Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

I saw Sleepytime gorilla Museum three or four times in Minneapolis. They were always amazing and the first time I saw them they were already doing the first two songs from of Natural History. The drummer who took over for Dave Shamrock wore a donkey mask the whole time. I'm torn between which is better the first album or the 2nd album leaning more towards the second. But I had listen to Nils and Dan since the idiot flesh days, when I actually sent a bank check to them in 1995. One of the people that either worked with the band or did their mail order sent me a list of the history of idiot flesh at that time.
    If you haven't done so, I would highly recommend checking out idiot flesh "fancy" album. Back in the 90s I was a huge mr. Bungle fan and they kind of reminded me of mr. Bungle at first with idiot flesh but now 22 years later I realize how different they are.

While this album doesn't quite hit the heights of GAAC and ONH for me, it's still a terrific listen and scratches certain itches in ways that no other album does in my collection. Perhaps the most amazing is the fact that in a live setting the material was even better, but then again SGM always just killed live.

In addition to the aforementioned Idiot Flesh, be sure to check out the pre-Idiot Flesh group Acid Rain...

The way I related to them and their albums was a little unusual, because I'm a long-time fan (20+ years), and I've seen them live dozens of times, have opened for them with my band, know them well enough personally to be a sort of long-distance friend, and so forth. So my main experience of them was as a live act - at which they were one of the best I've ever seen - and not through their records. Indeed, I found the records only a pale shadow of the monstrosity they were on stage.

With that said, I found this one a bit disappointing after of Natural History, which I consider their only album to approach the excellence of their live show. Their strongest songs, in my opinion, were the ones for which Nils would come in with a basic song skeleton of vocals, chords, and maybe some riffs; then the whole band would create the finished version through an extended process of rehearsal and rewriting. But by the time they wrote In Glorious Times, they had incompatible work schedules, long driving distances, and other factors that precluded the kind of extensive working-through-it they had once done, and I thought that their material suffered for it. In addition, they did it under a certain amount of time pressure, so some of the songs were odds-and-ends thrown in to fill it out: a tune of Matthias's dating from his days in college, one written by Nils alone without the full band's input, ones by Michael that tried to fit the SGM style and didn't quite do so, and more. And there's only one tune of Carla's, although it's a great one. That said, it's still a good album. But it isn't a great album, and of Natural History was.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    you did not attend RIO 2010 ?
    I was planning to but family stuff got in the way so my first was 2011, haven't missed one since.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    If you haven't done so, I would highly recommend checking out idiot flesh "fancy" album. Back in the 90s I was a huge mr. Bungle fan and they kind of reminded me of mr. Bungle at first with idiot flesh but now 22 years later I realize how different they are.
    Been looking for it for a while, currently at $140 on Discogs.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This one never clicked with me (except for the exquisite "Salt Crown".)
    The Prog Corner

A very different but likeminded band:

One of the few bands I can tolerate occasional death growls.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A very different but likeminded band:
    Aw yeah...love Chrome Hoof. Hope to see them someday, somehow...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

great album by a great band. The first two by them are still my favorites but this is still a very strong album with quite a few outstanding tracks.
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Masque View Post
    great album by a great band. The first two by them are still my favorites but this is still a very strong album with quite a few outstanding tracks.
    Jesus. I guess I'm going to be the first to pose the question;

Where did you go for six years, Lynnette?

Sincerely wishing all the best,
    Richard.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Jesus. I guess I'm going to be the first to pose the question;

Where did you go for six years, Lynnette?

Sincerely wishing all the best,
    Richard.
    HI Richard
    Sorry, yeah I dropped off of PE for a while. I work as a full time artist plus I'm in two bands. This leaves very little in the way of free time for me, and I dropped off some things online . However, I thought I'd pop by again as it has been too long. Sorry!
    Music
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Hi Lynnette!
    Ian

HI!

(sorry, not trying to derail this thread. SGM were one of my favorite bands when they were active).
    Music
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

SGM are one of those bands that I liked their live shows a lot better than their albums. This album was hit and miss for me. Some of it I really liked and some I did not care for that much.

It's unfair for this beautiful piece of music to have to be the follow-up to one of the greatest records of all time. Everything conspired with Of Natural History for a unique masterpiece to appear. Not just musically speaking, but on the emotional level. It's the urgency, the inevitability of the message which makes everything work.

Terrible album by a terrible band. I hate cookie monster vocals and there are no melodies anywhere. They need to listen to Yes and Genesis to learn how to write proper music. They also released this on CD....only real bands release music on vinyl and 1/4" tape.

I love this band as much or more than anybody here. My vote for one of the best USA bands from the past 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Terrible album by a terrible band. I hate cookie monster vocals and there are no melodies anywhere. They need to listen to Yes and Genesis to learn how to write proper music. They also released this on CD....only real bands release music on vinyl and 1/4" tape.
    You're an asshole.

You're an asshole.
    So are you.

Maybe adding fuel to the fire: I remember them telling me that they got many requests for vinyl from hipsters at the merch table, who were put out that they had none.

And for a number of years, the acquainted act Kayo Dot had Hubardo - which I consider their strongest release - available only on vinyl (or as a download). It may not have been till the vinyl pressing sold out that Toby (KD's bandleader) put it out on CD.

@Frankie
    Regards,

Duncan

Funny. I just found out that Of Natural History has been reissued on vinyl and made arrangements to get one. Am I a freaking hipster or just an idiot who doesn't understand his dismal financial situation?

This ape they have singing could get a lesson or two from Jon Anderson. Along with this wildly overrated Zappa fellow, whose voice is even worse than his not-melodic guitar playing. Of course he can be excused for his 60's efforts: melody was invented by Howe and Hackett in the 70's, so how could he have known?

Agreed!

I love this band as much or more than anybody here. My vote for one of the best USA bands from the past 15 years or so.
    Agreed!
    Ian