Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Drummers of King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Who's your fave?
    Giles. Not just good; an innovator. And for all the talk of "jazziness," his conception was essentially orchestral.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 01-05-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Bruford.Having been influenced by Muir....

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I really like all of them, but I immediately think of Giles, Bruford, and Mastelotto. Though, I think Muir has had equal influence (via Bruford, etc.) on the band as a whole.

If you like Giles's drumming, but haven't listened to the McDonald & Giles album, remedy this forthwith. His storytelling from the kit in "Birdman" is without peer.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The guy on LIZARD is my favorite. I thought Haskell's bass playing was great also, I don't know why people often denigrate it.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The guy on LIZARD is my favorite. I thought Haskell's bass playing was great also, I don't know why people often denigrate it.
    I totally agree. He was amazing. It is a great pity that Fripp was such an ass that he lost both McCulloch and Haskell because of his behaviour. And the history repeated itself with the Island lineup. That was less of a loss, although Wallace was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    He is incredible. And that is all he did with Crimson, such an amazing album on a number of fronts. But being sandwiched between the other drummers, he somehow gets lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    My fave KC-drummer will remain McCulloch. Some of his playing on Lizard is outright extraordinary and fascinating.
    I actually know quite a lot of folks wo are of the exact same opinion. Giles was great too, though. While Bruford is an excellent drummer, I never particularly enjoyed his specific style of playing - to the extent that I'm not sure I'd be such a fan of National Health if he'd remained with them.

Interestingly, McCulloch's inputs with Fields and Greenslade are far less compelling to my ears than what he did on Lizard. The latter, however, displays a rare instance where a "symph rock" drummer attains as wildly colourful and versatile an expression as that I heard from my fave UK progressive percussionists of the 70s; Hiseman, Cutler, Wyatt, Pyle.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Interestingly, McCulloch's inputs with Fields and Greenslade are far less compelling to my ears than what he did on Lizard.
    His parts with those bands were probably developed in a more traditional rock band way. If Gordon Haskell's sour grapes-filled account of the Lizard sessions can be believed, Fripp dictated parts to the rhythm section players, who had to lay them down without any clear idea of what the finished track was supposed to sound like. Consequently, he "overplayed." This parallels the situation with Barrie Barlow in Jethro Tull, who complained that he wouldn't have come up with such busy parts if he'd known what was going to be dubbed on top. In my opinion, in both cases the results of forcing the drummer out of his comfort zone were much more interesting than what would have happened if the drummer had been allowed to come up with more "appropriate" parts.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

No Giles....no McCulloch (as good as he was). Even into Fields and Greenslade, there was no question who his main man was.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

all the drummers seemed right for each stage of the band's evolution.

That's the wisest thing I've heard you say around here in awhile.

Can I offer that a drummer is only as good as his rhythm buddy?

If we can accept that, can I also offer the following?

There were never two rhythm buddies on the same Crimson page as much as the Gunn/Mastelotto rhythm section.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Can I offer that a drummer is only as good as his rhythm buddy?

If we can accept that, can I also offer the following?

There were never two rhythm buddies on the same Crimson page as much as the Gunn/Mastelotto rhythm section.
    And this is why, for all the perfectly justified discussion of what Belew contributed to the band, Trey Gunn is who I miss most in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    And this is why, for all the perfectly justified discussion of what Belew contributed to the band, Trey Gunn is who I miss most in KC.
    I'll tell ya who I miss in King Crimson: Jamie Muir. I really love the live recordings on the Larks Tongues box, and wish there were better quality recordings of that band, and also that it had lasted longer than it did.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Trey Gunn is who I miss most in KC.
    As much as I like Levin, Gunn brought an aggressiveness that Levin doesn't always bring. Gunn's relative lack of activity (I think all he's doing is the Peter Gabriel cover band) is a bummer. His solo albums are all very good.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    As much as I like Levin, Gunn brought an aggressiveness that Levin doesn't always bring. Gunn's relative lack of activity (I think all he's doing is the Peter Gabriel cover band) is a bummer. His solo albums are all very good.
    Trey's performance in Montreal for The Power To Believe tour was stunning. Majestic and powerful.

The eons are closing
    <beavis> P@t and Trey rule...they rule! </beavis>
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I recently bought the New Haven 2003 disc. It seems like he took his intensity up to 11 for that last show. His playing on Red was pretty much saying "you're gonna miss me when I'm gone". I love his synergy with Mastelotto, I'm hoping they do more together in the future.

I agree about his recent activity. Security Project is nice and all and it looks like he's having fun, but I feel like his solo stuff has so much more to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by g.bremer View Post
    . I love his synergy with Mastelotto, I'm hoping they do more together in the future.
    TU and (I think) KTU have played shows recently (the past year or two), but they've been one off type things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That's the wisest thing I've heard you say around here in awhile.
    yeah, my unsuccessful attempt to sound neutral...
    when it comes to KC- the original lineup is king.
    my health is failing and i'm not myself these days.