Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Hackett - Wuthering Nights: Live in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    received my 2 cd/1 bluray edition today - it is a plastic jewel 'fatbox' case. haven't received one of these in awhile. Just like the old days I had to shake out the broken plastic teeth after removing the wrapping around it. Very very minimal 8 page booklet included so I do wonder how this compares to the "Special Edition" version. This doesn't seem so special as far as packaging, but the cd with blu-ray pairing is ideal. I'll try to watch some of this tonight.

Laser's Edge, Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Damn, now I’m worried I should have ordered the 2CD/2DVD edition! Prefer a digipak to a jewel case...
    That one could very well be the same case though - the jewel case has spots for 4 discs. In this version the one where the booklet sits on top of is empty .

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Laser's Edge, Amazon?
    Amazon - watched nearly the whole blu-ray last night and thought it excellent. Great performance imo. Well filmed, good sound, (still too much quick cutting but that is a long standing complaint of mine for all recent concert films) still a very worthy addition to the live Hackett collection. Lots of fun to see Inside and Out performed. Steve also seems like he is having a blast throughout the whole show so that enthusiasm really shows through. Beggs also impresses on the bass/12 string. Glad I got this!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    That one could very well be the same case though - the jewel case has spots for 4 discs. In this version the one where the booklet sits on top of is empty .
    Wow, that's weird, it should have a CD-shaped card that says something like "This space intentionally empty!" As I said in the OP, the InsideOut site says the 2CD/2DVD is a digipak, but it's certainly possible that they're mistaken. What you say does make that seem...likely.

On my third viewing & probably my fave DVD since he started the Genesis Revisited shows. Like how he splits the show in two halves so we also get to hear some solo. His voice comes across better live than on studio IMO. I suspect we'll get an Orchestral Genesis Revisited release but after that I'm not sure if he can take these nostalgia tours any further?

As long as there's a market, my guess is he'll continue to milk it. He clearly enjoys playing that material, too, so more power to him.

^ This!

Far be it from me to complain about any desire of the artist to re-visit older music, and to re-visit it several times and in different formats. It's the artist's music, let the artist enjoy it the way he or she desires. We, the fans, can decide when to disembark from the artist's chosen path. We can also decide how politely we do it and with a bit of gratitude for the lovely ride. These are really the only choices we have.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Ember
    I've enjoyed all of these sets, and the two live shows I've attended. I did not see them on the tour documented in this release, however, and was surprised at how ill-suited Nad's voice seemed on much of the W&W material. Collins may have actually had more range than Gabriel back then, and stronger in the upper registers. I don't know, but Nad seemed to struggle. Great sound and video on the BD, though, and more of a surround mix (not just room ambience and crowd noise) than usual on a live recording.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Collins may have actually had more range than Gabriel back then, and stronger in the upper registers.
    Phil was a much better technical singer than Peter was, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Phil was a much better technical singer than Peter was, IMO.
    Yep. Peter's husky thick voice was/is always very limited in range. Phil surprisingly enough turned out to be much more of a natural singer. His ability to sing both softer quieter songs like Ripples, Mad Man Moon, Afterglow along with more powerful tunes like Dance on a Volcano, Squonk, Eleventh Earl of Mar etc on those Hackett era albums is really astounding given the circumstances.

My 2CD/Bluray set arrived yesterday (yes, in one of those 'fatboy' jewel cases, which I've always rather liked... I get nostalgic for the early days of CD buying, and those doubles always seemed like a big deal to me!) ....

Went to add it to my Discogs collection and found that nobody has inputted it yet. Ugh, I don't want to bother... I guess I'm part of the problem in that case.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yep. Peter's husky thick voice was/is always very limited in range. Phil surprisingly enough turned out to be much more of a natural singer. His ability to sing both softer quieter songs like Ripples, Mad Man Moon, Afterglow along with more powerful tunes like Dance on a Volcano, Squonk, Eleventh Earl of Mar etc on those Hackett era albums is really astounding given the circumstances.
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was always blown away by the intro to 'Eleventh Earl', but then when the vocals come in, they sound shrill to me. A richer, fuller natural voice like Peter's I think would have been better. I would love to hear Peter sing 'Blood On The Rooftops' too. He sounded so good in softer songs like 'In The Rapids', and 'The Lamia'. Phil sounds perfect for 'One For The Vine' however.

Hmmm. I always thought Phil had the richer fuller more natural voice. Compare his singing of Suppers Ready, Firth of Fifth etc on Seconds Out to Peter's singing. Phil owned those tunes on SOut.

Hmmm. I always thought Phil had the richer fuller more natural voice. Compare his singing of Suppers Ready, Firth of Fifth etc on Seconds Out to Peter's singing. Phil owned those tunes on SOut.
    Different strokes. I like Phil's voice, but prefer Peter's tone. Although no one can nail 'You Might Recall' like Phil. He does things with his voice there that Peter could never do, so I suppose it depends.

Peter's voice got richer and deeper as he got older, and, dare I say, learned how to sing better. I think Peter, at the time of W&W, would not have had a better vocal performance, but may have by about the mid-80s.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Peter's voice got richer and deeper as he got older, and, dare I say, learned how to sing better. I think Peter, at the time of W&W, would not have had a better vocal performance, but may have by about the mid-80s.
    And Phil's voice improved as well. Although, I have to say Peter could sound pretty darn good at times, even as far back as 'Looking For Someone'

My blu-ray is lost somewhere between Burning Shed and my hometown in Montreal. Just hoping for a miracle now... It's been more than 2 weeks which is unusual from past experience.

I don't think Phil ever sounded better than on A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 02-06-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Got my 2 CD/Blu Ray fatboy. Outstanding video and sound quality as expected. 2.5 hours of Genesis prog goodness. Great to have live versions of the Wuthering gems like 11th Earl, One for the Vine, Rooftops, Quiet Earth/Afterglow and of course Inside and Out, some of which had not been played in full live by a Genesis member since the late 70s/early 80s when you think about it.
    Setlist identical to the show I saw in Nashville, except we also got Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think Phil ever sounded better than on A Trick Of The Tail &Wind & Wuthering.
    Trick is my favorite Genesis album, because it combines mature progressive composition with superior vocals. I much prefer Gabriel's vocals on his own solo albums, when he was writing specifically for his own voice, which itself had matured along with his own abilities as a performer. W&W is good too, but starting to get a little poppy in places.

I guess I am in the minority of fans of early Genesis fans, though, in that I like them in spite of Gabriel's singing, and not in any way because of it. (I didn't connect to Fish-era Marillion mostly due to how much he sounded like Gabriel.)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think Phil ever sounded better than on A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering.
    Yes indeed, this was my fave Genesis period. I still love And Then There Were Three too because it was the first one I got so has a special place.