Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Agusa - Agusa

FEATURED ALBUM: Agusa - Agusa

As 2017 closes out, how about some love for the latest album from Agusa? Three studio albums to date, but is this their best yet? It's hard to say, but I would say it connected with me instantly. Fans?

Review at ProgArchives:
    4.5 stars. I have to say that AGUSA's new album is their best in my opinion. This is a 5 piece band(flute, organ, drums, guitar and bass) out of Sweden and I was surprised to hear that organist Jonas Berge left the band in January of 2017 as they started to record this new album. So enter Danish keyboardist Jeppe Juul who actually lives in Sweden. While I do feel this is their best yet that traditional Swedish Folk vibe remains fairly strong and I'm not big on that vibe. Still this was an absolute joy to listen to pre-Christmas. Oh, and the new organ player is outstanding.

"Landet Langesen" opens with some solemn flute as the bass arrives and the organ seems to echo before a fuller sound arrives with drums. There's a brief calm with guitar and drums before that full sound returns. A calm 3 1/2 minutes in as flute comes to the fore. Some nice organ before 5 minutes as the guitar echoes in this laid back section. The tempo picks up at 5 1/2 minutes. Organ and wah- wah guitar after 8 minutes. The guitar starts to cry out after 9 minutes, then the organ comes in playing over top to the end. A great start!

"Sorgenfri" opens with some beautiful guitar melodies but soon the flute takes over with picked guitar then it turns fuller. The organ kicks in after 2 1/2 minutes in this uptempo section. It's the guitar's turn to lead after 4 minutes as he lights it up. Nice.

"Den ortrollade Skogen" has an experimental intro with atmosphere and various sounds that come and go. A beat after 1 1/2 minutes then the flute joins in around 2 minutes. Soon we have a full sound with flute over top. The organ will replace the flute then we get a calm 4 minutes in. I like the organ before 5 1/2 minutes. The flute is back then a full sound kicks back in at 7 minutes.

"Sager Fran Saaris" is my favourite on here. I like the rhythm here with guitar over top before the organ takes the guitar's place. A traditional sounding section here but it changes before 2 minutes as we get a calm with flute that sounds so much like the flute on KING CRIMSONs "I Talks To The Wind". That sound returns again just before 4 minutes. In between we get a guitar solo that starts before 3 1/2 minutes. It settles right down 5 minutes in. This is so good with that beat, bass, guitar and flute that all come and go. Such a cool section. It's building 6 1/2 minutes in. Guitar before 7 minutes and it's becoming more powerful sounding. So good!

"Bortom Hemom" opens with relaxed organ as the flute joins in. Pastoral is the word. Cymbals follow then what sounds like violin. It kicks in with drums and organ after 1 1/2 minutes. I like when the guitar joins in. Great sound 5 1/2 minutes in as the flute joins in as well. Organ only before 6 1/2 minutes as it seems to start over. The rest of the band joins in. Love the guitar before 8 1/2 minutes.

This was a very pleasant surprise. I liked these guys before and their retro sound but they've upped the ante here with this self titled release. This is feel good music and who isn't into some great sounding flute and organ with lots of wah-wah guitar. Come on! - Mellotron Storm

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

excellent retro but not totally retro progressive rock from Sweden, who has been doing it really well for 50 years!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like it quite a bit, it's connected with me a lot more than their previous releases. It's probably going to be one of those albums I don't actively reach for but very happily listen to if it comes up on shuffle.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I actually prefer last year's Katarsis to this one

I like this one ok but it seems to me they lost a step

also... isn't this their 4th album???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I actually prefer last year's Katarsis to this one

I like this one ok but it seems to me they lost a step

also... isn't this their 4th album???
    Three studio albums and one live so yeah fourth overall. I love how warm and melodic this album is.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

It also received very positive reviews on DPRP
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2017-089#agusa

This album is fighting for top 2017 prog release with Roger's Is This The life
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It is ok, nothing special.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This album is fighting for top 2017 prog release with Roger's Is This The life
    I haven't heard a lot of feedback about that Waters album but I think it might be his best. Loved "The Wall"-like samples and his raw emotion.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I just can't warm up to this album. Although it has a good vibe, the vibe is too similar. The songs almost all sound like each other. Needs more compositional variety. The last track is the strongest, to my tastes. Obviously, many here like it, but I prefer the Wobbler and Jordsjo albums.

neil

I clicked with this one instantly. A very visual and "cinematic" record; one could compare it to Djam Karet in that regard. Makes me feel the fall and winter in Scandinavia, beautiful fjords, magnificent moose, all that.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I just can't warm up to this album. Although it has a good vibe, the vibe is too similar. The songs almost all sound like each other. Needs more compositional variety. The last track is the strongest, to my tastes. Obviously, many here like it, but I prefer the Wobbler and Jordsjo albums.

neil
    I was about to write the exact same words.

Love this album. It's #2 of the year for me behind Wobbler.

[...] Although it has a good vibe, the vibe is too similar. The songs almost all sound like each other. Needs more compositional variety. [...]
    They are not trying to be Gentle Giant. The music isn't "busy" in that way, and intentionally so. The influences are early 70s Swedish progressive music (psych, folk, long jams) that had little in common with the UK prog at the time.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    They are not trying to be Gentle Giant. The music isn't "busy" in that way, and intentionally so. The influences are early 70s Swedish progressive music (psych, folk, long jams) that had little in common with the UK prog at the time.
    Swedish bands such as Kebnekajse and Fläsket Brinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    An interesting point, but I'm not really talking about busy. The songs all sound very similar. Chord progressions, length of the progressions....I have no problem with a more scaled down vibe, and a simpler feel, but it just all sounds too much the same, to me. YMMV.

neil

Made my Top 10 list.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

neil
    I get what your saying and I feel the last track is the best as well. The only negatives for me are those traditional folk melodies that pop up once in a while, but yeah it's fairly samey. It won't make my top ten but it's in my top 20 right now, while Jordsjo and Wobbler will both be easily in my top ten.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I get what your saying and I feel the last track is the best as well. The only negatives for me are those traditional folk melodies that pop up once in a while, but yeah it's fairly samey. It won't make my top ten but it's in my top 20 right now, while Jordsjo and Wobbler will both be easily in my top ten.
    You are absolutely correct!!! Jordsjo and Wobbler both released masterpieces in 2017.
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    You are absolutely correct!!! Jordsjo and Wobbler both released masterpieces in 2017.
    as soon as they (JORDSJØ) will get a brain and issue either a CD (or at least a vinyl), I will maybe investigate their music. wall.gif

Coz, if I can still eventually stoop down to buying vinyls, but there is no freaking way I will do for cassettes !!! mynamesnake.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Jordsjo and Wobbler both released masterpieces in 2017.
    Also 2nd Jordsjo is retro prog heaven.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Also 2nd Jordsjo is retro prog heaven.
    It's nice, isn't it? I like it better than Agusa. More energetic, more youthful sounding.

Never heard of it until I saw it on Yves list on Facebook - but I'm liking what I hear in the camples
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    as soon as they (JORDSJØ) will get a brain and issue either a CD (or at least a vinyl), I will maybe investigate their music. wall.gif

Coz, if I can still eventually stoop down to buying vinyls, but there is no freaking way I will do for cassettes !!! mynamesnake.gif
    The CD is up for pre-order on the Bandcamp page:

https://jordsjo.bandcamp.com/

However it's expensive and shipping is high (over £6 to the UK). Said to be only nine left, though I'd hope this is just the allocation he has (it appears this is on an actual label). I’ll not be buying one from the Bandcamp anyway, as £20 is more than I’ll pay for a single CD except in unusual circumstances.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    The CD is up for pre-order on the Bandcamp page:

https://jordsjo.bandcamp.com/

However it's expensive and shipping is high (over £6 to the UK). Said to be only nine left, though I'd hope this is just the allocation he has (it appears this is on an actual label). I’ll not be buying one from the Bandcamp anyway, as £20 is more than I’ll pay for a single CD except in unusual circumstances.
    thanx

Yes, it is fairly expensive shipping, and it makes a difficult pill to swallow (as it did for Agusa's album from Laser's Edge)

Oddly enough, when I checked it out last week and two days ago, there was no CD (or vinyl, FTM) offer
    (and there isn't any for the first of second albums either)