Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Colbert Releases New Prog Album: Explosive Cyclogenesis

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I remember when Rush was on that one of his producers was the main reason they were on, not Colbert himself.
    That was actually part of the joke. Stephen claimed it was Jimmy who's the Rush fan, and whose idea it was to have them on the show. In fact, it was actually Stephen who was the huge fan. The denial was part of the character he was playing at the time. Stephen's apparent indifference toward the band during the interview was also part of the joke. The show producers informed the band ahead of time it was going to happen and was part of the joke.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That was actually part of the joke. Stephen claimed it was Jimmy who's the Rush fan, and whose idea it was to have them on the show. In fact, it was actually Stephen who was the huge fan. The denial was part of the character he was playing at the time. Stephen's apparent indifference toward the band during the interview was also part of the joke. The show producers informed the band ahead of time it was going to happen and was part of the joke.
    That is the brilliance of his character on that show. He was, essentially, doing Bill O'Reilly.

Man, I really miss that show. Him and Jon Stewart.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I own every album from The Cars; none from Rundgren. As long as I don't have to endure a live performance or a monologue from Rundgren -- set it up and I am there!
    That's odd. You should get "The Ballad of Todd Rundgren." You'd be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That is the brilliance of his character on that show. He was, essentially, doing Bill O'Reilly.

Man, I really miss that show. Him and Jon Stewart.
    You should check out The Opposition with Jordan Klepper. That show takes the Colbert Report idea to another level, where Jordan plays an Alex Jones type conspiracy theorist.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    That's odd. You should get "The Ballad of Todd Rundgren." You'd be pleasantly surprised.
    Unless you just dislike Todd on general principles. Some people do. He seems to be one of those guys like Billy Joel - polarizing because of his versatility and professionalism, because for all his talent and ability, he doesn't come across as "the real deal". Or at least he doesn't try very hard to, doesn't seem to see it as necessary. That perception also may have something to do with him not having a great feel for R&B.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Same thing. I think he's pretty damn funny, even if bopping on some of his current targets is like shooting ducks in a barrel - you don't have to work very hard to get laughs when you can't make this shit up. But some, and some on here despise him and everything he stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    You should check out The Opposition with Jordan Klepper. That show takes the Colbert Report idea to another level, where Jordan plays an Alex Jones type conspiracy theorist.
    I have not caught that yet. I keep missing it. But, he is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Same thing. I think he's pretty damn funny, even if bopping on some of his current targets is like shooting ducks in a barrel - you don't have to work very hard to get laughs when you can't make this shit up. But some, and some on here despise him and everything he stands for.
    The jokes are writing themselves, regretfully.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I think he's pretty damn funny, even if bopping on some of his current targets is like shooting ducks in a barrel - you don't have to work very hard to get laughs when you can't make this shit up. But some, and some on here despise him and everything he stands for.
    Well, of course that's it in a nutshell. Colbert makes a living off poking fun of high profile morons and if one happens to be a fanboy of one of those high profile morons then that one simply CAN NOT stay out of a thread which no intelligent person (who loves one of those high profile morons; and yes it's possible to be intelligent and still love a moron... somehow... I'm sure there's a way) would read.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^^^

So...

I like Colbert. Not everyone on here does. Not everyone who doesn't like him or doesn't agree with him is a moron or unintelligent.

Regardless of which side of the aisle I stand politically, this is just baiting people into arguments.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

These shows to me are as much if not more about the guests than they are about the hosts. That's why I prefer reruns of Carson and Cavett to any of the current shows
    The guests back then were much more compelling. I recently saw a Cavett rerun from 1970 with guests Salvador Dali, Satchel Paige and Lillian Gish. Three stone cold legends on the stage at the same time. It's tough to match that.

Cavett was great. He was so passive-aggressive with his guests, he brought out surprising answers without them even realizing they were being manipulated.

But I disagree that the guests were better then. Remember, you're watching HIGHLIGHT reels.

^ C'mon. It's so watered down now. Everyone is getting their 15 minutes, and most at the same time. So much is driven by YouTube and social media (I'm still waiting for them to invent anti-social media...What's that?..It's called "Twitter"?..Never mind.) I don't pay any attention to those platforms, nor do I recognize the actors from our fragmented and diffuse entertainment programming. I realize that I am not part of the target group, but for me, these people hold no interest. And while you're at it, get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    These shows to me are as much if not more about the guests than they are about the hosts. That's why I prefer reruns of Carson and Cavett to any of the current shows
    The guests back then were much more compelling. I recently saw a Cavett rerun from 1970 with guests Salvador Dali, Satchel Paige and Lillian Gish. Three stone cold legends on the stage at the same time. It's tough to match that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Cavett was great. He was so passive-aggressive with his guests, he brought out surprising answers without them even realizing they were being manipulated.

But I disagree that the guests were better then. Remember, you're watching HIGHLIGHT reels.

Cavett is the best, IMO. Carson not so much. I've seen Carson ask some pretty stupid questions, like spending far too much time talking to Yo Yo Ma about his name and far too little time about his art. Cavett is unlike any other interviewer I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ^^^

So...

I like Colbert. Not everyone on here does. Not everyone who doesn't like him or doesn't agree with him is a moron or unintelligent.

Regardless of which side of the aisle I stand politically, this is just baiting people into arguments.
    Exactly. I don't like Colbert because I simply don't like his style of humor and find his interviews dull. I could care less about the right and left bullshit...all I care about is the funny.

In my opinion, one of the best more recent late night talk show interviewers was Craig Ferguson. This guy has the gift of conversation. No talking points, just a wing it conversation. So refreshing...instead of the same ol boring movie promotions and scripted nonsense.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    In my opinion, one of the best more recent late night talk show interviewers was Craig Ferguson. This guy has the gift of conversation. No talking points, just a wing it conversation. So refreshing...instead of the same ol boring movie promotions and scripted nonsense.
    All of his monologues were also wing it conversation, and funny as hell at that. Additionally, they had a timeless quality. He actually taped some shows several months in advance, but the monologues were still as fresh as if they were taped that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Craig Ferguson. This guy has the gift of conversation..
    The BEST! Loved this guy. Being a Scot didn't hurt him, either. Brilliant chap.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The BEST! Loved this guy. Being a Scot didn't hurt him, either. Brilliant chap.
    He did a pretty cool YouTube show called 'Couple Thinkers' if you haven't seen it and has a good radio show on SiriusXM. He's got a great blend of smarts and silliness that hits the spot for me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Agree that Ferguson was way funnier / more interesting (by far) than either D Miller or S Colbert. Still find the idea of a SC prog album... errr... interesting.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I prefer Colbert to Ferguson, but I did think Ferguson was fun - it surprised me when his show ended. It’s seemed sudden.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Agree that Ferguson was way funnier / more interesting (by far) than either D Miller or S Colbert. Still find the idea of a SC prog album... errr... interesting.
    Comparing Colbert to Miller is like comparing the Hope Diamond with a dead skunk swarming with maggots. Jezuz H. Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Comparing Colbert to Miller is like comparing the Hope Diamond with a dead skunk swarming with maggots. Jezuz H. Christ!
    mmmmm.......maggots.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

dead skunk swarming with maggots
    ...which coincidentally is the title of Colbert's grindcore album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    LOL! You guys are a hoot!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Backwards. Boodah H. Boodah.

Pennis Miller. Barn E. Miller.

Meh... I find them both equally annoying / smug / unfunny. So, in that way they're very comparable. To me. YMMV