Thread: Jazz Fusion + MST3K

Jazz Fusion + MST3K

Ran into this video on Youtube and thought some of y'all might get a kick out of it, especially fans of MST3K and Rifftrax.

Hopefully, it's OK to post this here. If not, I apologize. I'm not affiliated with the channel in any way.

And now I want to see a riff of Yessongs. I found this really funny, especially when things got real at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Ran into this video on Youtube and thought some of y'all might get a kick out of it, especially fans of MST3K and Rifftrax.

Hopefully, it's OK to post this here. If not, I apologize. I'm not affiliated with the channel in any way.

Got my kick. Thanks.

Funny as well, but I can't help myself from thinking that it also sounds mean-spirited. Tide actually sounds quite good for my taste. Do I hear Seth Rogen in there, LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Funny as well, but I can't help myself from thinking that it also sounds mean-spirited. Tide actually sounds quite good for my taste. Do I hear Seth Rogen in there, LOL?
    I definitely laughed, but I think I agree. The music's not that bad, though it does err on the "duller" side of jazz-fusion. There were some bits I liked. I do hold that "Tide" is an awful band name.

Honestly, the film is actually a bit depressing, especially the final "twist." Music is a very punishing field for the creative.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Anyone who would like to watch the intriguing Tide documentary without the irritating snark can do so right here. The first few numbers bear the mesmerizing hallmarks of mid-'70s instrumental maximalism, with Rhodes arpeggios and legato licks aplenty. The narrator's voice blends soothingly with the dark, misty, multi-layered footage.

Apparently, the Kansas combo's development into a jazz-rock entity was never documented on record. Quite a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Anyone who would like to watch the intriguing Tide documentary without the irritating snark can do so right here. The first few numbers bear the mesmerizing hallmarks of mid-'70s instrumental maximalism, with Rhodes arpeggios and legato licks aplenty. The narrator's voice blends soothingly with the dark, misty, multi-layered footage.

Apparently, the Kansas combo's development into a jazz-rock entity was never documented on record. Quite a shame.
    Thanks. I really did like the music, but appreciated the humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Funny as well, but I can't help myself from thinking that it also sounds mean-spirited.
    I know the guys involved with the channel are musicians, so I think it was meant to all be a bit "tongue in cheek". I actually liked some of the music as well.

Hilarious video. More interesting than the music IMO which is a bit bland and generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post

Yes they were, "Almost Live" was a studio album.