Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Flies: The Story of Porcupine Tree by Rich Wilson - Mozo's Book Review Part 2

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Time Flies: The Story of Porcupine Tree by Rich Wilson - Mozo's Book Review Part 2

As promised,

Part II

The book delves into the mid-point of the band’s career, with Stupid Dreams and Lightbulb Sun, and the marketing in Europe and North American to achieve commercial success. Despite more accessible music with shorter songs, widespread commercial success alluded the band. The book also explains the meaning of the lyrics with interesting backstories throughout the text.

The book highlights the growing professionalism of the band during SD and LS with Steven’s stage presence evolving. It’s noteworthy for PE readers that Nearfest gets a brief nod. There is a theme of the band increasing their profile among their core fan base and the importance of record labels, media and management to facilitate this shift.

Chris Maitland’s dismissal from the band was cited a “personal” in a press release but it did coincide with Porcupine Tree signing with a major label. The book diplomatically discusses the conflict between the drummer and Stephen with source material cited to back up the statements.
    The book highlights, throughout the text, how Chris and Steven have differing personalities – one an extrovert (Chris) and the other an introvert (Steven, of course). It is worth noting that Maitland continued to record with Steven with Blackfield after the split. I’d recommend buying the book to learn more details on the split.

There is a mini-biography on Gavin Harrison, from his earliest beginnings with drumming during his teen years and his family’s appreciation for jazz music, to his countless work with diverse acts, including Iggy Pope and Renaissance. It sounded like Gavin’s style was better suited to the progressive side of Porcupine Tree and his role evolved from session musician to a full time member of the band.

The book covers the final era of the band, with a harder-edged metallic influence, including citing several metal acts the band admired and listened to while touring. This came into fruition when the band recorded in NYC with In Absentia. This shift was no doubt aided by Gavin’s diverse musical talents and his technical prowess. Cleary, In Absentia was Porcupine Tree’s breakthrough album, with increased sales and positive mainstream press attention but again without widespread commercial success.

The book, as noted earlier, covers all the band’s studio albums and Deadwing is part of the storytelling. The book discusses the guest musicians on Deadwing, including Adrian Belew. The background story behind Deadwing is also covered. There is a theme in the book about an upward trajectory in terms of the popularity of Porcupine Tree, with increasing concert attendance, positive media reports and starting to chart in Europe and America.

Just an interesting aside, Steve Rothery from Marillion is good friends with Steven Wilson. Marillion’s name pops up on occasion throughout the book. I also didn’t know Porcupine Tree backed-up Yes on a tour.

Fear of a Blank Planet was road tested so the recording process was must swifter. The inclusion of Lifeson and Fripp reflects the growing profile of the band. Alex was contacted after complimenting Steven in the press and Robert Fripp had an existing relationship. The themes of youth alienation and ubiquitous technology permeate the theme of FoaBP. This theme also mirrors a growing fan base among youth and was the best-selling album to date, thereby increasing the band’s profile. Both lyrics and album artwork were seamlessly intertwined with the subject of youth alienation. The author continues to write on recurring themes, record promotion, positive press coverage, more extensive world touring, the use of film and imagery, and the resulting growing fan base

The Incident coincided with the band’s new and substantial concert attendance into the thousands and an appearance of Royal Albert Hall in London and sold out shows at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. Another theme of the book in a recurring manner is the picture of Steven as the architect who allows for ensemble input into the final version of the music in fair open manner. The author continues to highlight the themes of the lyrics to the music, including critiques of organized religion and alienation. The lyrics reflect Wilson’s life experiences from childhood to adulthood. Wilson continues to present the music with video and artistic imagery. The theme of the ever expanding fan base is presented by the author who noted The Incident charted in a significant ways in both the UK and the USA.

I have ten pages left to finish the book but I’ll leave the review here and encourage everyone to buy the book. It’s an excellent and in-depth summary of the band’s achievements with an impressive array of source materials and quotes to back up the author’s central themes.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-29-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Chris Maitland’s dismissal from the band was cited a “personal” in a press release but it did coincide with Porcupine Tree signing with a major label. The book diplomatically discusses the conflict between the drummer and Stephen with source material cited to back up the statements...

The book highlights, throughout the text, how Chris and Steven have differing personalities – one an extrovert (Chris) and the other an introvert (Steven, of course). It is worth noting that Maitland continued to record with Steven with Blackfield after the split.
    OK, I guess I'll get the book to learn more. I can see how Maitland might have been more of a party animal and SW might have been worried where that would lead as the band moved toward the big leagues. But SW and CM seemed to have good musical chemistry (great vocal work) and Chris' playing always seemed very much in sync with the material they were coming up with -- even the harder stuff.

I also didn’t know Porcupine Tree backed-up Yes on a tour.
    I think that tour was a relatively short summer swing across the US. I recall Chris Squire being asked about PT and saying something to the effect of "Their music all seemed rather mopey to my ear." So he was apparently not a fan!

Thanks for the review. If the book sells well enough I wonder if SW will get asked about it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    OK, I guess I'll get the book to learn more. I can see how Maitland might have been more of a party animal and SW might have been worried where that would lead as the band moved toward the big leagues. But SW and CM seemed to have good musical chemistry (great vocal work) and Chris' playing always seemed very much in sync with the material they were coming up with -- even the harder stuff.
    Yeah, I think the book is worth the investment. I agree that CM and SW had a good chemistry and most fans appreciated CM's contributions.

I think that tour was a relatively short summer swing across the US. I recall Chris Squire being asked about PT and saying something to the effect of "Their music all seemed rather mopey to my ear." So he was apparently not a fan!

Thanks for the review. If the book sells well enough I wonder if SW will get asked about it.
    I wish Yes had more appreciation for PT. I think you're right that they were not really fans and didn't embrace the band.

Thanks! My pleasure doing the review!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-29-2017 at 06:24 PM.

I wish Yes had more appreciation for PT. I think you're right that they were not really fans and didn't embrace the band.
    I have a feeling Yes have their ear to the grapevine more than some might think so when a band like PT comes along and is stirring up that much of a buzz, word is sure to reach them (Billy Sherwood or Steve Hackett might have been the conduit.) Their management probably thought it would be a good way to give Yes a bit of indie cred, and also possibly help them reach a younger audience. But I get the sense at least Squire had never really heard their music before they started the tour.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Just curious, is anyone else reading this thread?

I have been reading it. Any chance this book will ever be released in a Kindle edition?

Yes!

I will be interested to read (planning to eventually get the book)what Wilson's thought process was in "retiring"? PT and working now with a shifting lineup of musicians. Also interested in the authors thoughts on possible future PT reformations, maybe ala Fripp style? Does he get into those topics?
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-30-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have been reading it. Any chance this book will ever be released in a Kindle edition?
    I'm not sure about a Kindle edition but it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yes!

I will be interested to read (planning to eventually get the book)what Wilson's thought process was in "retiring"? PT and working now with a shifting lineup of musicians. Also interested in the authors thoughts on possible future PT reformations, maybe ala Fripp style? Does he get into those topics?
    It's funny but I still haven't read the last 10 pages! So far, nothing on retiring but I'll read the rest today and if there is something I'll post something. I'm glad people are reading this thread.

Yeah, I think the book is worth the investment. I agree that CM and SW had a good chemistry and most fans appreciated CM's contributions.

Thanks! My pleasure doing the review!
    I remember SW saying that Yes treated them badly. It might be because SW also said some years before that everything Yes did after Going For The One was total crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I remember SW saying that Yes treated them badly. It might be because SW also said some years before that everything Yes did after Going For The One was total crap.
    I seem to remember an interview with Anderson where he was asked about PT tree, and he basically said he did not know much about them. I got the impression that he never saw one of their opening shows and basically the band paid little to no attention to them.

Personally I thought that tour was great. I saw it in South Bend Indiana. I was one of the only people in the crowd with a PT T-shirt on. When their show started, I think most of the crowd had no clue who they were, but by the end PT had seemed to win at least some of them over.

Yes. I'm trying to get a review copy....did you obtain through their site, or is there a North American publicist handling this? If so, I'd love it if you could PM the contact...

Cheers...and Happy New Year to you and yours!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Yes. I'm trying to get a review copy....did you obtain through their site, or is there a North American publicist handling this? If so, I'd love it if you could PM the contact...

Cheers...and Happy New Year to you and yours!
    Thanks John...Happy New you and yours too!

I bought the book from the publisher's website:

You can register your interest in the book at http://www.porcupinetreebook.com

I did finish the book. It covers the final The Incident Tour, which sounded long and arduous with the band in extremely close contact on the tour bus. There is not a specific reason for retiring the band but the author implies that Steven had taken to band to it's logical fruition and didn't want to repeat himself. The book also covers Steven's solo career, right up To The Bone.

I've read a lot of prog rock bios and some suffer from fanboyism. I get no sense of that here. The author is very respectful to Steven and Porcupine Tree.

I did finish the book. It covers the final The Incident Tour, which sounded long and arduous with the band in extremely close contact on the tour bus. There is not a specific reason for retiring the band but the author implies that Steven had taken to band to it's logical fruition and didn't want to repeat himself. .
    That has always been my impression from interviews too, but man......it sure seemed like they were right on the cusp of making it at the next level. On that final tour they were selling out most of their shows at the large theater level (2000 to 4000 seaters) in the U.S. It would have been interesting to see if putting out another album would have bumped them to small arena level. They seemed to have a lot of momentum going at the time that they called it quits. Oh well, I guess we will never know.......

Thanks for the feedback and positive review. It's appreciated!

I think the reason for the band splitting, as I hinted at in the final chapter, was a combination of disappointing final album, too long spent on the the road together, the massive ruck between some band members immediately prior to the Royal Albert Hall show and the fact that those members haven't spoken to each other since. Steven's off and running solo now and has no reason to return.

I do hope everyone enjoys the book - 7 years work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Wilson View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and positive review. It's appreciated!

I do hope everyone enjoys the book - 7 years work!!
    Your welcome! A pleasure to read and it shows that you spent 7 years to research and write a book of this caliber.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-31-2017 at 09:00 PM.

That has always been my impression from interviews too, but man......it sure seemed like they were right on the cusp of making it at the next level. On that final tour they were selling out most of their shows at the large theater level (2000 to 4000 seaters) in the U.S. It would have been interesting to see if putting out another album would have bumped them to small arena level. They seemed to have a lot of momentum going at the time that they called it quits. Oh well, I guess we will never know.......
    That was my feeling too. On the other hand, The Incident is my least fav PT album and was a letdown after FOABP. But they still kicked tail live.

Thanks John...Happy New you and yours too!

I bought the book from the publisher's website:

You can register your interest in the book at http://www.porcupinetreebook.com

I did finish the book. It covers the final The Incident Tour, which sounded long and arduous with the band in extremely close contact on the tour bus. There is not a specific reason for retiring the band but the author implies that Steven had taken to band to it's logical fruition and didn't want to repeat himself. The book also covers Steven's solo career, right up To The Bone.

I've read a lot of prog rock bios and some suffer from fanboyism. I get no sense of that here. The author is very respectful to Steven and Porcupine Tree.
    All good things hear!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I seem to remember an interview with Anderson where he was asked about PT tree, and he basically said he did not know much about them.
    Was Anderson with them on that tour? My recollection was that was during the Benoit period.

Was Anderson with them on that tour? My recollection was that was during the Benoit period.
    I could be remembering this wrong, but I think the tour was 2002. Anderson was still with Yes at that point.

I actually became a PT fan because of that tour. I was obviously going to see Yes, but I always liked checking out the opening bands too. I picked up In Absentia and played the hell out of it, became a rabid fan, and I wound up getting to see them the next year with Opeth. I remember SW mentioning that little things would go wrong with their equipment during the tour and he suspected that someone from Yes' camp was purposely sabotaging their stuff. Honestly, I kind of believe him. I don't know why Yes had it in for PT so much, I guess they felt upstaged?

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    I actually became a PT fan because of that tour. I was obviously going to see Yes, but I always liked checking out the opening bands too. I picked up In Absentia and played the hell out of it, became a rabid fan, and I wound up getting to see them the next year with Opeth. I remember SW mentioning that little things would go wrong with their equipment during the tour and he suspected that someone from Yes' camp was purposely sabotaging their stuff. Honestly, I kind of believe him. I don't know why Yes had it in for PT so much, I guess they felt upstaged?
    I guess that there were no lingering hard feelings on SW's part as he went on to remix the classic Yes albums.

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    I guess that there were no lingering hard feelings on SW's part as he went on to remix the classic Yes albums.
    There is a quote from Anderson in the book where he is generous about PT. Which was generous given Wilson had described Yes as "excrement" a few years before!

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    Tour incidents aside, I'm sure he was probably thrilled to remix albums that were influential to him, not to mention getting paid for it!

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Tour incidents aside, I'm sure he was probably thrilled to remix albums that were influential to him, not to mention getting paid for it!
    I'd be interesed to learn how Steven was identified by the majority of the big 70s progressive rock bands to produce/remix their albums.

Your welcome! A pleasure to read and it shows that you spent 7 years to research and write a book of this caliber.
    Echoed. I can't put it down at the moment