Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Woodstock... A newcomers observations...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ They had organized mass burnings of Doors albums in the South, especially after the Miami incident. That kind of hysteria was fairly widespread. The hippies really shook up square America.
    Years later, in 1980, I saw Lux Interior of the Cramps drop trou (during the song "Human Fly") on stage in Boston. The reaction: nada. Times sure had changed.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^We can go round in circles forever on this but there's never anything on the packaging spelling it out. That's what's misleading.

Actually look at these stickers, 'the brand new completely unreleased studio album'.

https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix.../master/232134
    https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix.../master/528322

That's the kind of thing I meant. These are not an 'unreleased studio album', rather a bunch of unrelated tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but POSSIBLY there were other factors at work too.
    Yes..............Levi's blue jeans.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^We can go round in circles forever on this but there's never anything on the packaging spelling it out. That's what's misleading.

Actually look at these stickers, 'the brand new completely unreleased studio album'.

https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix.../master/232134
    https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix.../master/528322

That's the kind of thing I meant. These are not an 'unreleased studio album', rather a bunch of unrelated tracks.
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest, but, you can't hold the estate to blame if Discogs doesn't include all the release info that is readily avilable elswhere. For example, if you go to the Hendrix official site and click on music downloads, it takes you to their Amazon page. For "Valleys of Neptune," it has the following description:

2010 release from the legendary Rock guitarist containing 12 previously unreleased studio recordings. Ten of these recordings were made between February and May 1969 as the Jimi Hendrix Experience set out to create their sequel to the groundbreaking 1968 double album Electric Ladyland. Features 'Valleys Of Neptune,' one of the most sought after of all of Hendrix's commercially unavailable recordings. Includes exciting 1969 arrangements of classic signature songs 'Red House', 'Fire' and 'Stone Free'. Also includes unheard studio versions of Hendrix's inspired interpretations of 'Bleeding Heart' by Elmore James and Cream's 'Sunshine Of Your Love'. Mixed by Eddie Kramer, the engineer for all of Hendrix's albums throughout the guitarist's lifetime. Produced by Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott - the team behind all of the acclaimed Jimi Hendrix CD and DVD releases since 1996.

If people are too lazy to read about what they're buying, it seems to be they are the problem. Could the estate do better? I suppose. Are they deliberately misleading people? I think not.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm talking about those stickers on the CD cover itself. Both of them flat out state 'unreleased studio album' and then 'brand new studio album'. That's what I meant about the 'lost albums' thing.

The download description is indeed much clearer on what people are getting. I understand that you won't fit all that on a front cover sticker but even just 'unreleased tracks' is more upfront IMHO although again, not strictly true...read the review of People Hell And Angels on the Discogs page. That review also says that EH are contracted to Sony to deliver ten 'new' releases. Interesting.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-22-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest, but, you can't hold the estate to blame if Discogs doesn't include all the release info that is readily avilable elswhere. For example, if you go to the Hendrix official site and click on music downloads, it takes you to their Amazon page. For "Valleys of Neptune," it has the following description:

2010 release from the legendary Rock guitarist containing 12 previously unreleased studio recordings. Ten of these recordings were made between February and May 1969 as the Jimi Hendrix Experience set out to create their sequel to the groundbreaking 1968 double album Electric Ladyland. Features 'Valleys Of Neptune,' one of the most sought after of all of Hendrix's commercially unavailable recordings. Includes exciting 1969 arrangements of classic signature songs 'Red House', 'Fire' and 'Stone Free'. Also includes unheard studio versions of Hendrix's inspired interpretations of 'Bleeding Heart' by Elmore James and Cream's 'Sunshine Of Your Love'. Mixed by Eddie Kramer, the engineer for all of Hendrix's albums throughout the guitarist's lifetime. Produced by Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott - the team behind all of the acclaimed Jimi Hendrix CD and DVD releases since 1996.

If people are too lazy to read about what they're buying, it seems to be they are the problem. Could the estate do better? I suppose. Are they deliberately misleading people? I think not.
    I got this one and "The First Rays of the New Rising Sun". I love both of 'em and think they are must haves. Haven't checked out the rest.

^First Rays... was a different thing and came out in the 90s. With the exception of 'My Friend' the tracks were all recorded around the same time and for what would have been his new album had he lived. They were also (mostly) completed tracks, or as near as. They weren't just a load of demos, jams and alternate versions. (Douglas' attempt at 'finishing' the album in the 90s was hugely controversial because he drafted in the drummer for The Knack to overdub a few songs. I think that was the end of his association with the Hendrix catalogue.)

...Neptune I was always put off by because it looked so piecemeal to me. I actually wouldn't have minded so much if they'd had done one album with all the 'new' songs on, not more versions of 'Bleeding Heart', 'Hear My Train A Comin' etc.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.

I'm talking about those stickers on the CD cover itself. Both of them flat out state 'unreleased studio album' and then 'brand new studio album'. That's what I meant about the 'lost albums' thing.
    You mean the sticker that also states "Unreleased studio recordings" quite clearly? Nowhere does it call it a "lost studio album." So, if someone makes that assumption without reading anything else about it, they are not a very good consumer.

Look, I get your point. But, at some point, doesn't the consumer have a responsibility to know what they're buying?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^I guess. I would research it, for sure, and did in this case.

I actually would probably have really enjoyed one solid collection of unreleased tracks, rather than three. That upcoming one for instance, about half of what's on it looks really interesting.

^I guess. I would research it, for sure, and did in this case.

I actually would probably have really enjoyed one solid collection of unreleased tracks, rather than three. That upcoming one for instance, about half of what's on it looks really interesting.
    Yep.

In the studio, it seems Jimi recorded everything. I've wondered about dome of the releases myself. For example, the "Mannish Boy" jam. That's been floating around the trading circles for decades, but I never considered it particularly inspired. I know there's a massive shitload of studio material floating around and confess that I have not dived into it like I would have 20 years ago. It's overwhelming. But, I can't imagine there's something more interesting that some of what they've released.

Don't get me wrong. It's all great. It's Jimi, for Christ's sake. But, I don't think they've yet to hit one out of the park WRT the studio session releases.

And, there's so much killer live stuff that has yet to see the light of day officially.

Good God, they have to resolve the licensing issues with the Albert Hall show from '69.

Don't get me started on some of the official live releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    If there's anyone in this thread who doesn't know, this couple, who have been together all this time, are the 2 people under the blanket.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It may have been mentioned already but Woodstock: The Director's Cut is going to be on Turner Classic Movies on Monday, February 5th at 11:30pm Eastern Time.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/96254...irector-s-Cut/

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    It may have been mentioned already but Woodstock: The Director's Cut is going to be on Turner Classic Movies on Monday, February 5th at 11:30pm Eastern Time.

Swell. That's about 1.5 hours past my bedtime. I'm tired of being a geezer (with a small "g"). Whoops, wrong thread.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Is that the one with the lame ass hippie folk song replacing the song Woodstock at the end? That was on a couple months ago, and it bugged the hell out of them that they dropped the Woodstock song in favor or...whatever the frell that new song was.

Anyway, I have to go to be early on Monday nights because I have to be up early for work the next morning.

TCM will probably bleep the swear words and blur the nudity. One reason to get the Blu-Ray over the broadcast.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    TCM will probably bleep the swear words and blur the nudity. One reason to get the Blu-Ray over the broadcast.
    Don't count on it. They leave the dialog well intact in all their movies. I also would not expect them to blur the nudity.

I didn't think DVRs were still a relatively rare commodity these days. Don't people "time shift" anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I didn't think DVRs were still a relatively rare commodity these days. Don't people "time shift" anymore?
    I don't know what "time shift" is. I do have a DVR, but it's mostly full, despite my efforts to finish watching the movies I've had recorded on it for the last 4 years.