Thread: Time Flies: The Story of Porcupine Tree by Rich Wilson - Mozo's Book Review Part 1

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Time Flies: The Story of Porcupine Tree by Rich Wilson - Mozo's Book Review Part 1

I'm halfway through this new book so here's my part one book review (I'll return at a later date for part two):

For those interested in a well-research and detailed history of Porcupine Tree, this book will be of interest. There is obvious attention to the source material used to tell the story with plenty of quotes from band members with detailed references. There are lots of new information on anecdotes on the band and the people supporting their music.

From the earliest developments of Steven’s musical career we learn how he developed his craft with a steely determination. It’s interesting that Steven earliest interest in recording music showed a nascent sophistication with his later sound engineering accomplishments as a producer remixing a sizeable catalog of progressive rock classics.

The book traces the early development of Porcupine Tree as a sole project for Steven Wilson creating music on his own. The book tracks all of Porcupine Tree’s album releases; with interesting details on individual tracks and how they were recorded, the varying influences on the music, the artistic vision of each release (including details on album artwork), recording labels, details on media coverage and the nature of touring (there is also information on Steven’s side projects).

There is a careful reconstruction on how the actual band formed with brief biographies on individual band members and how their influenced Steven’s music recording vision to be an ensemble approach. As noted, there is plenty narrative on how the band developed an audience during various tours with background on what it was like to be on the road. Including the specific venues and the atmosphere of each gig.

To be continued...
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-27-2017 at 07:28 PM.

How much print is given to pre-Porcupine Tree bands Karma, Altamont, Pride Of Passion, and No Man Is An Island Except The Isle Of Man?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    How much print is given to pre-Porcupine Tree bands Karma, Altamont, Pride Of Passion, and No Man Is An Island Except The Isle Of Man?
    There is quite a bit of coverage on No Man in the first half, don't recall the others being mentioned yet.

OK, thanks.

I'm most interested to learn why Steven canned Chris Maitland.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'll let you know, I'm still at the mid-point in their career with Stupid Dreams and Lightbulb Sun, before Maitland's departure. I'm just wondering aloud that one of the reasons is Gavin is a superior musician. However the decision was made, it's abundantly clear that Steven had the vision, leadership, and direction for PT.

So there is a pretty detailed specific gig guide from day one of their history? That is always interesting.
    What about photographs of the band in concert etc? I know how Wilson is with photos---are there a lot of photos or is it mostly narrative? Since the first time I saw them live was at Nearfest 2001, I would especially be interested in pre 2001 photos.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    So there is a pretty detailed specific gig guide from day one of their history? That is always interesting.
    What about photographs of the band in concert etc? I know how Wilson is with photos---are there a lot of photos or is it mostly narrative? Since the first time I saw them live was at Nearfest 2001, I would especially be interested in pre 2001 photos.
    There are around 20-30 black and while and colour photos the the band in the middle of the book at various points in the band's career. There are pre-2001 photos. Interestingly, Nearfest is mentioned.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Interestingly, Nearfest is mentioned.
    Is Progscape mentioned, which they played in 1995 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Progscape mentioned, which they played in 1995 or so?
    I don't recall Progscape mentioned but there is, as noted, is a highly detailed listing and discussion on the several venues played in Europe and America throughout their career, including PT backing up bigger acts, like Dream Theater and Yes.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-28-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks for the notice on this book. Had no idea about it.
    The author is Rich Wilson, not Kansas guitarist Rich Williams.
    I ordered it but it said Pre-Order. We'll see.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The author is Rich Wilson, not Kansas guitarist Rich Williams.
    But is Rich Wilson the half-brother of Ed Wilson?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Installment Part 2 is coming this weekend.
    Thanks! Psyched to get this book.
    I had the same Maitland question. I thought he was great, especially live.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I know a couple of people who dealt with Porcupine Tree in a live environment back in the day, and Maitland had a bit of a reputation as being difficult to deal with. Everything I have heard has been 2nd hand, so take it with a grain of salt, but I have heard this from more than one source.

I also agree that from a musical perspective he was a very good fit with the band. Harrison is probably a more technically accomplished drummer, but Maitland was a perfect fit for the music they were doing at the time, and live, I always thought he knocked it out of the park.

^^^
    The drum sound on the Coma Divine live album is fantastic. He had a huge big drum sound, but I probably like Harrison overall as a drummer better. Both were great in the band.