Thread: Blackfield - Blackfield

Blackfield - Blackfield

Absolute Bloody Genius.....

i agree. all their three albums are.

great melodic rock, and brilliant production.

Yep. Love these guys.

Curious to see if there's any drop-off now that Steven Wilson isn't as involved.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep. Love these guys.

Curious to see if there's any drop-off now that Steven Wilson isn't as involved.
    I think that started with their last album, Welcome to My DNA, as Steven only wrote 1 song on that one and had less of a presence than before. That didn't bother me -- I thought the songs and performance were really strong and love it. I was fortunate to catch the live tour for that album which was incredible!

Their fourth album is slated to come out this spring, perhaps April. Reportedly Steven sings a song or two and does the mixing and/or production work on it. He says it sounds really strong and there are several other top notch singers on it (who haven't been revealed yet). He said that he suspects the future of Blackfield will probably hinge on who Aviv decides to take on the road with him as lead vocalist (to replace Steven). I'm sure many fans who were into them primarily for Steven won't have much interest, but I'm grateful to have discovered them through Steven's involvement and will continue as a fan wherever it may go from here.

Yep. Love these guys.

For me there already has been a drop off. I think "DNA" is by far the weakest of the 3 albums. It is not a bad album, but for me it is a few notches down.

Steve Sly

A while back I was yapping with some extremely cute Israeli woman. As a conversation starter, I mentioned Avi, and she freaked. Apparently, he's big time over there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me there already has been a drop off. I think "DNA" is by far the weakest of the 3 albums. It is not a bad album, but for me it is a few notches down.

Steve Sly
    I'd have to take it even further. I loved the first two albums, but I honestly thought the third album was nothing short of a giant turd.....by far my biggest disappointment of that year. The song "Go to Hell" was an embarassment.

So, yeah, I didn't care for it.

"Go to Hell" is awful, but I like the rest of the album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    I'd have to take it even further. I loved the first two albums, but I honestly thought the third album was nothing short of a giant turd.....by far my biggest disappointment of that year. The song "Go to Hell" was an embarassment.
    I agree. Welcome To My DNA was horrible.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My ranking goes like this:
    BF1>BF3>BF2

2 was just a continuation of 1, and half the songs were leftovers from 1. 3 has some interesting more powerful stuff on it.
    The first album probably cannot be topped.
    But I'll definitely buy the 4th album, there is said to be also a surround mix this time!

Loved the first one. Hated the second. Gave up and didn't buy the third nor will I get the 4th.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    The song "Go to Hell" was an embarassment.
    Actually I thought that too. However, seeing Blackfield live and Aviv giving the back story to the song, it gave it some context. It will never be a favorite of mine, but seeing how emotional the song was to him improved the song immensely.
    Last edited by Magic Mountain; 02-14-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote

I maybe like a handful of songs off these albums. They mostly make me sleepy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Actually I thought that too. However, seeing Blackfield live and Aviv giving the back story to the song, it gave it some context. It will never be a favorite of mine, but seeing how emotional the song was to him improved the song immensely.
    I saw them, and while Aviv didn't really give a story about the song (he said it was for his parents - struck me as kinda cliche), the song is still terrible and the lyrics childish.

I marginally enjoyed the first album. The second one bored me. I never picked up the third.

I saw them, and while Aviv didn't really give a story about the song (he said it was for his parents - struck me as kinda cliche), the song is still terrible and the lyrics childish.
    He gave the story of "why" it was about his parents. May be you had an idyllic childhood, but the story he told resonated with me, and then the actual song made more sense. Not the greatest song like I said, but I can now understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    He gave the story of "why" it was about his parents. May be you had an idyllic childhood, but the story he told resonated with me, and then the actual song made more sense. Not the greatest song like I said, but I can now understand.
    Did he? I don't remember that.

And I'm an idiot! Forgot that we were at the same show!!!!

"Go To Hell" was very satisfying live in concert. Much more fire in it than the studio version. It's still gratifying to listen to when I'm pissed off, though I'd rather hear a live version of it.

Predictably, most people who have chimed in here don't like that 3rd album. But I think it's a great record, and look forward to the 4th.

opening with “blood” was incredible. didn’t like DNA first (my favourite will always be 2) but it has turned into a bona fide grower for me. “oxygen” is an incredible song. and that’s aviv all the way.

will definitely pick up the fourth one.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    opening with “blood” was incredible.
    Yeah, that was really, really cool.

Thy Field Is Black

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I marginally enjoyed the first album. The second one bored me. I never picked up the third.
    Sorta there with you on the first release. I never warmed to it much. From that album, I only like "Blackfield". I think that song is an awesome piece! Because of this thread I just listened to the entire first CD. "The Whole In Me" and "Where Is My Love?" are the only other two tracks I can sometimes stomach. The rest of the CD is a downer.

I wasn't aware that Blackfield was moving on without Steven. It will be very interesting to find out who the replacement singers are on the next album and who will be touring.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    I wasn't aware that Blackfield was moving on without Steven. It will be very interesting to find out who the replacement singers are on the next album and who will be touring.
    Not exactly without Steven. He's helping sing & perform on the next album, and (I think) continuing to contribute in those kinds of ways in the future.... just not co-leading the whole endeavor.