Thread: 22 Essential Strawbs Songs

22 Essential Strawbs Songs

http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/22strawbs2018.html

For your reading & viewing pleasure!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Nice list of pretzels!

Nice one, Wilcox!

I guess it would be somewhat hard to find a fitting motif for "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus"!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I need to check some of these out, but many incredible gems in there. Cousins is quite the writer. The new album is a return fine to form for him, some lovely tunes on that.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

They're as much folk-rock as they are prog, if not more so - and that's just great. I've sometimes seen them as a British parallel to Bob Dylan and the Band: In each case, you have a master songwriter backed up by four/five solid, imaginative bandsmen. What Dave gives up to Bob as a lyricist - and he doesn't give up a huge lot - he more than makes up for in his musical sense, which may come from the same ultimate British Isles roots as Bob's strict Appalachian simplicity, but explodes out of those roots to tell its stories in notes and orchestrations as much as in words.

Great stuff. Love the artwork that goes with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say "Benedictus" is the crown jewel of the Dave Cousins compositions for me - that tune just absolutely captivates me and pulls at my heart strings. It has such a strong affect on me. A true masterpiece if there ever was one. LOVE LOVE LOVE that tune.

^ Oh, I so agree. There's a sense of spectacular bliss to that buildup-chorus and the manner in which it repeats on repeat towards the end - and I'm about as religious as a toilet seat.

Cousins mastered that euphoric or even ecstatic tone so wonderfully back then; it reappears in "Down By the Sea", "Lay a Little On Me" and in parts of "Ghosts" as well, just to mention a few others. And the most important thing; he did this convincingly.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice list! I saw the Strawbs at the FMPM Progressive Rock festival in Montreal about 8 years ago. This we magnificent/stunning performers.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Nice list! I saw the Strawbs at the FMPM Progressive Rock festival in Montreal about 8 years ago. This we magnificent/stunning performers.
    Caught both sets on the Moodies Cruise a few weeks ago, they are better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'd say "Benedictus" is the crown jewel of the Dave Cousins compositions for me - that tune just absolutely captivates me and pulls at my heart strings. It has such a strong affect on me. A true masterpiece if there ever was one. LOVE LOVE LOVE that tune.
    Hangman And The Papist is definitely most poignant Strawbs song, IMHO,.

But then again 2/3 of FTWW would be in my top 20 Strawbs with a few from Curios , the long one from Dragonfly, a couple from GNW (I'm not that big on it), TPavan from BATS (the only thing worth saving from that album)...
    and not much from the Lambert/Cronk/Coombes era (Autumn, Ghosts, and maybe Midnight Sub)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Caught both sets on the Moodies Cruise a few weeks ago, they are better than ever.
    I've seen the band many times over the past 43 years and they are better now than I've ever seen them (though I never saw them with Rick Wakeman). They were just killer at RosFest in 2016.

I love this collection of art with song titles you've put together. Each image matches the sentiment of the song right nicely.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Glad to hear it! I'd make an effort to see them again.

I would include BLUE ANGEL. Even though it's a Cousin's solo piece, it has been included on Strawbs "Best Of" compilations, as well re-recorded in 2003 on s Strawbs album of the same name.

I would also mention "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" and "Where Is The Dream of Your Youth" a terrific Wakeman showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/22strawbs2018.html

For your reading & viewing pleasure!
    Excellent, thank you sir.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Glad to see folks are enjoying this. Was fun to put together. Many Strawbs gems to choose from. Thought this would be a good set of conversation starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I would include BLUE ANGEL. Even though it's a Cousin's solo piece, it has been included on Strawbs "Best Of" compilations, as well re-recorded in 2003 on s Strawbs album of the same name.

Great call, and great tune for sure. A micro epic.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great call, and great tune for sure. A micro epic.
    The closing couple of minutes of "Blue Angel" is one of the greatest things Cousins ever produced, IMO. And the whole point of a fadeout - to indicate how it might just linger forever on because it's worth it.

Unlike certain other religious "prog" performers farting out triple concept-albums ending on purported highnotes so that listeners would feel honoured in suspension to buckle up for the quadruple one.

Nice. I love the pictures! The one for 'A Glimpse of Heaven' I'd love for an album cover!

Also always had a soft spot for 'Lemon Pie'-sounds so summery.

Great band that produced a lot of simply wonderful songs and albums. A good example of how to produce magic without being pretentious.

Sadly they are not rated very highly in my country Germany, they are very much reduced to the "the Band where Wakeman was before Yes".

This one is from BBC but shows their status in Germany (and guys like that where paid for their "expertise"):

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Great band that produced a lot of simply wonderful songs and albums. A good example of how to produce magic without being pretentious.

Sadly they are not rated very highly in my country Germany, they are very much reduced to the "the Band where Wakeman was before Yes".

This one is from BBC but shows their status in Germany (and guys like that where paid for their "expertise"):

Apparently Dave Cousins was not happy about Rick Wakeman using a paint roller on the organ - he thought it took away from the impact of the song.

I keep coming back to this thread and just marvel at the paintings and now they fit so well with the songs. I know the songs but not the paintings. Any chance of a run down of titles and artists?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Thanks for this post! A very timely one for me, I'm pretty new to The Strawbs but got drawn in by the new album and the song "When the Spirit Moves" which is just fantastic (maybe should be the 23rd song in this list) . This is just what I need to learn more about them; loving what I've heard so far.

I just scouted around looking for Victorian era paintings that caught my fancy. I'm afraid I neglected to grab the titles. So much gorgeous art from that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread and just marvel at the paintings and now they fit so well with the songs. I know the songs but not the paintings. Any chance of a run down of titles and artists?