Thread: 1977 - The Ultimate Mix (436 hours and counting)

1977 - The Ultimate Mix (436 hours and counting)

Forty years ago today, one of the most iconic years in the history of recorded music came to a close. To mark the time, I assembled this list of every ruby — and a number of saphires — from this endless year of joy. It was a year for jazz-rock, jazz-funk, electronic music, lavish pop, funky hard rock, blue-eyed soul, instrumentals, and all around global exotica.

Nineteen seventy-seven might have lasted only 365 days, but there are more than 5,350 songs on this list from roughly 1,500 albums and numerous archival releases and singles. If one were to listen to this whole list from start-to-finish in 12-hour daily installments, it would take 36 days to complete. The following 39 cuts are merely what I got through this evening:

Rock Follies of '77 - OK (3:30)
    Birth Control - Skate-Board Sue (3:56)
    Supermax - World of Today (4:23)
    Ray Warleigh Reverie - Reverie (5:28)
    Jean Pierre Decerf - Medical Future Concept (3:14)
    Vårsøg - Ein under altet (2:05)
    Northwind - When Dreams are Lost (6:48)
    Ash Ra - Lotus Parts I-IV (16:55)
    Ypsilon - Metro Music Man (3:24)
    Hugh Hopper - Hopper Tunity Box+Miniluv (7:02)
    First Cosins Jazz Ensemble - Psalm (2:28)
    The Clash - Hate & War (2:06)
    Donna Summer - Once Upon A Time (4:02)
    Daryl Hall - Don't Leave Me Alone With Her (6:22)
    Arco Iris - Elemental de Fuego: Cristalizando los Rayos del Sol (4:28)
    Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Requiem For A Sinner (6:02)
    Emmanuelle Parrenin - Liturgie (3:12)
    Steve Hillage - Saucer Surfing (4:20)
    Aditus - Paola (2:09)
    Turner & Kirwan of Wexford - Absolutely and Completely a). Sunshower b). Absolutely and Completely c). Frodo's Theme (9:28)
    Gianni Safred & His Electronic Instruments - Spheres (3:09)
    Alberto Radius - Nel ghetto (4:50)
    Hydravion - J'ar pas le temps (6:23)
    Michael Mantler - After My Work Each Day (2:47)
    Vangelis - Dervish D (5:15)
    Rinder & Lewis - Lust (7:07)
    Dana Kaproff - The First Attack (1:07)
    Zoldar & Clark - Day After Day (3:33)
    Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes - A Song of Love (4:05)
    Hot Flash - Diamond Wings (6:08)
    Akasha - Death Hymn (5:20)
    Treponem Pal - Evensong (9:33)
    Alan Parsons Project - The Voice (5:24)
    Patrick Moraz - Kabala (4:58)
    Smak - Tegoba (6:46)
    Al Di Meola - 04 Race With Devil On Spanish Highway (6:18)
    Golden Earring - I Need Love (6:29)
    Yoshiko Sai - Henro (3:55)
    Peter Hammill - Lost And Found (7:11)

The full list can be viewed right here. If you wish to hear a song yourself, double-click title>right click>search Google for "title">see what comes up in a second tab.

The above list was assembled with the help of this labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Forty years ago today, one of the most iconic years in the history of recorded music came to a close. To mark the time, I assembled this list of every ruby — and a number of saphires — from this endless year of joy. It was a year for jazz-rock, jazz-funk, electronic music, lavish pop, funky hard rock, blue-eyed soul, instrumentals, and all around global exotica.

Nineteen seventy-seven might have lasted only 365 days, but there are more than 5,350 songs on this list from roughly 1,500 albums and numerous archival releases and singles. If one were to listen to this whole list from start-to-finish in 12-hour daily installments, it would take 36 days to complete. The following 39 cuts are merely what I got through this evening:

Wow...
    I admire the amount of free time on your hands to actually be able to build kind of list

Your full list shows a lot things that I wouldn't even dream of listening again/anymore (Eddie & The Hot Rods??) and many more I probably never will (Strassenjungs) and others I've never heard of (Jean Pierre Decerf, for ex), but it's an interesting one and certainly displays a certain musical knowledge

I tried to listen to the tracks following your instructions, but it didn't work.
    Last edited by Trane; 12-31-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Wow...
    I tried to listen to the tracks following your instructions, but it didn't work.
    In Windows: Highlight — or double-click to highlight — a title of interest, right-click over the highlight, and in the right-click scroll-down menu click _Search Google for "(title you highlighted)"_. This should open a Google search for the song in a second tab. In three-fourths of all cases, a YouTube link to a video of the song will be one of the top search returns.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are you saying you're familiar with all the songs on the list?

Yes, I've listened to all the songs on that list a minimum of three-to-five times. Others — roughly a third of the list — I've listened to at least 10 times. Some I've listened to 50 to 100 times, but the purpose of a list like this is to break the habit of play-favoritism.

I require of myself three-to-four listens — the first two as I work, the third or fourth with my undivided attention — before I reach a verdict of red, purple, or no mention for a given song. I go into more detail on this topic in the "other comments" section of my RYM front page.

Twelve years of this RYM-structured system has allowed me to develop a trained-listening ear for practically all styles of '70s/early '80s music from around the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes, I've listened to all the songs on that list a minimum of three-to-five times. Others — roughly a third of the list — I've listened to at least 10 times. Some I've listened to 50 to 100 times, but the purpose of a list like this is to break the habit of play-favoritism.

I require of myself three-to-four listens — the first two as I work, the third or fourth with my undivided attention — before I reach a verdict of red, purple, or no mention for a given song. I go into more detail on this topic in the "other comments" section of my RYM front page.

Twelve years of this RYM-structured system has allowed me to develop a trained-listening ear for practically all styles of '70s/early '80s music from around the world.
    Impressive!

nice mix. Pretty sweet year for music and albums, although most years in the 70's were.

I made a calendar last Summer about it and included a vague ranking of my favorites.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...endar-and.html

In Windows: Highlight — or double-click to highlight — a title of interest, right-click over the highlight, and in the right-click scroll-down menu click _Search Google for "(title you highlighted)"_. This should open a Google search for the song in a second tab. In three-fourths of all cases, a YouTube link to a video of the song will be one of the top search returns.

Barely 25% success rate, but as you'd guess, I didn't try with Doobie Bros or Styx , but more how I could trick the system into failing, by choosing obscure stuff I've not heard and know will be difficult to find (either availability or misleading names)

Unless you have to join G+ (which I won't, coz I'm trying to live my life without G >> though YT is making it rather near-impossible)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.