Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: The Heliocentrics - A World of Masks

FEATURED ALBUM: The Heliocentrics - A World of Masks

The Heliocentrics have several releases, but I only discovered them myself in 2017 with the release of A World of Masks. The album is a compelling mix of psych, funk and jazz, but seamlessly adding modern elements such as hip-hop/trip-hop into the fold. And that description does not do it justice.

Review from NPR:
    When a band is capable of many musical styles, it can be thrilling to hear them all on a single album. But it can be just as fun when the group dives deep into one mode, focusing their musical experience and artistic imagination into a coherent vision. That's how the Heliocentrics' fourth album, A World of Masks, feels. The UK-based ensemble, which has included up to nine members, has in the past delved into hip-hop (first making their name on DJ Shadow's 2006 album The Outsider), jazz, psych, funk, Afrobeat and more.

A World of Masks hints at all those styles, since musical diversity is baked into the Heliocentrics' musical DNA. But throughout 11 tracks totaling 45 minutes, the group concentrates primarily on otherworldly psych-funk. Each piece feels like part of an overall suite, a kind of limitless cosmic jam the band could seemingly play forever. Heliocentrics songs always originate from improvisation, but that's clearer this time around. The loose nature of their unfettered journeys evoke European collectives like Can and Träd, Gräs och Stenar as much as space travelers like Funkadelic and Sun Ra (who, not coincidentally, made two albums in the '60s called The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra).

The focus on A World of Masks comes partially from a new development. Heliocentrics tunes are usually instrumental, but on more than half the album's songs, Slovokian singer Barbora Patkova improvises lyrics, often in her native language. Her vocals are just as space-bound as the Heliocentrics' music – at times she evokes the striking Sun Ra Arkestra singer June Tyson – but they also provide a framework for the band's elastic jams. The album opens with her most out-front performance, as she sears across the slow build of "Made of the Sun," forging a vocal-instrumental symbiosis that persists throughout A World of Masks.

Patkova's presence allows the Heliocentrics to swirl sounds around her, shifting constantly like magnets seeking a pole. On the title track, rumbling percussion and persistent bass gather until flutes break in, mimicking Patkova like birds. Her croons in "Oh Brother" enhance the music by both reflecting it and pulling it higher. Patkova's presence is so affecting that you can hear her echoes even in instrumental tracks. Take "Square Wave," a meditative bass-drum cycle replete with guitar ascensions that resemble soaring voices.

On an album filled with far-reaching travels, The Heliocentrics save their most expansive trip for last. Closer "The Uncertainty Principle" starts with a cloud of electronics and bass — as if the universe itself is slowly warming up — then hits an insistent pulse and a web of sun-lit sounds. As on all of A World of Masks, the band doesn't force its peaks; all the momentum comes from playing what comes naturally and letting the rest take care of itself. That patience is one of the Heliocentrics' many strengths, and A World of Masks showcases it perfectly.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I love some of their other records, and got this one when it came out, but it really hasn't made much impression on me. The fault may be mine of course. Probably I should give it another workout on the headphones.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Like Cozy, I think this could be their best one to date, but it's kind of difficult to may a proper gradation of their discography, since most of their albums have been done in collab with externals (Ofredo Julius, Astatke, Lloyd Miller and Van Peebles)

BTW, I didn't get the same vibe at all from the weird soundtrack Sunshine Makers of theirs that also come out last hear.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

On my top 5 albums from 2017. Exquisite!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Apparently they need marketing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Yup, or elme this is a second Featured Album thread in a row that won't go past page 1
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Apparently they need marketing.
    Friends,
    In my case, it’s waiting for the 1st spin!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I’m not a poster who says ‘I like this’ too often but, damn, I like this! I’m picking it up for sure. More about this band’s output please!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    More about this band’s output please!
    There debut "Out There" is also a must have. And catch them live if given the opportunity; they're awesome.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    I’m not a poster who says ‘I like this’ too often but, damn, I like this! I’m picking it up for sure. More about this band’s output please!
    Difficult to really point you to another album of theirs, because over 50% of Heliocentric albums are collabs with other artistes, including the Ethiopîan Astatke and the South-African Orlando Julius (Saw them last October with him)

None of their albums sound like each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Friends,
    In my case, it’s waiting for the 1st spin!.
    Friends,
    After several days with it, I have to tell you that I - L O V E - "A World of Masks" and, definitely, the addition of singer Barbora Patkova is a plus: you might love her or you might hate her!!.
    "A World of Masks" is on my top 10 for this past 2017!.

I have also been reviewing "Lloyd Miller & the Heliocentrics": is a different "beast" and an excellent collaboration ... I really enjoy that "spiritual jazz" vibe!.
    These records are so different but I really enjoy both!.

Lloyd Miller & the Heliocentrics.

Want some more!!
    Pura Vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 02-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.