Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DPRP 2012 Poll Results Published

I lumped all those styles together not because they all sound the same, but because I've heard plenty of each type and and don't like any of it. I don't care to expound any deeper. I've given it every chance to please but never has.
    I'm thankful that all my friends I attend concerts with have similar opinions, maybe some to a slightly lesser degree, but it makes for a more enjoyable time with less incensed debates.
    When all is said and done, our musical tastes make us quite passionate about the art. As long as we all support what we like, everyone wins a little.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Surely you're not suggesting these viewpoints are unique to the RIO and avant communities?
    I don't think there are any such thing as RIO or avant communities, but nonetheless - I was speaking specifically about what these terms themselves denote, which is not about given "styles" or "sounds" but rather certain common qualities as to their artistic and aesthetic motives in regard to creativity etc. Which on the other hand does differ from the specific ground rules of, say, "space rock" or "symphonic rock" or whatever. For instance, Robert Wyatt is/was most definitely an avant garde artist (albeit nothing "RIO"), but this doesn't distract from his work having a place in the canon of progressive rock - coming from that era and aesthetic, therefore also belonging therein.

As for RIO/avant [blah-blah] being "difficult" or not being "music" at all, this is an example of that, uh, "type" of "[not] music":
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    You lost me with "ground rules".

I'll quote Andy Partridge: "Avant? 'Avant got a clue!"

You lost me with "ground rules".

I'll quote Andy Partridge: "Avant? 'Avant got a clue!"
    My point exactly!

With "ground rules" I mean that there seem to be certain limits to what you can/cannot do for a musical work to "be symph", and if you move beyond that... Well, then it gets... [gulp!]... [Oh,no!]... that's not symph, that's, that's - uhm - [oh, please help me] - I dunno, can't recognize that, mommy! It-it-it must b-be one of those badass *AVANTS*...!!!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

As for RIO/avant [blah-blah] being "difficult" or not being "music" at all, this is an example of that, uh, "type" of "[not] music":
    Never heard of Salle Gaveau, but I enjoyed that clip. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You're welcome. They're one of numerous brainchildren of the esteemed Kido Natsuki - monster guitarist from Bondage Fruit, Korekyojin, Opabinia etc. With other Jap mavericks in their ranks, of course. The initial concept of the band was to dwell into the merits and musical theories of Astor Piazzolla to explore some hitherto undeterred waters within, for instance by adding some mean electric axe excursions to the fold. I believe they have three releases so far, and Alloy was their debut (from 2007, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Indeed, that was fantastic!

Jefferson James
    That was very musical to my ears, and a lovely chunk of music at that, thanks for sharing it SS. Fantastic energy and man, that guitarist smokes. From my very limited palette from which to draw -- paint? -- parts of this remind me of Keith Emerson's piano concerto on Works. Good stuff.

From my very limited palette from which to draw -- paint? -- parts of this remind me of Keith Emerson's piano concerto on Works. Good stuff.
    Kerry, this is an interesting point; Emerson was very influenced by Alberto Ginastera at the time (as he'd obviously been when covering the latter's "Toccata" on BSS), and Astor Piazzolla (whose music and theories Salle Gaveau base their work on) was not only Ginastera's countryman but an acquaintance. Indeed, the two are known to have inspired each other's work.

Jefferson James
    Kerry, this is an interesting point; Emerson was very influenced by Alberto Ginastera at the time (as he'd obviously been when covering the latter's "Toccata" on BSS), and Astor Piazzolla (whose music and theories Salle Gaveau base their work on) was not only Ginastera's countryman but an acquaintance. Indeed, the two are known to have inspired each other's work.
    Wow, that's cool! I had no idea of the roundabout Keith Emerson connection. I cut my teeth on ELP and "Toccata" was so fucking HUGE to me at around the age of 13, 14. That piece (as interpreted by ELP) kicks my ass to this day and there's always been something about Keith Emerson's melodies that hits me especially hard, it's unexplainable. Most of my peers seemed more into Genesis or Yes but ELP were really the only prog-rock band I ever listened to as a teen. To this day I've always strived -- hoped? -- to incorporate a bit of that Emerson mentality into my songwriting. Easier said than done!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

What continues to surprise me in the results, both for this and the Prog magazine poll, is how much love there is for Genesis Revisited II compared to Squackett. I like Hackett's work, but I'm more interested in him doing something new than in the nostalgia of Genesis Revisited II.
    I believe that is because Squackett is quite awful album.

I rather listen to strong nostalgia album than bad new music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    What I liked: Big Big Train, Mystery, Speak, echolyn, Hackett, Flower Kings, Dee Expus, It Bites, Threshold, Hasse, Kaipa, Anglagard, Sylvan, Flying Colors, Mood Safari
    Ahhh, the swedish band with a lot of harmonies in minor key?

Interesting tha Big Big Trains's album was voted best, but it is that one and only that one of theirs that I cannot get into!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Interesting tha Big Big Trains's album was voted best, but it is that one and only that one of theirs that I cannot get into!
    Because only 700 voted and if your band has a enthusiastic fan base - bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Because only 700 voted and if your band has a enthusiastic fan base - bingo
    Several bands/groups of fans clearly mobilised. BBT were not one of them.

I am not about to dictate who votes for what but some of these groups do it every year. You can usually tell, they ONLY vote for one band in every category they can. They seldom get more than a dozen or two voting, you'd need a lot more than that to make a real difference even with a total vote of 700. None of the top results were skewed by these actions.

Cheers

Jez

Cheers

Jez

I'm just excited that 3 people voted Karl Eisenhart best guitarist - since I'm the only one in Pinnacle who voted, that's two actual people!

I'll take it....

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    since I'm the only one in Pinnacle who voted, that's two actual people!
    I'm one of the others.