Mitchell survive solely being a full time musician???

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Question, Can someone like a John Mitchell survive solely being a full time musician???
    I think he has a lot of irons in the fire - multiple projects, producing, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think he has a lot of irons in the fire - multiple projects, producing, etc.
    I imagine that's pretty much the only way anyone in a similar boat can be full-time at this point.

I finally got around to listening to this. It is VERY good. Much better than Picture and perhaps even better than the two It Bites albums with Mitchell. It has the punchy production you associate with Mitchell with some fine-tuned artful pop craft as well. "Beatlesque" gets thrown around far too much, but there's at least a couple of songs on here that were very much in that vein. Plus, the last song ends on a long, tasteful guitar solo from Mitchell, on an album that's rather light on guitar wankery. VERY light on that, actually.

It's totally recommended; I honestly was not expecting it to be this good.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I finally got around to listening to this. It is VERY good. Much better than Picture and perhaps even better than the two It Bites albums with Mitchell. It has the punchy production you associate with Mitchell with some fine-tuned artful pop craft as well. "Beatlesque" gets thrown around far too much, but there's at least a couple of songs on here that were very much in that vein. Plus, the last song ends on a long, tasteful guitar solo from Mitchell, on an album that's rather light on guitar wankery. VERY light on that, actually.

To each his own... I clearly didn't keep my hopes up for a new Kino album but never thought I'd be so disappointed if it happened. For me this one is inferior to Picture on every level: the melodies don't stick with me, the songs don't have that subtle prog twist that kept them from being bland AOR. It will be hard to replace Radio Voltaire as my disappointment of the year.
    Clearly I'm the minority though seeing the rave reviews that this album is getting.

To each his own... I clearly didn't keep my hopes up for a new Kino album but never thought I'd be so disappointed if it happened. For me this one is inferior to Picture on every level: the melodies don't stick with me, the songs don't have that subtle prog twist that kept them from being bland AOR. It will be hard to replace Radio Voltaire as my disappointment of the year.
    Clearly I'm the minority though seeing the rave reviews that this album is getting.
    I agree. I liked Pictures back in the day but this is just awful.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Wow. Can't believe this at all. I've listened to it three times already since I started. Different strokes indeed.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I'm not going to say that it's awful, but it was underwhelming. I've only listened once or twice, but there isn't much that's drawing me back.

But I felt that way about the second album Mitchell did with It Bites, and I really like that one, now. I'll just have to spin this one more.

Wow. Can't believe this at all. I've listened to it three times already since I started. Different strokes indeed.
    I wouldn't call it awful in fact it's pleasant, but it doesn't resonate with me at all and I find it rather bland. I must have listened to it 3 or 4 times fir it to click but there's nothing that makes me want to come back to it. Your enthusiasm seems to be shared by many though.

I wouldn't call it awful in fact it's pleasant, but it doesn't resonate with me at all and I find it rather bland. I must have listened to it 3 or 4 times fir it to click but there's nothing that makes me want to come back to it.
    Exactly how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Big John Mitchell fan and his work with Arena, Frost, Lonely Robot.
    I've been trying to get a copy of It Bites It Happened One Night DVD if anyone knows where I can find it, I'd appreciate it. The internet yields nothing and ebay posts the Clark Gable movie.. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I think what's missing are the writing/arranging/singing talents of John Beck. While he does provide keyboards, his involvement this time is more "window dressing" than at the ground level. As such, the whole cd really comes off as Lonely Robot part III with some input from Pete. Not a bad thing, but not quite the Kino that did Picture, which most here (including myself) prefer.

I’m aligned with ThomasK. Did not expect to like it too much but actually LOVE it. Spun it 3 or 4 times and looking forward to the next listen.