Thread: Black Mirror 4 - spoiler alert

Black Mirror 4 - spoiler alert

Anyone watching? Just came out a couple of days ago on Netflix. I watched the first two - of course they can be watched in any order - they are each self-contained episodes. So far then I watched
    1. USS Callister - just fucking amazing - maybe my favourite Black Mirror episode ever. Big argument with my wife over whether the main character is justified in doing what he does 'as an outlet' - 'no-one really gets harmed' etc or is he just a major c*nt!
    2. Arkangel - I don't have kids so I may not feel the same way as some who do - once again this caused a disagreement between me and the wife. I do think Jodi Foster created a fantastic feel for the whole episode - much like an American indie movie.

I'll probably be watching them in the order Netflix presents them so Crocodile is up next. Hope my marriage can survive the whole series.

Good Evening! I just finished up until season four episode five. I think the whole series is rather brilliant... although find the possibility of the future a bit disturbing. Yeah ~ change often doesn't suit me. Netflix sure has had some stellar shows!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    1. USS Callister - just fucking amazing - maybe my favourite Black Mirror episode ever.
    Big argument with my wife over whether the main character is justified in doing what he does 'as an outlet' - 'no-one really gets harmed' etc or is he just a major c*nt!
    OK. First of all, an important caveat: I haven't seen that episode, but I've read spoiler-filled reviews, so I know what it is about.

And from what I've read, those virtual "people" on the USS Callister are aware, have real people's personalities, and think that they are those real individuals who were scanned and downloaded to create them. So treating those virtuals badly is thoroughly reprehensible, even though they aren't "real" - they think they are real, they can hurt, and that's what counts. It's like mistreating animals: the excuse "they aren't human" doesn't matter, they're alive, they're aware, they can feel pain and that does matter.

Watched about half the episodes so far. My personal faves are Black Museum and USS Callister.

I liked both Arkangel and Metalhead, but I also thought both were unusually straightforward in execution, lacking the more typical perverse ironies that seem to be a staple of the show. I thought Metalhead was absolutely gorgeous, and would happily watch a feature film that expanded on the concept.

My fave remains San Junipero, which perhaps because it contrasts so strongly against other episodes, is astonishingly beautiful.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Several episodes dance around technology very similar to what was shown in San Junipero (pretty sure they used the same props even). The idea of what a digital "clone" of ourselves might comprise is handled in a variety of interesting ways too.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had been slowly watching these more or less in order, but watched all of season 4 in the last few days. Great show - my favorites were Black Museum, The National Anthem, and Fifteen Million Merits. But there are a couple I need to rewatch, like San Junipero. They all were worth watching though, and definitely harked back to The Twilight Zone. Crocodile was another good one. Looking forward to season 5!

There were one or two that seemed underwhelming, but given a little time I realized I was still thinking them through, which is always a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They all were worth watching though, and definitely harked back to The Twilight Zone.
    Five or six Black Mirror episodes are made per year whereas The Twilight Zone had between 29 and 36 episodes per year with the exception of season 4, which only had 18 episodes. The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits (49 episodes over two years) used up all the good ideas!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Five or six Black Mirror episodes are made per year whereas The Twilight Zone had between 29 and 36 episodes per year with the exception of season 4, which only had 18 episodes. The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits (49 episodes over two years) used up all the good ideas!
    CTTOI, the episode Metalhead is sort of similar to the great Twilight Zone episode The Invaders, with Agnes Moorehead as the woman defending herself from little invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    CTTOI, the episode Metalhead is sort of similar to the great Twilight Zone episode The Invaders, with Agnes Moorehead as the woman defending herself from little invaders.
    That episode is classic television. I remember watching it at around 10 or 11 years old and being almost memorized by it thinking it was so strange and so cool. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out who the actress was.