Thread: Squonk Opera question

Squonk Opera question

On the eve of the Christmas ~

Somebody... please help me out here. I'm over at YouTube and watching a live performance of Squonk Opera in Pittsburgh. Performance Show is 'Cycle Sonic'. Now apparently they played the ProgDay weekend back in 1996. I honestly cannot recall ANYthing about their performance. Did they present some of their quirky and interesting music enhancers? Hahahaha certainly I wasn't that entranced by the ladies in Ars Nova that I didn't appreciate Squonk Opera???

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post

Somebody... please help me out here. I'm over at YouTube and watching a live performance of Squonk Opera in Pittsburgh. Performance Show is 'Cycle Sonic'. Now apparently they played the ProgDay weekend back in 1996. I honestly cannot recall ANYthing about their performance. Did they present some of their quirky and interesting music enhancers? Hahahaha certainly I wasn't that entranced by the ladies in Ars Nova that I didn't appreciate Squonk Opera???
    Holy time warp, Batman!

I was at that ProgDay -- the only one I've attended, in fact. I remember Squonk Opera pretty clearly (and Keiko Kumagai's thong! )

Anyways, I think their set consisted largely of their latest album at the time, Ha Ha Tali. I recall Jana Losey doing the manic intro to "A Good Clock Strikes Four-Thirty", introducing the band members. I also remember being mightily impressed by the rhythm section of Brian Berkheiser and Kevin Kornicki. Steve O'Hearn was doing some very interesting things on e-wind instruments, and the whole thing had a bit of a surreal Cirque Du Soleil vibe, but without the theatrical production values. They were actually one of the highlights of the weekend for me just because they were so NOT a symph prog band. But they still had creativity and musicianship in spades.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Hi Chris, I have the Squonk Opera Progday performance on DVD, I transferred it from a VHS I bought from Peter Renfro. Yes, they did do the crazy stuff on the Storybook stage.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Still doing wacky stuff.

That performance with the giant hands is playing for free in DC on September 15:

https://cms.kennedy-center.org/festivals/reach/schedule

I can't go because I had already booked a baseball game with my dad....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I was once acquainted with this old Broadway theater queen who was obsessed with Bigsmørgåsbördwünderwerk, which he claims is one of the best Broadway shows he has ever seen. And yes, they actually did perform that on Broadway! That one and Howandever are the only ones I own. I regrettably have never seen them live, and that’s a big shame. As good as their albums are, apparently I’m missing a whole other dimension by not seeing their crazy visuals. I only have some video clips and the BSWW booklet to go by.

There seems to be a different edition of the BSWW CD with an alternate cover (featuring a winged egg or something on the front). My version has the band name in big letters with the group peering through on the front. What’s up with that?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ...apparently I’m missing a whole other dimension by not seeing their crazy visuals.
    I would say this is definitely the case! I have most of their CDs and have seen them live a half dozen times. The live shows are wonderful to behold.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).