Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MARILLION: Brave 5.1 box set with Steven Wilson mixes - FULL DETAILS ANNOUNCED

I don't own a 5.1 system so I only listened to the stereo mix. I know the album front to back and I have to say the new mix is in no way a revelation. You do get an occasional part that you hadn't really noticed before. I don't believe you can drastically improve an album that was mixed in the 90s, as opposed to classics from the 70s.

I'd be curious to hear surround mixes of the other Meegan productions (specifically Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles), but IMHO Wilson can't do anything to improve the stereo mixes.

Clutching would be interesting.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was going to get a custom framing for the Brave autographed print (it's that nice) but found a much cheaper standard frame that the print fit perfectly. I've got this hanging in my den.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-04-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'd be curious to hear surround mixes of the other Meegan productions (specifically Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles), but IMHO Wilson can't do anything to improve the stereo mixes.
    That's exactly how I felt.

But then I heard the stereo remix of Brave, and that changed my tune a little. While I wouldn't overall put it above the original mix, my appreciation of some songs actually increased. For example, "Paper Lies" sounds more opened up and is actually one of my favorite tracks now, whereas before I didn't care as much for it. I think the keyboards on that one are brought up a bit higher in the mix; it somehow sounds a bit more lush I suppose. Now I can hear more of the underlying harmonic structure and it's more interesting to me than before.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Clutching would be interesting.
    Totally agreed. Though "neo-prog" is not very high on my list of priorities anymore, I do think Clutching is one of the finest rock albums period.

Well, Clutching At Straws is definitely the next one to get this deluxe treatment. The band filmed the interview segment today, as mentioned in Fish's tweet showing them all having beers and lunch together.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, Clutching At Straws is definitely the next one to get this deluxe treatment. The band filmed the interview segment today, as mentioned in Fish's tweet showing them all having beers and lunch together.
    While Fish gleefully sang... mo money mo money mo money.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

No Fish, no Marillion!