Thread: Open letter from Andy Tillison re: further change in The Tangent camp

Open letter from Andy Tillison re: further change in The Tangent camp

This was posted today on the official Tangent facebook page. I didn't see it here on PE, hopefully it's not a repost. I'm a big fan of Andy & co. so I like to keep everyone informed!

As observant followers of this list might have noticed, we haven't been mentioning Jonathan Barrett recently. Truth be told Jonathan and I haven't worked together on the project now since last year, and he and I agreed that it wasn't working. Partially out of embarrassment, partially out of being a bit of a ditherer I haven't declared this. The total collapse of the Tangent band last year wasn't exactly fun, and with Jonathan departing I have to admit feeling nervous about declaring this because I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just some kind of prat that no-one can work with.

Fact is that Jonathan isn't really all that fired up about "Le Sacre" think his relationship with it was comparable to Rick Wakeman's view of "Tales". I've dragged J through an awful lot of stuff that isn't really his bag over the years - his major focus was never "Prog Rock" and I think a lot of this album was just wrong for him. By Christmas it was just apparent that he wasn't enjoying himself a lot and we talked it out and we decided that I should carry on without him. Jonathan is one of the finest musicians I ever had the pleasure of working with. tasteful, expressive, liquid - oozing with character and class. As a writer he excels and I can only hope that one day an album of his own material will see the light of day. He's a hilarious, sharp witted guy with a real social conscience and an admirable attitude to the craziness of modern Britain.

The current state of affairs leaves me in a situation with a lot of hard feelings against me by a fair few people which I just have to accept and cope with. After all, in the past 2 years, other than Theo, everyone I've worked with over that time is no longer in the project, through their own, or my choice. I have to be single minded and cold hearted sometimes with the music. If this makes me that prat, well I just have to admit guilt and press on. But I have a definite view of what the Tangent's music is and needs to be. I am happy to go off topic from time to time - but on this album I have rigorous inflexible and maybe blinkered views about how it's gonna be. During last year I began to realise I wasn't going to be able to get my way with it unless I took drastic action.

The album that I have wanted to make for so long is now in the final stages of recording and I can tell you now that the bass guitarist position has been filled. Most of the bass parts have been completed and performed by an excellent world class player who is a close friend of one of the current lineup members. This person will completely take over the bass recordings and replace all work done by Jonathan and myself. For contractual reasons we can't formally declare his involvement at this time but all will be made clear within the next month or so. I expect that there will be some speculation and fun and games....

"Le Sacre" is for me THE ONE. It's what nearly 40 years as a composer has led up to. For some it will represent a load of pointless noodling and pretentious codswallop. I think at least a couple of former members of The Tangent may see it that way. In order to get what I really want said said, I've had to be hard, lose friends, disappoint people, confuse others and let some down. For this I have nothing but regret and have (and still do) offered my apologies. In 2006 The Tangent cost me my home, my relationship, my life savings and my retirement. "Not As Good As The Book" chronicles this quite exhaustively. However, that cost was actually still "worth it" and its unlikely that anything as minor by comparison as a band row is likely to stop me from doing this in the bull headed way I do.

So. Andy Tillison. Bull headed, single minded, hard nosed bastard. Maybe that's who I always was after all. In the end that doesn't really matter. In the age of the net every coffee machine has a glowing 5 star review and a forum full of hate filled coffee lovers. Every prog band in the world considers itself "critically acclaimed" yet there's a starting grid of people ready to destroy such conceited ideas at the first hurdle. And so it will be for "Le Sacre". We hyped it to get your interest, and when it arrives we will pay the price for the hype. After it's all done, I will have people who hate me forever, and maybe I will still have friends too.

Very best to both groups
    Andy
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If you read PE, Andy, I'm still your friend.

As a fan, I'm excited to hear the fruit of your ever-interrupted vision, and as someone who became your friend (& Sally's) in Quebec, I will always wish you success.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'm glad the project is still going forward. On paper, at least, this seems like the best thing from the tangent.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tillison View Post
    In the age of the net every coffee machine has a glowing 5 star review and a forum full of hate filled coffee lovers. Every prog band in the world considers itself "critically acclaimed" yet there's a starting grid of people ready to destroy such conceited ideas at the first hurdle. And so it will be for "Le Sacre". We hyped it to get your interest, and when it arrives we will pay the price for the hype.
    Well, he understands how PE and the internet works anyway.

I gotta give it to him. He is devoted to his art and I admire that. Brutally honest essay by Andy, but sounds like he wanted to get alot off of his chest. Looking forward to the new album and I too hope it isn't "pretentious codswallop".

This is a band you need a scorecard to follow with all the member changes. At this point isn't it just a Andy Tillison project and not actually a real band. Wasn't it kind of like that from the start? I like the Tangent, but kind of gave up on them after album 4, really you could say I just lost track of them. How do the next two albums compare?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Tangent is a band where I don't hold my breath for each release, I guess because it's too had to know when one might be due - did Andy part ways with that brilliant, young guitarist who's name I can't remember?

Anyway, I still look forward to the next release, whenever it may be, and need to catch up on some of the previous ones in the meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    did Andy part ways with that brilliant, young guitarist who's name I can't remember?
    Yeah, Luke Machin (sp?) who was incredible in Quebec under less than perfect circumstances. He has a band called Maschine now iirc.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

It must be frustrating to be a musician. You have my sympathy and my support, Andy! I look forward to the new album and what you have created out of all the chaos.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I do admire Andy's honesty, and really like the guy too. I hope the music is inspiring and uplifting and draws in all who have enjoyed The Tangent and more, but I think it's a cryng shame that he could not have kept the last band together, as the injection of youth gave them a new edge in an increasingly aged band demographic, and Luke was such an amazing talent too. Good luck with it all though Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yeah, Luke Machin (sp?) who was incredible in Quebec under less than perfect circumstances. He has a band called Maschine now iirc.
    I new Maschin had his own band but didn't realize he was no longer involved with The Tangent. Are there any recordings with him with The Tangent?

Andy, what the Geezer said in the first reply. I'm on your side.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I new Maschin had his own band but didn't realize he was no longer involved with The Tangent. Are there any recordings with him with The Tangent?
    To my knowledge, the studio album COMM and the bootleg live DVD London Or Paris, Berlin Or Southend On Sea are the only recordings with Luke Machin.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

There is also "Going Off On Two"

^ Thanks, I couldn't remember if he was on this and COMM - I'm way behind in absorbing The Tangent, so to me it will be as if Luke is still in the band.

It will be interesting to hear the new one considering Andy feels it is the ONE. The fact he's willing to have casualties along the way just to get this the way he wants is saying something. I'm a huge Tillison fan by the way.
    I'm not sure how much the virtuoso guitarist will be missed, at least by me. Hey it would have been great if he stayed but for The Tangent music is about the array of keyboards and Andy's distinct voice. In a live setting who doesn't love a great guitarist though.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Hey, on the Tangent site it says people can still preorder the Southend DVD by donating the "proscribed" amount. But how much is that amount, and where are you supposed to do that? Just by clicking on the Donate button at the bottom of the page? Will that allow you to give your address for shipping the DVD and will they know that you want the DVD? It's just not clear from the info provided.

Also, wondering if people here have pre-pre-ordered Le Sacre. I'd like to, but I have a feeling I'll wait and purchase it at the regular price.

Yeah, I pre-pre-ordered the new one. It's a privilege to be able to support Andy's vision. The demos are intriguing but I'm only listening to them once each. I don't wish to make these versions the definitive ones to my ears.

I'd imagine that every musician reading this thread will recognize the conflict of remaining true to your art while trying to maintain your bandmates as friends. And I agree that Andy's approach to the current recording lineup is the only answer.

Most of the bass parts have been completed and performed by an excellent world class player who is a close friend of one of the current lineup members. This person will completely take over the bass recordings and replace all work done by Jonathan and myself. For contractual reasons we can't formally declare his involvement at this time but all will be made clear within the next month or so. I expect that there will be some speculation and fun and games....

Nick Beggs perhaps?

Most of the bass parts have been completed and performed by an excellent world class player who is a close friend of one of the current lineup members. This person will completely take over the bass recordings and replace all work done by Jonathan and myself. For contractual reasons we can't formally declare his involvement at this time but all will be made clear within the next month or so. I expect that there will be some speculation and fun and games....

Nick Beggs perhaps?
    You have mastered the behavior of Pavlov's Dog, Jed (& not the band!).

The only Tangent I have is Not as Good as the Book but I'm excited for this new release.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You gotta love a musician of Andy's caliber who wears his prog on his sleeve and is so devoted to his craft. I've said this many times before on this forum, Tillison is IMO one of the best keyboard players in the genre as well as an amazing composer. I hope he eventually forms a band where the musicians equally share his passion and are in it for the long(er) haul. If I could play an instrument worth a spit I'd be sending him my resume.

Anxiously waiting for the new one.

Hey, on the Tangent site it says people can still preorder the Southend DVD by donating the "proscribed" amount. But how much is that amount, and where are you supposed to do that?
    I'd say that if they're telling you to donate the "proscribed" amount, they're just baiting you.