Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Of Contact have split

Sound Of Contact have split

Looks like they are over for good. They've definitely had some problems (as bands do). It's a shame, I was looking forward to the followup to Dimensionaut.

From Simon Collins earlier today:

Hi all, Simon here. We are very sorry to deliver this news, but Kelly Avril Nordstrom and I have decided to leave Sound of Contact for reasons we can not share out of respect to the rest of the band. We will be releasing a proper statement from the entire band shortly. We have no words to describe how sorry we are to all our fans. You will hear more from us shortly.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That sucks, but not totally unsurprising given some of the things Dave Kerzner has posted on his facebook page recently.

Well that sucks.

That's a shame. Their first album was quite good. I guess Dave Kerzner still has a lot to offer, though, according to what he's said on his page. I'll look for his next one.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I was a bit surprised. I don't follow too closely, but from the posts I saw Squids make, the followup album seemed to be coming along nicely.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess the reason they gave for cancelling the appearance on CTTE might be the same reason they're breaking up: Logistical Reasons. I'm sure it's hard to keep momentum going when the band is split between the UK and the US.

Somehow I am not surprised at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That sucks, but not totally unsurprising given some of the things Dave Kerzner has posted on his facebook page recently.
    Not surprising at all with this band. Of course, there's 3-sides to every story...

Dave's posts have been very diplomatic. He hasn't blamed anyone, and simply accepts that this is what's happened, and looking toward the future. And hoping somehow the new songs the band wrote will eventually be released in some form.

seems it's really hard for bands to stay together. Maybe they could use some counseling.

I was looking forward to their next album, but it isn't that surprising given their history. Glad I caught them when I could.

I'm sure we'll salvage something out of it and maybe Simon and Kelly's songs will be released through whatever their plans are. I really don't know. As for me, I've just released a studio album called "Static", I'm doing a live album/concert video right now and I'm also pretty far along on my next studio album so I've got enough going on to keep me busy and content.

No use dwelling in the past. Life's short. None of this really matters that much. We all get attached to things sometimes. It's important to be able to let go of what isn't working.
    Last edited by Squids; 01-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess the reason they gave for cancelling the appearance on CTTE might be the same reason they're breaking up: Logistical Reasons. I'm sure it's hard to keep momentum going when the band is split between the UK and the US.
    Or more likely the reason given for not making the cruise was the fact the band was in the process of breaking up?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Or more likely the reason given for not making the cruise was the fact the band was in the process of breaking up?
    It may appear that way, but I don't think that's actually the case. Perhaps the cruise cancellation didn't help matters, but Squids has said that until yesterday morning, there was a four piece band, and he found out when everyone else did that two of them had left.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The "official" reason giving for cancelling the CTTE appearance was "Logistical Reasons." As Progatron points out, they hadn't yet announced two of the band members had left until yesterday.

Correct that wasn't the reason. This was fresh news. The four man band was still intact when the cruise announcement was made. That had more to do with international travel issues. I'm still performing on CTTE with my US-based solo band but I was really looking forward to performing all of Dimensionaut on the cruise with these four guys. Sadly I don't think that will ever happen. Oh well. Water under the bridge at this point.

Ahhh well. It's a shame but these things happen unfortunately. On the bright side, you have a lifetime of music-making ahead of you, regardless of who it ends up being with. Bands dissolve, but musicians continue.

Love "Dimensionaut." Love "New World." Bought "Static" this morning from Bandcamp.

Great music finds a way of getting out to the world, keep moving forward!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Love "Dimensionaut." Love "New World." Bought "Static" this morning from Bandcamp.

Great music finds a way of getting out to the world, keep moving forward!
    Be sure to check out the Static Live Kickstarter campaign!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ideo-and-album

Banned
    The announcement of this 2nd SOC album was around April of 2015. Maybe this goes to show, if a band can’t make an album within a year’s time, it ain’t gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The announcement of this 2nd SOC album was around April of 2015. Maybe this goes to show, if a band can’t make an album within a year’s time, it ain’t gonna happen.
    Not necessarily true for all but I do think momentum is really important. There are ideal windows of time to keep things building and following up. I admire artists like Steven Wilson or Steve Hackett who are so prolific. They just keep the albums coming. I aspire to be more like them in that way.

This news bums me out. I really liked Dimensionaut and would have liked to hear a follow up. But it sounds like there will be new music regardless, just not as SoC.

I think I'm going to take Dimensionaut in the car with me for my morning commute tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This news bums me out. I really liked Dimensionaut and would have liked to hear a follow up. But it sounds like there will be new music regardless, just not as SoC.

I think I'm going to take Dimensionaut in the car with me for my morning commute tomorrow.
    Agree, "Dimensionaut" was a really really good album. On top of that it was just commercial enough that in a perfect world some of the singles should have been all over the radio. The Collins / Kerzner combination really had something special about it. Oh well, Dave is putting out great music on his own, and it will be interesting to see where Collins goes from here.

The silver lining: more Squids solo stuff!!! Hopefully.
    The Prog Corner

Well, this is disappointing, as I really enjoyed Dimensionaut and was looking forward to the follow-up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally