Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Buckingham's Solo Career

Lindsey Buckingham's Solo Career

Time for a Lindsey Buckingham thread that centers around his solo work.

Buckingham Nicks – September 5, 1973
    Law & Order - October 3, 1981
    Go Insane - July 3, 1984
    Out Of The Cradle - June 16, 1992
    Under The Skin - October 3, 2006
    Gift Of Screws - September 15, 2008
    Seeds We Sow - September 6, 2011
    Buckingham/McVie - June 9, 2017

I enjoyed the OUT OF THE CRADLE album and the tour for which he came to the TLA on South Street in PHILA that year (in support of that release) which was and still is a relatively small place compared to where The MAC would normally play.

I am not sure any of that tour was ever filmed but it was to me one of the best shows I ever saw close up.
    He came complete with his ten piece band with three female back up singers to sing the Stevie and Christine parts when he played Fleetwood material. He mainly played the latest cd which again to me was the closest thing he got to a masterpiece.

He sounded the most like the Mac on that release with the only drawback being not many people were interested in his solo career at that time.

Out of the Cradle could have been one of best Fleetwood Mac albums ever if he had only waited to make it with the rest of Fleetwood Mac....not sure what his status was with the band at that time and I never really investigated ....

I love Go Insane.

Best thing he was ever part of, I think.

"Out Of The Cradle" would probably be my favorite of his. I also have a couple of live albums from him that are great. I have mentioned this before, but I got to see him solo in a 400 seat little theater a couple of years ago. It was just Lindsey with no band (although he did play to backing tapes). I have seen hundreds of concerts over the years, but this one would definitely be in my top 10. It was amazing.

I love his solo output and prefer Fleetwood Mac when he's part of the proceedings. His "Go Insane" album is my favorite among his solo albums. Didn't dig the album he did w/C. McVie at all. He's also an excellent guitar player which sometimes gets overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden4ever View Post
    Out of the Cradle could have been one of best Fleetwood Mac albums ever if he had only waited to make it with the rest of Fleetwood Mac....not sure what his status was with the band at that time and I never really investigated ....
    He made Out of the Cradle after he left FM in 1987/88, though it took some time and didn't come out until the early '90s. They continued on without him for awhile, but the commercial and creative returns were poor.

I must admit that Stevie's album Belladonna is the only solo album from the Rumours lineup that I enjoy all the way through. With the others they've all done, it always feels like they have enough good songs to contribute to a FM album, but not enough for a solo album. The mix of songs from Stevie/Lindsey/Christine just works really well together.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Out of the Cradle is my fave solo effort. It was my sonic reference standard back in the '90s and it was his best collection of songs in my opinion. His '80s efforts were pop music du jour but I was a child of New Wave so it appealed to me. The only modern solo effort I've been able to wrap myself around was Gift of Screws. I own Under The Skin and Seeds We Sow but their sparseness eludes me at times. The Buckingham/McVie album only serves to remind me that Fleetwood Mac, no matter how many incarnations the band's undergone since it's inception, is incomplete without its 5 major components Fleetwood, McVie, Perfect, Buckingham and Nicks.

It's only fair to point out that this latest Buckingham/McVie was supposed to be a fully realized FM reunion but it was Nicks that nixed the idea of releasing new material and would rather tour the old stuff. According to Buckingham she was beseeched for some time to no avail. (ironically, Nicks favors a proper CD release of the Buckingham Nicks album but its Lindsey that balks at it).

These last few solo efforts of Under The Skin, Gift of Screws and Seeds We Sow seem to represent a more stripped down approach, at least as far as recording and mixing goes. Yes, the same musicianship shines through as it always does, but the studio played a major role in Buckingham's sound in his first three studio efforts as well as FM albums like Mirage and Tango In The Night. At least this latest quasi-FM effort with McVie recalls those latter-day FM albums the way Out of the Cradle did. I think I enjoy the Buckingham McVie collaboration as much or more than even Gift of Screws, but wish it could've been more. But then again, FM albums haven't always represented the most equivalent of contributions. Mirage suffered a few Buckingham tosser while the best moments of Tango were Buckingham and McVie. The sprawling Say You Will needed either McVie's sweetness or her veto. She seems to have a calming, focusing effect on Buckingham's somewhat dire seriousness in some of his new millennium solo efforts.

Whatever happened to Richard Dashut? That guy figured heavily into Buckingham's early career. They seemed to be joined at the hip ala Richards/Jagger. They seemed to be hell bent on eschewing the trends of the day, from a production viewpoint anyway. Wasn't their collaborative efforts coined NowSounds on both FM and Buckingham solo efforts? In fact, I don't draw too much distinction between an effort like Law and Order and King Crimson's Discipline era (not saying they're brothers but maybe cousins). Maybe he (Dashut) went to the same pasture Robbie Blunt wound up in.

Despite Buckingham and Dashut's penchant for forward facing, if not left of center, production, Buckingham was still as much a perveyor of old-time signature rock-n-roll motifs as was Jeff Lynne, a much overlooked aspect of both artists repertoire IMO; maybe not Buckingham's latest effort but surely songs like Oh, Diane, It Was I, Holiday Road, Dancing 'Cross the USA and Say We'll Meet Again were paeans to early RnR.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Whatever happened to Richard Dashut? nR.
    Good question. He pretty much dropped off the radar completely around the turn of the century and has not done much of anything since that I can find.

I don't have any of Lindsey's solo albums, but I really, really like the Buckingham/McVie album. I was always a casual FM fan, and have never seen them live - no idea why, as I like everything I've heard from them. But I didn't see Lindsey and Christine this past summer and they were fantastic.

Gruno has urged me in the past to explore further, so it sounds like I need to pick up Go Insane and Out of the Cradle.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Big fan of Go Insane and Out of the Cradle but Gift of Screws should get some love as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh, okay, Jerol (adds to list).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't have any of Lindsey's solo albums, but I really, really like the Buckingham/McVie album. I was always a casual FM fan, and have never seen them live - no idea why, as I like everything I've heard from them. But I didn't see Lindsey and Christine this past summer and they were fantastic.
    Did ir didn't see them live?

Gruno has urged me in the past to explore further, so it sounds like I need to pick up Go Insane and Out of the Cradle.
    My top 2 introductory picks would be Out Of The Cradle and Under The Skin. I feel Go Insane, while good, might sound a bit dated.

In Lindsey's solo career we traveled through his failed relationships, sorrows, and triumphs in life. Under The Skin finds Lindsey coming full circle with his life. In "It Was You", he talks about finding his wife and celebrating the births of their 3 children -- which he calls by name in the song. A very passionate recording and a track that is great to see live, as Lindsey pours out his emotion when performing.

I don't have any of Lindsey's solo albums, but I really, really like the Buckingham/McVie album. I was always a casual FM fan, and have never seen them live - no idea why, as I like everything I've heard from them.
    Having just posted my recommendations to you, Scott, I realized that Gift Of Screws does give you more of a Fleetwood Mac vibe with a full band. Here are 2 of the best tracks performed live, in-studio for A&E tv.

...and this one sounds like it could have been taken from a 70s Fleetwood Mac album:

Goddammit Gruno! I was just about to post two of those!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Goddammit Gruno! I was just about to post two of those!

Yeah, Gift of Screws is more FM sounding than either solo album before and after, not that either are bad. He's much more introspective in his older age and nowhere near as pissed off, which I guess is to be expected. The album he did with McVie might not be a great Mac album but they do seem to pick up right where Tango In The Night left off. I liked Tango so it's no effort whatsoever getting into Buckingham/McVie.

Favorite solo track: the Eno-ish "All My Sorrows" (on "Out of the Cradle"), which got a lot of airplay around here at the time. Didn't realize until years later that it's a variation on a traditional folk song ("All My Trials") which has been recorded by many, many artists. Wikipedia says his version is based on the one recorded by The Kingston Trio in 1959. I also have "Go Insane" and "Law & Order".

Fans of Lindsey should watch this entire video. If you can't hold out, skip to the last 15 minutes for some fun:

And it appears that Lindsey's solo career has been revived! According to the rumor mill on Hoffman, he wanted to back off of the FM touring so do some solo stuff and Mick wasn't going to have any of it. Also, removing Lindsey is an improvement in Stevie's eyes.

And it appears that Lindsey's solo career has been revived! According to the rumor mill on Hoffman, he wanted to back off of the FM touring so do some solo stuff and Mick wasn't going to have any of it. Also, removing Lindsey is an improvement in Stevie's eyes.
    I'd much rather hear is solo work anyway.

According to Nicks (in more than one interview) Buckingham crossed a line for her after the Tango In The Night tour, suggesting things got physical (and not in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    According to Nicks (in more than one interview) Buckingham crossed a line for her after the Tango In The Night tour, suggesting things got physical (and not in a good way).
    Buckingham didn’t tour with Fleetwood Mac for that album. Did they meet up after the tour was over?

^I think the row was about the fact that Buckingham wouldn't tour, so it happened before the tour. Apparently the sessions for the album were horrendous, Nicks was in bad shape and contributed little material. Buckingham and McVie pretty much put that together. Buckingham felt it was bad enough in the studio so imagine how bad it will be on the road.

I personally get the impression both of them are 'difficult'...and in the same band, yikes!