Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Marillion - Brave 5-disc Steven Wilson remix box out soon

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, as I was writing my post above I struggled to remember it it was Hollow Man or Hollow Men, but of course I should have just thought about the lyrics, which always say "hollow men." Silly me.

I like Hollow Men....
    Silly you, look at one of your copies of the CD, it's "the hollow man". (though on Made Again it's listed only as Hollow Man)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This CD has been around for a while. I should have checked the year but I distinctly remember going into the record store years ago and reading the names of the tracks and buying the CD. This is likely a top 20 CD of all time for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember well the day it came out in the US because it snowed pretty heavily in NYC that day.

I remember well the day it came out in the US because it snowed pretty heavily in NYC that day.
    I also remember buying Brave and taking a trip to Montreal to see the Musical Box. My friend wasn't a prog fan but he complimented the musicianship on Brave as we drove back from the show.

We're doing it with an exclusive A4 signed print with all copies ordered before midnight on February 16th.

CD / Bluray Box Set

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/brave2018cd.htm

Vinyl Box Set

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/brave2018vinyl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kennedy View Post
    We're doing it with an exclusive A4 signed print with all copies ordered before midnight on February 16th.

CD / Bluray Box Set

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/brave2018cd.htm

Vinyl Box Set

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/brave2018vinyl.htm
    Now see, that's how you do a release! I'm in for the CD/Blu-ray package as soon as is humanly possible!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nearly thirty pounds for this 4CDs and a Bluray. Compare with the Roxy Music box set, £130 on Amazon currently and £70 for the Chris Squire box set.

I know which I will be buying

I still think a completely unreleased live show from the Brave tour instead of one that's 75% already available would have been better.

Completists will still need the Brave 2CD remaster for several of the bonus tracks. Not sure why a whole CD was used for this set to include the original album mix - maybe that should have only been on the Blu-Ray, and more bonus tracks on that CD. But I'm nit-picking.

Mark, does the first La Cigale CD really include Made Again on it twice in a row? That's what the website says, but I'm guessing it's an error.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    I still think a completely unreleased live show from the Brave tour instead of one that's 75% already available would have been better.
    But the whole show is newly remixed by Michael Hunter! Well, I tried.

I like how in the email from Marillion they once again suggest to people that they "Listen Loud with the Lights Off."
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Ordered.

But the whole show is newly remixed by Michael Hunter! Well, I tried.

I like how in the email from Marillion they once again suggest to people that they "Listen Loud with the Lights Off."
    I was hoping that the complete audio from London 5/3/94 and the Mexico tour footage would finally see the light officially as part of this set, especially as a few of the tracks from the London show appeared on b-sides at the time.

Completists will still need the Brave 2CD remaster for several of the bonus tracks. Not sure why a whole CD was used for this set to include the original album mix - maybe that should have only been on the Blu-Ray, and more bonus tracks on that CD. But I'm nit-picking.

Mark, does the first La Cigale CD really include Made Again on it twice in a row? That's what the website says, but I'm guessing it's an error.
    disappointed as well at the loss of the old bonus cd. there wasn't anything too earth shattering there but as you say completists will need it. was pleased to sell off my other misplaced childhood to lighten the load of the deluxe last year this time I am stuck.

also noted that the vinyl box appears to include the full standard album on vinyl rather than the alternate vinyl version with two grooves on side 4 so lowers my likelihood of getting that one.(though maybe it does and they are keeping it a surprise but if the hollow man is on LP2 as they claim it would mean a different configuration than the original vinyl)

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    disappointed as well at the loss of the old bonus cd. there wasn't anything too earth shattering there but as you say completists will need it. was pleased to sell off my other misplaced childhood to lighten the load of the deluxe last year this time I am stuck.

also noted that the vinyl box appears to include the full standard album on vinyl rather than the alternate vinyl version with two grooves on side 4 so lowers my likelihood of getting that one.(though maybe it does and they are keeping it a surprise but if the hollow man is on LP2 as they claim it would mean a different configuration than the original vinyl)
    Maybe today's newer vinyl pressing plants don't deal in such nonsense as LPs with two grooves on one side! You make a good point though, this vinyl will probably not have that alternate ending.

I just had to read up on the details of the Spiral Ending version of The Great Escape as I haven't listened to it in so long. It would be cool if the deluxe edition had the Spiral Ending version as an option when you listen to any of the versions of the album on the Blu-Ray, but I doubt it does. I prefer the alternate ending to Made Again.

so I suppose we can presume that Holidays in Eden will have the hammersmith odeon September 29th 1991 concert in full and afraid of sunlight will have the Ahoy, Rotterdam sept 29 1995 concert in full?

I actually don't have made again so would be nice to save myself feeling like I am missing anything there, and there is a lot more unreleased from those shows as they only got a half cd released from them in the first place.

and I guess going back have the Edinburgh playhouse april 7 83 or hammersmith odeon april 18 83 been released in full (some tracks from them are B-sides) could be the script live show.

The Hammersmith 18/3/83 show has already been out on 2CD. As for the Edinburgh Playhouse show, that isn't available as far as I know...and probably won't be. If Marillion's Front Row Club (RIP) is anything to go by, getting archive material released from the Fishy years is...problematic.

Maybe my favorite Marillion album. I agree that it's a song or two away from being perfect... I always liked the "downer" ending -- but I don't think this is an option? Too bad, they could have done that with the Blu-Ray!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Yeah, I was expecting that to be a blu ray bonus as well, along with b-sides like 'Winter Trees' etc. It's a good set, but it's far from perfect, especially if you compare it with the brilliant Tull sets SW has worked on.

Thanks for posting the link for ordering! Pre-Ordered - Cha Ching.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    Yeah, I was expecting that to be a blu ray bonus as well, along with b-sides like 'Winter Trees' etc. It's a good set, but it's far from perfect, especially if you compare it with the brilliant Tull sets SW has worked on.
    The downer ending is a bonus on the Blu-Ray, it's the track The Great Escape (Spiral Remix). I just think you can't listen to the whole album with that ending pre-selected, which would be nice.

The eons are closing
    I always get a kick out of what peeps find 'great' on a particular album.

Like many here, I like Brave a lot...much good and great stuff mixed with middling. I just like the different parts! lol

Compared to the abominable "Hooks..." and some of the paint by numbers tunz on HiE, stuff like Living with the Big Lie, Hard as Love, Paper Lies et al are quite layered with some fiery Rothery leads and do a great job of advancing the 'story' while working topically as a stand alone track quite nicely. And really comprise my faves on the disc.

Too funny...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Oh..and I am interested in the 5.1
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I always get a kick out of what peeps find 'great' on a particular album.

Like many here, I like Brave a lot...much good and great stuff mixed with middling. I just like the different parts! lol

Compared to the abominable "Hooks..." and some of the paint by numbers tunz on HiE, stuff like Living with the Big Lie, Hard as Love, Paper Lies et al are quite layered with some fiery Rothery leads and do a great job of advancing the 'story' while working topically as a stand alone track quite nicely. And really comprise my faves on the disc.

Too funny...
    I think most people like Living with the Big Lie - I think it's great! Way better than Hard as Love and Paper Lies, IMO, and so are Brave and The Great Escape. But you'll always get disagreement with Marillion, it's probably just proof that all their songs are good, but people have differing tastes.

"Living With The Big Lie" may be tied with "Gazpacho" as my favorite single Marillion song ever.

The 5.1 mix is the only thing that really interests me here. I'll probably get it for this alone. It is really disappointing that the earlier bonus-CD is completely missing. Marouatte Jam and Winter Trees especially. Nothing earth-shattering, but kind of a missed opportunity to really do the ultimate Brave-set.