Thread: RIP Christian Burchard

RIP Christian Burchard

I had the honour and pleasure to enjoy his frienship ad organise some concerts for him and Embryo over the years. He was a krautrock giant and a key person for putting world music into the western cultural map, before even the term had been invented.

Happy trails Cristian.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

How sad. He was a real visionary, the way he blended Asian and African indigenous styles with rock and jazz. And I really did love his mallet-instrument playing. I’ll be listening to We Keep On in his honor.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Oh, we already had a thread a couple of days ago. Three respondents, I believe. Amazingkredipel!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ruchard-Embryo

Recent deaths of folks like Radim Hladik and Marian Varga have conjured proof in response on how enormously 'prog lives'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

RIP. I am not the biggest Embryo fan on the planet, but they were definitely a great band and highly influential. Steig Aus is my favorite.

I have La blama sparozzi, Vagabunden Karavane (DVD), Reise, the latter is spun from time to time.

I saw them live in Copenhagen perhaps 15 years ago (Operaen, Christiania), but to my recollection it wasn't their fines hour.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 01-19-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Interesting interview with Christian from 2011.
    http://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/20...stian.html?m=1

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, we already had a thread a couple of days ago. Three respondents, I believe. Amazingkredipel!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ruchard-Embryo
    Yes, but his name is misspelled in that one, and as a former Spelling Bee champion, it offends my delicate sensibilities.

I've not been online much in the last couple of weeks, so only got aware of these news today. Kinda sad that this thread got so few replies. Embryo was one of the best German bands ever, and my favorite krautrock act along with Can (and excluding countless brilliant one-offs). Who knew you could combine psychedelic rock, jazz fusion and ethnic folk music so seamlessly and powerfully? The run from Opal to We Keep On is one of the strongest in any band's discography, and even later, well past their arguable prime, they never ceased challenging themselves and the audiences, remaining strictly unconventional and uncompromising in nearly everything they did. Besides their own recordings, one must also remember April/Schneeball, a seminal label, and home to several brilliant underground bands. RIP Christian, and thank you for the music and the inspiration.

Here’s a track by Express Brass Band, a sort of jazz/funk/hip-hop thing with lots of horns:

I posted this because the group leader/main composer is Marja Burchard, Christian’s daughter. She has taken on the task, with Roman Bunka, of carrying on her father’s work with Embryo.