Thread: Don Li: Innerviews Interview now out

Don Li: Innerviews Interview now out

I once saw a Don Li thread on here. I tried to locate it and resurrect it, but it seems to have been vanquished.

At any rate, I consider Don one of the most important musicians and composers alive. I know some of you are enthusiastic about him too.

Don Li interviews are few and far between. I went "all in" and went all the way to Bern, Switzerland to meet with him and hopefully do his incredible work justice.

His 'minimalist groove' music is a forerunner of Nik Bartsch (who played with him), Sonar (who have played with him too) and countless others.

He's beyond influential, but relatively unknown. Other musicians have carried his ideas forward.

You can read the piece here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/don-li

You may also be interested in knowing that Li co-composed "Part 44" with Stephan Thelen for the forthcoming Sonar + David Torn album 'Vortex.'

I discovered Don Li and Peter Sherer this summer. Gotta say, a lot of what they've done totally blew me away. Highly recommended:
    • Don Li - 15 Squared (2006)
    • Don Li - Kun (2001)
    • Don Li - Live, Vol.1 (2002)
    • Don Li - Trigon (2000)
    • Don Li - A Portrait of Edith Piaf
    • Don Li & Peter Sherer - That Land (2009)
    • Don Li - 17Minutes of 7Hours
    • Peter Sherer - More Than Honey
    • Peter Sherer - Marmorera (2007)
    • Peter Sherer - Cronologia (1996)
    • Peter Sherer - Very Neon Pet (1994)
    • Peter Sherer & Arto Lindsay - Pretty Ugly (1990)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Peter Sherer - Cronologia (1996)
    It's Scherer - at least it used to be. It's the exact same guy who in his youth fronted the wonderful, semi-legendary Swiss progressive band Island, and who later went to New York to get mingled up with Downtown-musicians. He met Arto Lindsay there and formed The Modern Lovers with him in the early 80s. The Cronologia set is his only release on Zorn's Tzadik records, although he's contributed to numerous titles on that label too.

I gotta engulf myself in this Li character now!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks for the fascinating interview. I've only made a very tentative start on exploring Don Li's world after being hipped by Udi's thread last year. But there's some hugely rewarding music to discover there.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's Scherer -
    So it is!

That's what I get for posting after 3 glasses of merlot.