Thread: John Kekman's Best Releases of 2017

John Kelman's Best Releases of 2017

And so, for the first time since 2014, a "best of"...but with a difference. Since I normally only include titles I've reviewed and only managed 29 CD/box set pieces in 2017, I've only selected 10 jazz titles and 5 "beyond" releases.

However...

I follow those short lists with longer lists (again, jazz & beyond) of albums I've loved from this year and wished I'd reviewed. If you aren't in the first group, check the second (some of you are on albums in both!)!

Hope y'all enjoy: Here's the list...

Thanks so much for your readership...and...Happy Holidays and best wishes for a happy, healthy 2018 to all at PE!

Last edited by jkelman; 12-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Good old John Kekman!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Good old John Kekman!
    Argh. Fixed, with thanks....
    John Kelman

John, Thank you for your intellectual contributions to PE. Several of your top 10 sound really intriguing and I would have never heard of them otherwise.

Happy holidays!

Kekman's Kamples.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Thanks John for your Best of 2017 list (and for your reviews throughout the year). Happy Holidays & Happy New Year to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    Thanks John for your Best of 2017 list (and for your reviews throughout the year). Happy Holidays & Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Thanks, man; back at ya!
    John Kelman

I would've never taken you for a Wilco fan.

Being There is awesome.

Jon Neudorf
    Looking forward to hearing the Crosby and Buckingham. Thanks for the list. Always nice reading other reviewer's recs.
    Merry Christmas!

Thanks for sharing. I love reading these kinds of lists. It also reminded me I still haven't picked up the Frisell/Morgan disc.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I would've never taken you for a Wilco fan.

Being There is awesome.
    I think most folks would be surprised at how broad my tastes are

Even this best of list only scratches the surface. I'm just a music junkie, who tends to find more positive than negative. Heck, the one thing I never thought I'd find my way to is opera/classical vocals (countertenors, in particular), but after over three years of my wife's late-blooming addiction to that musical sphere, I am starting to find my way in. Still not a big fan of opera as a whole, but the arias - especially from the baroque era where my wife lives most often - are stunning. And having now seen countertenors like Andreas Scholl live, I'm really starting to feel it.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Looking forward to hearing the Crosby and Buckingham. Thanks for the list. Always nice reading other reviewer's recs.
    Merry Christmas!
    And to you! The Crosby is really spectacular, possibly his best since his resurgence of releases with Croz ....the Buckingham/McVie is a bit of a grower. But over time it's become a real fave...I recommend it equally highly.
    John Kelman

Excellent lists John! Thank you for taking the time and energy to put these together.

Did you hear Thundercat's "Drunk" album this year? I have a feeling it might have made your "otherwise" list if you had - it's quite magical.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Excellent lists John! Thank you for taking the time and energy to put these together.

Did you hear Thundercat's "Drunk" album this year? I have a feeling it might have made your "otherwise" list if you had - it's quite magical.
    No, I'm afraid I didn't...Mike...but on your say-so, I most certainly will!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!
    John Kelman

Following your review of The Stone House by Wingfield, Reuter et al, I took the plunge and got the CD. One of my best buys this year. Keep up the great work.

Jon Neudorf
    I forgot about the Stonehouse when compiling my best of list.
    Highly recommended.