Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box Set Piracy/Counterfeits

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looking forward to updating my collection of Chinese David Bowie box sets with the next one in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

job killer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Chinese David Bowie
    There was a time, when one could crack a joke about this just for fun.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If I see the source is China or Russia, I avoid. It's hard to know what is legit and what is not.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by MicrowaveBrain View Post
    I once ordered the Beatles Mono box set from Ebay. As soon as I opened it, I knew something was wrong. The individual album cover reproductions were inserted in various directions, instead of being neatly lined up. The discs themselves were in flimsy plastic sleeves. The gatefold sleeves were folded awkwardly. The booklets were fraught with typos. Finally, when I popped Please Please Me into my CD player, what do I hear? Instruments out of the left speaker, vocals out of the right! Stereo!
    Not to suggest your experience was other than what you had, but there was a time when stereo mixes were done very quickly, because most folks were still using mono, and such hard panning was actually how they did it.

Example: the stereo Atlantic albums of John Coltrane have his saxophone panned hard to one channel, and I mean HARD. I was very happy when they were reissued in their original mono format - aside from being less annoying with the hard panning, they just sounded warmer (not always easy, given Coltrane's tone on tenor!).
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looking forward to updating my collection of Chinese David Bowie box sets with the next one in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So your obsession with box sets is so uncontrollable that you are now trying to satiate it by buying pirated sets from communist countries.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the country being communist is not the point.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm pretty sure the country being communist is not the point.
    As is appropriate for the upcoming set, he wants a copy that was packed by a genuine China Girl.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    As is appropriate for the upcoming set, he wants a copy that was packed by a genuine China Girl.