Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rec.music.progressive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Les Noches is one of my favorite Stravinsky pieces, but I would never compare it to Carmina Burana.. Orff was nowhere NEAR the composer Stravinsky was, IMO.
    No, he wasn't, but he might have been a better writer of classical pop music - which isn't the same thing at all. Or, to put it another way, Les Noches has a musical and timbral concept so strong that it's big enough for more than one piece, and will still work when watered down with repetition and flavored up with colorful orchestration.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes, I guess Magma has some similarities to Orff (never thought about it before) but I think they have even more similarities to Philip Glass and Terry Riley.
    And a big similarity in emotional effect to modal-period Coltrane, which is where I think Vander got much of his inspiration - and then, like Orff, changed the result into something quite different.

But as for Glass and Riley, I'm not sure they had gotten out of the NYC lofts at that point - early classical Minimalism was mostly an American movement, and its impact was only felt slowly in Europe. MDK came out in 1973, and while Eno and Bowie had heard Glass and Reich, I'm not sure they were known on the Continent at all; Louis Andriessen, often considered the pre-eminent European Minimalist, was just getting his Orkest de Volharding group started at the time. So James Brown and Electric Miles might be more likely influences for Magma.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-02-2018 at 02:18 AM.

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Actually, rec.music.progressive I think came later than alt.music.progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Yup. By the time I was on Usenet, a.m.p. was basically dead.

Do you know where they teach somebody how to write F.A.Q.s?

At FAQ U.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    For the most part, rock music really started in 1977, apart from bands like the Velvet Underground the the Stooges. Even the prog from the later 70s was better. Punk and post-punk is way better than the old-fogey classic rock that preceded it and progressive music informed by punk, jazz and new wave is better than the stuff more classically inclined, which was written on such a rudimentary level that it's kind of a joke to people who actually understand classical music.

There are exceptions, of course, but the transition from punk to new wave to alternative was probably the defining canon of important rock music.

Ah, nostalgia. This post of yours is so absurdly tendentious, it reminds me fondly of alt/rec.music.progressive. Thanks!
    Last edited by ssully; 01-02-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    To whom are you directing this? Did someone suggest otherwise?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    rmp was awesome. Ha ha!
    Chad

like JKL said, no one proposed anything different.

r.m.p. was largely created so more people would have access to topics on progressive music. the location of amp in the alt* hierarchy limited it's distribution on news servers. coupled with the often controversial nature of alt* groups, many services quit maintaining them and some cut off access altogether. moving the group to recreation would allow for a much bigger audience.

discussion for the creation of rmp began in late 1994 through early 1995. an RFD was formally proposed and sent to news.announce.newgroups on 02/20/1995 by James Chokey. voting closed on May 2nd and rmp passed 175:42 with six abstentions. followed by a period of fives days for any corrections, the unmoderated group rec.music.progressive was created on May 8th, 1995.

the charter for r.m.p. is mostly an adaption of the multipart FAQ for a.m.p.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    To whom are you directing this? Did someone suggest otherwise?
    No, I haven't read the whole thread, just making sure A.M.P. didn't get left out.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Ah, nostalgia. This post of yours is so absurdly tendentious, it reminds me fondly of alt/rec.music.progressive. Thanks!
    Sounds like an awesome place, then, where people had more sophisticated musical taste and understanding.