Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings - 2017 recap and look ahead to 2018

I don't think you sent me anything, but you made some very good recommendations that I have since acquired, so thanks!

Also I remember many TFK discussions over there...good times! I'm sure if it were still going we'd be enthusing about BBT together

p.s. I just now joined the BBT facebook group...I didn't know about it until now!
    Last edited by progfan915; 03-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    The very same

I haven’t really been on forums much the past 3 or 4 years - mostly on the Big Big Train Facebook Group where a lot of the Genesis gang from the Turn it on Again forum emigrated to

I have had the occasional look though and just thought I’d see if I could still log in

How are things with you?
    Great to hear from you again, Nov! I still need to join that BBT facebook group...

Things are going okay; some pretty big ups and downs in recent years, but that's life these days... How have you been?

I still listen to The Flower Kings, though probably not as often as I did 10 years ago -- but just last week I spun the triple vinyl edition of Unfold The Future. A big reason why I started listening to them was due to seeing your enthusiasm for them on the old Genesis forum. You were always so jazzed about their music, it must've been contagious; but I'm not complaining.

Don't be a stranger! Your presence here would be most welcome, and there are quite a few good folks here. We have some pretty nice discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Hey, it's Nov! I was also part of the old Genesis forum gang...can't remember the name I used, it might have been sideshow.dave. We had a few discussions where you convinced me of the greatness of Nik Kershaw's music...thanks for that!

Anyway, sorry to detract from TFK...for me the box set doesn't have much I don't already have. But good for them if it attracts new fans!
    Sideshow Dave! I remember you! And to think all this time I never knew that's who you were.

Oh, and Nik Kershaw is terrific!

I was wondering. Has there ever been a poll among the FK crowd as to what selection of FK-bonus tracks could form an own independent album?
    I'd love to see how others estimate their bonus catalogue...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The Flower Kings - 2017 recap and look ahead to 2018

Cover art for The Sea Within has been released!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Cover art for The Sea Within has been released!

Your coloring skills have improved since you turned 50.

^ No, it’s by Mark Wilkinson.

^ No, it’s by Mark Wilkinson.

April Fools! I had you all there. That actually is my amazing illustration work, but my son drew the face on the back, which shows through. Maybe they can use the concept.

April Fools! I had you all there. That actually is my amazing illustration work, but my son drew the face on the back, which shows through. Maybe they can use the concept.
    Yeah, you really "fooled" me there.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yeah, you really "fooled" me there.....
    I wasn’t being serious.

Interesting new concert on Ticketmaster

https://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/sp...tickets/223673

Dec 7 - 2018
    Spock's Beard & Flower Kings Revisited
    De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

Roine promises more info tomorrow. I'm guessing this is the 'solo' tour hinted at earlier. Roine with some special guests playing Flower Kings songs. What will the band look like is the question? Hasse would seem to be a lock one would think. Jonas (unless busy with Hackett, then it could be Michael Stolt). Felix on drums? Hopefully Tomas! But if it is everyone then it would be billed as The Flower Kings wouldn't it? - so we will have to see - maybe Roine doesn't even know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

Dec 7 - 2018
    De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

Roine promises more info tomorrow. I'm guessing this is the 'solo' tour hinted at earlier. Roine with some special guests playing Flower Kings songs. What will the band look like is the question? Hasse would seem to be a lock one would think. Jonas (unless busy with Hackett, then it could be Michael Stolt). Felix on drums? Hopefully Tomas! But if it is everyone then it would be billed as The Flower Kings wouldn't it? - so we will have to see - maybe Roine doesn't even know yet.
    Saw this earlier this afternoon and I thought it was a joke. The joke would be TFK's without Tomas or Jonas...
    I'd still go if I lived in Sweden, Holland or Denmark!!!
    The Prog Corner

and in other TFK surprise news today - waiting in my mailbox when I got home today was: Kingdom Of Colours II 2004-2013

InsideOutMusic, celebrate their 25th anniversary of being a label in 2018, in what will be one of their biggest and busiest yet. To coincide with this, two of their longest serving artists, Spock's Beard & Roine Stolt's The Flower Kings, will head out on a European co-headline tour in Winter 2018.

You can find the full list of dates below:
    30th November – Cosmopolite, Oslo, Norway
    1st December – Kulturhuset Studion, Stockholm, Sweden
    2nd December – KB, Malmo, Sweden
    4th December – Zeche, Bochum, Germany
    5th December – Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
    6th December – La Machine, Paris, France
    7th December – De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
    8th December – Hedon, Zwolle, Netherlands
    9th December – Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK
    10th December – Academy Club, Manchester, UK

Spock’s Beard comment: "Spock's Beard is excited to announce an upcoming Winter tour! It will be a co-bill with Roine Stolt's THE FLOWER KING’s revisited band, so each show promises to be a great evening of music. We've been getting a lot of questions about who will be playing drums on this tour, so at this time let me introduce our new touring drummer, Mr. Mike Thorne, from SAGA! We are really excited to have him on board and are looking forward to seeing you on tour."

Roine Stolt adds: "Asked to put together a band to go on the road, celebrate our label Inside Out's 25 year anniversary - I was thinking of the 'treasure' that is the music I wrote for The Flower Kings during that same period. I felt compelled to bring out this music for yet another round – and in the process bring in some old friends and some new.
    The music is universal - some songs timeless - and by November I hope to have an exciting set-list - to not only celebrate my 1st album and the origin of all things "The Flower King" - but to cover the rest of TFK's history - and eventually a new tune & a few new faces. Tune up the engine - Time to prog!”
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

Dec 7 - 2018
    De Boerderij, Zoetermeer

Well, as mentioned on the thread about this, Tomas only found out about it when I posted the InsideOut announcement to the old Flower Kings Yahoo group. He seemed quite upset that he hadn't been asked or even told about it beforehand. I guess we'll see how it shakes out, but maybe Stolt was really just going for a solo Stolt show? Like you say, wouldn't he just call it The Flower Kings if it was all or most of the recent band members?

Can someone who is familiar with Flower Kings bonus tracks, fan club release tracks, etc. comment on the contents of the 3 bonus disks included in A Kingdom of Colours II? Here's the list. I don't know if these are all previously released or not:

CD7 - Bonus Disc 1

1 Kite 07:32
    2 Buffalo Man 05:28
    3 The Flower King (re-recording 1998) 11:46
    4 Stardust We Are (re-recording 1998) 08:57
    5 Last Exit 09:17
    6 Brazilian Woman 04:18
    7 Dexter Frank Jr. 02:24
    8 Agent Supreme 02:34
    9 Space Traveller 13:10

CD 8 - Bonus Disc 2

1 Petit Heritage 02:02
    2 A Good Heart 05:21
    3 The Crown and The Cross 04:54
    4 King of Grief 03:51
    5 She Carved Me a Wooden Heart 05:59
    6 Space Revolver 07:33
    7 Jupiter Backwards 06:25
    8 The River 05:43
    9 Turn The Stone 05:07
    10 Regal Divers 06:01

CD9 - Bonus Disc 3

1 Illuminati 06:20
    2 Fireghosts 05:50
    3 Going Up 05:10
    4 LoLines 04:40
    5 Runaway Train 04:41
    6 Interstellar Visitations 08:24
    7 Lazy Monkey 02:25
    8 Psalm 2013 02:10
    9 The Wailing Wall 03:18
    10 Badbeats 05:24
    11 Burning Spears 03:15
    12 The Final Era 02:57

Well, I know that Bonus Disc 3 is available on every copy of Banks of Eden and Desolation Rose, the last two Flower Kings albums. You'd have to get both to get all the tracks, but they are on there. The last 3 tracks on Disc 2 are from the bonus CD of The Sum Of No Reason. The rest would be harder to get since they were on Japanese only releases of various albums, but I also recognize a couple from fan club CD's.

In other words, they have ALL been previously released in some form or other, but this might be the best way to get them all. I already have most of them, so I didn't bother with this box set or the previous one, since I also have all the albums already.

Can someone who is familiar with Flower Kings bonus tracks, fan club release tracks, etc. comment on the contents of the 3 bonus disks included in A Kingdom of Colours II? Here's the list. I don't know if these are all previously released or not:
    earlier back one page I gave the source for all these tracks and a few comments here and there. Post is here.

I received my box set. Question for others who have this - on bonus disc 1 - the end of Last Exit during the fadeout there is a second of music from another song (sounds like the beginning of Agent Supreme) then the song ends and it goes into Brazilian Woman. Like they didn't edit the ending of Last Exit correctly. Wonder if just my pressing or all like this. I emailed InsideOut but haven't heard anything back.

Overall I am happy with it - it sits proudly next to volume 1 - they are same size. volume 2 being a little smaller in discs and booklet size has a foam insert in it to fill in the space that would be empty. SO if there is ever a new TFK disc it conceivably could fit in here. The booklet is the same format as volume 1, Roine interview and then all the album booklets. There is no information, lyrics or anything else about the Bonus songs within here besides the titles printed on the sleeve. The cardboard inserts for them are all the same design with slightly different color with the rose from DR on it.

SRS wrote: (nothing from the very hard to get 2000 fan club cd which is the only thing I don't have - anyone want to share?)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've got it. Give me some time. The wheels can turn pretty slowly here.
    I actually just found the 2000 Fan Club CD on Usenet (in MP3 format) and downloaded it - pretty sure it's not the first time I've downloaded it!).

SRS, if you have a dropbox location I could send it over for you, I think. PM me if interested.

SRS wrote: (nothing from the very hard to get 2000 fan club cd which is the only thing I don't have - anyone want to share?)

I actually just found the 2000 Fan Club CD on Usenet (in MP3 format) and downloaded it - pretty sure it's not the first time I've downloaded it!).

SRS, if you have a dropbox location I could send it over for you, I think. PM me if interested.
    actually moecurlythanu came through - so I've got a digital copy of it. Still looking for the physical and watching ebay but at least I've heard it now!

Any news on who will be in The Flower Kings Revisited?

I've only seen Roine (I guess it must be him on TFK FB page) confirm Hasse Fröberg so far: "For you who are curious - it will be an evening of TFK music ( & SB) - so come see me and Hasse and some other fine musicians play this."

I'm surprised he didn't mention Jonas, considering he's working with him right now in The Sea Within I'd be very surprised if he wasn't involved.

Here are my guesses for the other spots:

keys: Lalle Larsson/Tom Brislin/Andy Tillison
    drums: Jaime Salazar/Zoltán Csörsz/Marco Minnemann

Happy The Sea Within release day.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    You're a day early, but thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Ordered mine from Jonas. He said he shipped all of them out early this week (from Austria) so I'm hoping maybe next week late it will get here.