Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries

R.I.P. Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries

She was only 46.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Unbelievable. Great voice. Another one gone.

How absolutely awful, I'm so sorry to hear this. So young. We saw her house in Ireland when we visited a few years ago. I always liked what little Cranberries music I heard, and I liked her vocal style. Really sad.

Bill

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great singer. What a shock to go at such a young age. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Wow, died suddenly at 46. Hope it's not due to what I think it is. Regardless, RIP to a fellow Irish.

Very sad news. Way too young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to young indeed.
    Loved what I heard from the Cranberries, and especially her voice.

not a huge fan, but I do find among the 90's pop music, songs like Dreams and Zombie still hold up.

only 46, sheesh.

RIP to a woman with a helluva voice. Like others have noted, 46 is way too young.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Too young.

Let's hope the initial reports are incorrect and that she died peacefully & naturally. Seems as if her life somewhat mirrored Sinead O'Connor's recent mental troubles.

wow, very sad to hear this. I have all those albums. To the Faithful Departed is probably my favorite. Songs like "Forever Yellow Skies" had a proggy edge, and you can't deny the appeal of the hits like "Free to Decide" and "Ode to My Family" among many others. Great voice.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Too young.

Let's hope the initial reports are incorrect and that she died peacefully & naturally. Seems as if her life somewhat mirrored Sinead O'Connor's recent mental troubles.
    I haven't read anything that mentioned a manner of death. Have you?

I've always heard the band mentioned to me as being somewhat proggy, but I don't think I'd ever heard them. I also had no idea they were so successful. People refers to them as 90s "superstars." Did they have big hits in the US?

Sad news. Although I don't have any of Cranberries albums I do have a lot of their covers: they were made by the great Hipgnosis and collected in a couple of their books: http://www.hipgnosiscovers.com/thecranberries.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I've always heard the band mentioned to me as being somewhat proggy, but I don't think I'd ever heard them. I also had no idea they were so successful. People refers to them as 90s "superstars." Did they have big hits in the US?
    Surely you've heard the hit singles Zombie and Linger? Massive hits.

so sad. way too young. Saw her band back in the 90s when I was in school.
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Very sad to hear this. She was a great singer. Her voice was the strongest asset of the Cranberries.

To the faithful departed is the album I like best.

Sad, and too young.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have not. I have read a couple of reports about recent mental breakdown(s) and alleged overdose roughly 5 years ago along with other details.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Surely you've heard the hit singles Zombie and Linger? Massive hits.
    I just listened to them both - definitely never heard either that I can remember. I realize though that for most of the 90s through 2010 or so, MTV was essentially nothing but rap and reality shows (once grunge and hair metal were over) so we never put it on, and I lived in NYC so didn't have a car and never rode in one. We were ALWAYS listening to our own music collection whenever we were listening to music. We never put on music radio aside from classical or jazz. So unless I heard these songs in a store or restaurant there's nowhere I would have heard them. Also, I've never worked in a place where you could listen to music or music was played.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Sad news. Although I don't have any of Cranberries albums I do have a lot of their covers: they were made by the great Hipgnosis and collected in a couple of their books: http://www.hipgnosiscovers.com/thecranberries.html
    Oh, I do know some of those covers! I forgot those for The Cranberries. They seem like odd covers for them, but cool. Especially the one with the giant eye, which I believe was really staged for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I have not. I have read a couple of reports about recent mental breakdown(s) and alleged overdose roughly 5 years ago along with other details.
    I saw something that said she had bad back issues and also was diagnosed as bipolar. Those problems are sometimes treated with medications.

R.I.P.
    Zombie is one of my favourite anger songs.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

She was on record as stating she was repeatedly sexually abused as a child, which doesn't exactly make for a well-adjusted adult. Add her bipolar condition, stardom and its pressures, booze and drugs - helluva rough life.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I never owned any of their albums, but liked some of their individual songs. Way too young indeed.