Thread: RIP France Gall

Doubt if this thread will make it to page 2

RIP France (she was only 70)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald

RIP

I suppose her death was drowned here by the dead of Ray Thomas.
    It was the other way round in the Dutch news.

She was one of the greats! --Peter

Saw a pic of France Gall with both Stella Vander and Liza deluxe as back-up singers. I will see if I can find it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Love this clip!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Saw a pic of France Gall with both Stella Vander and Liza deluxe as back-up singers. I will see if I can find it.
    Yeah, it seems like all the French progressive rock musicians found themselves, at one point or another, backing one pop singer or another. I remember someone telling me he got burned a few times buying records that had people from Heldon and Magma in the credits, thinking he was buying some sort of lost zheul record or whatever, only to find out it was your typical, garden variety ye-ye record, ie most definitely NOT prog!

I was reading Mademoiselle Gall's Wiki page, and it sounds like she did some interesting work with Serge Gainsbourg during the late 60's. I'll have to check some of that out. It's also mentioned that her first professional recording was with Alain Gorageur, who later gave us the brilliant soundtrack to the brilliant animated film, La Planete Sauvage (known Stateside as Fantastic Planet).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was reading Mademoiselle Gall's Wiki page, and it sounds like she did some interesting work with Serge Gainsbourg during the late 60's. I'll have to check some of that out. It's also mentioned that her first professional recording was with Alain Gorageur, who later gave us the brilliant soundtrack to the brilliant animated film, La Planete Sauvage (known Stateside as Fantastic Planet).
    except having a still-child girl singing about chupa-chups (Les Sucettes) is hardly 'interesting"... maybe provocative (hey this is "Gainsbarre" after all), but not really interesting by our standards

Personally, I think FG was vastly over-rated, but was widely covered by the medias because she lost her songwriting hubby in his early 40's in the mid-90's, but that doesn't mean I don't care about her passing away.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

France Gall - Les rubans et la fleur

How I like to remember her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    And Magma's great bassist Jannick Top was also in France Gall's live backing band during the 80ies. (I guess he had to make it for living)
    But don't expect anything even remotely connected with any musical genres we're discussing about on these boards, and definitely not prog.
    Easy "variétés françaises" (as they call it), Eurovision Song Contest-style (which she actually won in 1965). The (later) Michel Berger's era was hardly more interesting but still consisted of very simple basic songs.
    She was a nice person, but artistically not my cup of tea...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    And Magma's great bassist Jannick Top was also in France Gall's live backing band during the 80ies. (I guess he had to make it for living)
    Jannick has played with lots of people, everyone from Johnny Hallyday to The Eurythmics!
    But don't expect anything even remotely connected with any musical genres we're discussing about on these boards, and definitely not prog.
    As I mentioned earlier, that was the case with a lot of French prog musicians (probably in other countries too), they ended up backing pop singers playing music very far removed from the work that we love them for.

In that thumbnail above, see if you can find Liza Deluxe and Stella. :-)

Tribute...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS