Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac and the Resurgent Appeal of Stevie Nicks

Fleetwood Mac and the Resurgent Appeal of Stevie Nicks

Or...the thread Trurl (Fred) would love to hate. Actually there are plenty of haters here but I'll start this thread anyway. I always favored Christine over Stevie but I did like the grit and abandon in Nicks voice. I have known women that did indeed go totally Team Nicks to the point of worship and wearing shawls. The account in the first article of Mick looking out at a stadium crowd and seeing the Stevie Army is pretty cool.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2017...-fleetwood-mac

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...f-stevie-nicks

What I did not know, and should have realized, is what a dick Lindsey could be. Fits right in with that studio perfectionist personality and the massive amounts of cocaine most of them were on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Or...the thread Trurl (Fred) would love to hate. Actually there are plenty of haters here but I'll start this thread anyway. I always favored Christine over Stevie but I did like the grit and abandon in Nicks voice. I have known women that did indeed go totally Team Nicks to the point of worship and wearing shawls. The account in the first article of Mick looking out at a stadium crowd and seeing the Stevie Army is pretty cool.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2017...-fleetwood-mac

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...f-stevie-nicks

What I did not know, and should have realized, is what a dick Lindsey could be. Fits right in with that studio perfectionist personality and the massive amounts of cocaine most of them were on.
    Mmm.......my impression has been that they were all dick's to each other at one time or another, especially in their heavy drug years. I have read Stevie's book, both of Mick's books, and the excellent book "Storms" written by Carol Anne Harris who was Lindsey's female girlfriend / partner from 76 through about 84. They all had their moments of being not very pleasant people from time to time.

Thanks Steve, I was just wondering what books I could hunt down. You are correct, they all had their moments. And of course betrayal; breakups; massive amounts of fame, money, and cocaine do not bring out the best in anyone.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Lindsey's female girlfriend / partner
    Does this imply that Lindsey also had a male girlfriend / partner?

I don't care what anyone says, I like Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac, and I like Stevie Nicks. I can understand not liking her voice or her persona. But I agree with Jerjo in that I find her gritty in her own way and that unlike a lot of singers, the emotion in her vocals are palpable. She is also instantly recognizable. So she definitely gets props from me.

I would also say that Christine McVie is that bands secret weapon, giving them some of their greatest songs and adding greatly to so many others. So she gets major kudos from me as well. That whole band had a wonderful musical chemistry and made music I never seem to tire listening to, and like Heart back in the late 70s it was nice to have some female presence on the rock scene.

I know it was a mess behind the scenes. I'm sure they'd all like to take many things back if they could. But I choose not to dwell on salacious crap like that and prefer to just enjoy the music.

Bill

massive amounts of fame, money, and cocaine do not bring out the best in anyone.
    I would have been willing to give it a shot.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Does this imply that Lindsey also had a male girlfriend / partner?

I don't care what anyone says, I like Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac, and I like Stevie Nicks. I can understand not liking her voice or her persona. But I agree with Jerjo in that I find her gritty in her own way and that unlike a lot of singers, the emotion in her vocals are palpable. She is also instantly recognizable. So she definitely gets props from me.

I would also say that Christine McVie is that bands secret weapon, giving them some of their greatest songs and adding greatly to so many others. So she gets major kudos from me as well. That whole band had a wonderful musical chemistry and made music I never seem to tire listening to, and like Heart back in the late 70s it was nice to have some female presence on the rock scene.

I know it was a mess behind the scenes. I'm sure they'd all like to take many things back if they could. But I choose not to dwell on salacious crap like that and prefer to just enjoy the music.

Bill
    I would argue that Lindsey is really the secret weapon. The girls had the higher profile, but Lindsey wrote some brilliant stuff and IMO is very under rated as a musician. I saw him do a solo show a few years ago he was simply amazing.

Really though, it was all of them melded together that really made the band work as well as it did.

Thanks Steve, I was just wondering what books I could hunt down. You are correct, they all had their moments. And of course betrayal; breakups; massive amounts of fame, money, and cocaine do not bring out the best in anyone.
    Both of Fleetwood's books are really good, and "Storms" chronicles the band through their biggest years, but from a different point of view.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I probably like Buckingham most of any of the members hut yeah, his obsession over Nicks bled all over both Mac albums and his solo stuff. While she'd write introspectively and wistfully abut her relationship with Buckingham, he was spurned and bitter (she admitted being pissed about his vapid Go Your Own Way). He's admitted he was quite intense during the early days but yeah, the rest of the band use terms like volital or aggressive. Buckingham himself could be quoted in the '80s referring to Nicks as "Queen nimpho of rock-n-roll" (forget the publication). Buckingham would go on to refer to Mick himself as Mr Rock Cock in the song 'Wrong' from 1990's Out of the Cradle solo album, referring to Fleetwood's tell-all book. Nicks mentioned in an interview a decade or so ago that Buckingham had said things to her in the heat of arguments that no amount of time could undo.

It's a shame. Because of all of them were better as a whole. Take away just one member and you had an ok album, just not a great one. Even the lack of Christine left a hole in the overreaching Say You Will.

And as over-discussed is As The Band Turns tale that was Fleetwood Mac it left an indelible mark in rock history when you consider a band like Calexico channeling the era with the spot-on paean to Buckingham, the song Not Even Stevie Nicks, a song that could be a companion piece to songs like What Makes Think You're The One or Save Me A Place.

I like the Peter Green version of FM. Never much cared for the Nicks-Buckingham version. Anyway, my wife is a big fan so I agreed to accompany her to the 1997 concert at the MGM in Las Vegas. And I must admit that it was a really good show. I'm still not a fan, but I do have one good experience at least.

One of many bands whose considerable talent I respected, but who never did a whole lot for me.

And it always irritated me a bit that Stevie played no instruments onstage, and was thus reduced to dancing and looking silly on Christine and Lindsay's songs. How hard would those have been to play on acoustic guitar? (which she can play) She wouldn't have needed to do anything fancy - they had Lindsay for that - just play basic chords and fill in the middle.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-31-2017 at 10:20 PM.

I would argue that Lindsey is really the secret weapon.
    There should be no secret about Lindsey Buckingham, I think most everyone recognized his talent. Christine slipped more under the radar, imo, and that's what I was trying to say.

Really though, it was all of them melded together that really made the band work as well as it did.
    I agree with this, as I said.

Bill

Mmm.......my impression has been that they were all dick's to each other at one time or another, especially in their heavy drug years. I have read Stevie's book, both of Mick's books, and the excellent book "Storms" written by Carol Anne Harris who was Lindsey's female girlfriend / partner from 76 through about 84. They all had their moments of being not very pleasant people from time to time.
    Well, they certainly had their dicks inside each other... While Nicks was doing Fleetwood, forgetting Buckinass, Christine was fucking some dude in the organisation and singing You Making Loving Fun, driving McVie into drugs and alcohol (but not suicide, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Yeah, both Nicks and the Wilson sister looked really cute into those gypsy dresses (Little Queen for Heart), and it was a major cause for fantasy.

I also preferred Christine' voice to Stevie's but let's favce it, the latter had some really cool overtones and did wonders in the Petty duets.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll just take the middle commodity and run.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I probably like Buckingham most of any of the members hut yeah, his obsession over Nicks bled all over both Mac albums and his solo stuff. While she'd write introspectively and wistfully abut her relationship with Buckingham, he was spurned and bitter (she admitted being pissed about his vapid Go Your Own Way). He's admitted he was quite intense during the early days but yeah, the rest of the band use terms like volital or aggressive. Buckingham himself could be quoted in the '80s referring to Nicks as "Queen nimpho of rock-n-roll" (forget the publication). Buckingham would go on to refer to Mick himself as Mr Rock Cock in the song 'Wrong' from 1990's Out of the Cradle solo album, referring to Fleetwood's tell-all book. Nicks mentioned in an interview a decade or so ago that Buckingham had said things to her in the heat of arguments that no amount of time could undo.
    I would also ache if I lost such a walking wet dream like Stevie over some stupid lanky drummer.

But FM invented nothing about having personal songs about each other's lovers... Wasn't Visions Of Angels about Gabe or Phillips' wife or GF of the moment??

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I like the Peter Green version of FM.
    Agreed, but out of topic...

only the Soap Opera years in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    And it always irritated me a bit that Stevie played no instruments onstage, and was thus reduced to dancing and looking silly on Christine and Lindsay's songs. How hard would those have been to play on acoustic guitar? (which she can play) She wouldn't have needed to do anything fancy - they had Lindsay for that - just play basic chords and fill in the middle.
    or a timpani, FTM

Yup, but maybe that was part of Buck's strategy to get back at her once he lost her.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's a shame. Because of all of them were better as a whole. Take away just one member and you had an ok album, just not a great one. Even the lack of Christine left a hole in the overreaching Say You Will.

Interesting, I never knew "Wrong" was about Fleetwood. Regarding "Say You Will", I really loved that album. I love most of Buckingham's songs on it and most of Stevie's are strong as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    One of many bands whose considerable talent I respected, but who never did a whole lot for me.

le.
    I was not into Fleetwood Mac at all back when they were really popular. It was not until I heard Buckingham's "Out Of The Cradle" album (which I loved) that I went back and discovered FM's non hit stuff. I also eventually went back to discover the pre-Buckingham / Nicks era too, which I now also really enjoy.

Banned
    Not a huge fan, but anyone who can write a song as beautiful as "Landslide" gets my respect.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was not into Fleetwood Mac at all back when they were really popular. It was not until I heard Buckingham's "Out Of The Cradle" album (which I loved) that I went back and discovered FM's non hit stuff. I also eventually went back to discover the pre-Buckingham / Nicks era too, which I now also really enjoy.
    Out of The Cradle is a sumptuous sounding effort as well (referring to sound quality). It's still to this day (IMO) his best, most cohesive effort. It may also be (AFAIK) his last project with long time collaborator Richard Dacshut.

I was a big FM fan up until the Buckingham-Nicks era began, and immediately hated them because they were so poppy and successful, and my mainstream friends made me listen to them all the time. I was listening to nothing but prog at that point. It wasn't until the late 80's that I grew to appreciate them and a lot of other non-prog acts (such as Grateful Dead) from the 70's. Still prefer Then Play On through Mystery to Me.

Out of The Cradle is a sumptuous sounding effort as well (referring to sound quality). It's still to this day (IMO) his best, most cohesive effort. It may also be (AFAIK) his last project with long time collaborator Richard Dacshut.
    It will be nice having you in the Lindsey Buckingham solo thread I'm conjuring up.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Not sure that Nicks' appeal is considered resurgent (maybe I just didn't hear the news), but there is no denying her contribution to the band's repertoire and popularity. I first got into Fleetwood Mac during the Bob Welch years, and I still enjoy Bob's songs and those he wrote with Christine. At the time, there was nowhere to go but back, and I got into the Peter Green phase of the band, as well. It was quite a journey to experience them transitioning from a blues band into a hit pop band with the release of Fleetwood Mac and heavy touring. The Buckingham-Nicks version of the band is the only one I got to see in concert, in the summer of 1976. Although much of the music I listened to at the time was much heavier, Fleetwood Mac presented a relaxing break from that while managing to construct exceptionally well-played pop-rock that was catchy and not insipid, like much pop music has become since. And they could rock out in concert (e.g. "I'm So Afraid," and Buckingham's adaptation of Green's "Oh Well"). The band was never short on musical talent, yet the crowd seemed enamored of both Nicks' stage presence, and her songs. No denying her appeal.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The front cover photo of her first solo album sold me on that one....it is amazing what an album cover can do!!!

Part of the resurgence of Stevie and FM is because a lot of the critical slagging the band took back in the late '70s and '80s because they weren't "punk" is ancient history to young people today. What remains is the music (and Stevie's image, to be sure).

There isn't much gimmickry to FM's music, so I think it endures.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden4ever View Post
    The front cover photo of her first solo album sold me on that one....it is amazing what an album cover can do!!!

let's just say that any cover where she and Christine appear is sexier (I didn't say better) than a Mac album of the PG or BW era

So yes Stevie (and Christine) certainly created resurgence in many male pants.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    let's just say that any cover where she and Christine appear is sexier (I didn't say better) than a Mac album of the PG or BW era

So yes Stevie (and Christine) certainly created resurgence in many male pants.
    I think Stevie was at her most appealing in her early days with FM - see the live and unhinged performances of Rhiannon for example. I'm not really a fan of the big hair, scarves and chiffon, and platform boots.

btw.

How is Peter Green?