Thread: Galie - s/t - Mexican Prog from 1981

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Galie - s/t - Mexican Prog from 1981

Was just going through an old box of CDs and came across the self-titled album by Mexican band Galie, originally released in 1981 and released by Cheshire Records (distributed by Sol & Deneb). It's a very nice, pastoral prog album. A bit like Argentine band MIA, or like a gentle Tull with flute and piano. I'm guessing the CD is fairly rare - it came in an unusual cloth-bound "digi-sleeve" kind of thing with a booklet glued in. Seems hand assembled like some of the Cabesas de Cera CDs. It SEEMS to be limited to 1000 copies as in the booklet near the release info there's "- 1000" printed and something hand-written in front of it which I THINK is 770.

Only two copies on Discogs.

As I don't believe this is in print:

Never reissued officially on CD, but a stone-cold underground classic of Latin-American progressive. Arguably one of the top-25 from all of the South Americas.

IIRC, the once esteemed label Progressive Rock Worldwide actually tried to get the permits back in the 90s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have this. Mine is number 865/1,000. OK album. It reminds me a bit of Gotic. I haven't spun it in a while, I'll tee it up for a fresh spin.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Never reissued officially on CD, but a stone-cold underground classic of Latin-American progressive. Arguably one of the top-25 from all of the South Americas.

IIRC, the once esteemed label Progressive Rock Worldwide actually tried to get the permits back in the 90s.
    I just wrote a letter to Santa : "Dear Santa, I want the other 24. I just want them. No. I need them."

Now let's see if the Christmas spirit can work some magic...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

You mean what I have is an unofficial CD release? If so, interesting because of the unusual packaging, but it still wouldn't surprise me too much. I wish I could remember which vendor I bought this from. I suppose I could guess, but really can't remember for sure.

Never heard it before, but I like it. As you say, pastoral with a deft touch.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You mean what I have is an unofficial CD release?
    No, I looked it up and found that indeed there was a very lim. ed. 'more-or-less' official reissue sometime in the late 90s. I believe Greg W. used to carry it, and he also had the Tachika (or Poorhouse, I can't recall) one which I myself got from Doug Larson 15 years back.

I agree with Bill that there's a faint reminiscence of -some- of the Gotic (first) release, other parts remind me of the Basque band Magdalena. Someone should reissue the Galie in a 10,000-copies deluxe doggypack Jobson-version (14 CDs, two of which contain farts recorded on a cassette player in the loo at the back of a tequila bodega some distance from the address on which the Galie producer's grandma used to live before she was turned to stone by one of the cartels operating there).

It'll sell like crazy cupcake frenzy bonanza Mendoza.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This could become a who owns the 1000 CDs thread... I have no 290... I sort of like the compositions ....but playing it again after reading this thread reminds me of why I don't play it that often ... Despite its acoustic / pastoral ambience and many beautiful moments, something about it (particularly the title track guitar part), occasionally jars and just does not appeal.
    Last edited by prestonplatform; 12-28-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Apparently they have four albums! Believe it or not, the second sounds even older than the first, probably as the only keyboard used on it is a Fender-Rhodes. There’s definitely some synth on that first one. I haven’t heard later ones but those first two are sweet, and very easy on the ear. Recommended if you like your prog folky and laid-back.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I thought Galié had five releases and a boxset?
    Did I miss something? That’s what discogs has, but not everything is on Discogs.
    Any help in this would be awesome.

The box set (their first four albums) came out in 1994 and seems to be even rarer than the hand-made CD of the debut album. The fifth album came out in 2007 and (obviously) isn’t included in the box set.

I have only heard the first two. Here’s the second album, quite worthwhile to my ears (and as previously stated, it sounds significantly older than 1986):

Sounds very new age to me. Y no cantan en espanol?

But their music is very ambiance and good for the soul.
    Thanks for sharing.

I will continue to search for the boxset and the fifth cd. But I really need balance in my listening. One day the Muffins will take care that and the next day, Scope will. Galié is just what I need … peaceful and beautiful. In these times.

Recently listened to III. I have to say, this band is remarkably consistent. By eschewing synthesizers after the first album, they did not fall victim to the dreaded “80s disease” like many of their peers (see: Magma’s Musiqueros del silencio, which treads on similar musical territory but is absolutely bathed in DX7). Yes, it’s all very lightweight; if you’re looking for prog metal, psychedelic freakouts or intensely complex prog workouts, you won’t find any of that here. But for light folk-prog, it’s very well done. If you liked their first two, I see no reason why you would not also enjoy III.

I’m still looking for their Fifth cd ( Galié-V) …🧐
    Has anyone heard this disc?
    Last edited by Tbone; 07-29-2021 at 10:15 PM.