Thread: Happy Birthday Keith Richards

Happy Birthday Keith Richards

74 today. It's amazing Keith is having yet another birthday. If he can make it to 74, Geezer can make it to 110 (at least)

The famous, iconic clip of him whacking a stage invader with his guitar at Hampton Coliseum is now 36 years ago, as that was on his birthday too.

with Keith it's always been quality over quantity. HB!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Doesn't look a day over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The famous, iconic clip of him whacking a stage invader with his guitar at Hampton Coliseum is now 36 years ago, as that was on his birthday too.
    The most amazing thing about that was how aloof Keith seems during the whole thing. You see him pull the guitar off of himself, then as the guy charges him, he sort of uses it as a shield/battering ram, then when the guy disappears, he puts the guitar back on and keeps on playing. Makes you wonder if that sort of stuff happened all the time or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Doesn't look a day over 100.
    David Letterman once had a top ten list of rejected Rolling Stones tour names (they were getting ready to go on tour again at the time). One of the entries was: "The Rolling Stones! LIVE! Plus, Keith Richards!"

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    with Keith it's always been quality over quantity. HB!
    Keith's given at least 8 or 9 of the greatest song intros ever. And he's also managed to figure out how to continuously recycle the same guitar lick again and again. The thing is, he's able to come up with so many variations on that one lick, that you almost don't notice it's the same lick, until you actually sit down and start learning to play Brown Sugar, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Start Me Up, etc, that you realize "Wait a minute, that's almost exactly what he played on the other song.

And he made the 70's model Telecaster Custom cool!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If MY hands looked like this, I wouldn't even be able to tune a guitar let alone PLAY IT !
    G.A.S -aholic

Happy Birthday Keith, you even outlived Lemmy

Keef makes a beverage selection.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Keef!!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    If MY hands looked like this, I wouldn't even be able to tune a guitar let alone PLAY IT !
    A. Who says he tunes his own guitars?

B. His PLAYING is limited to one or two chords these days.

There's actually a news reel clip from the 70's where an interviewer points that there were betting pools in various places about who the next dead rock star would be, and apparently, Keith and Lou Reed were the odds on favorites at the time.

Simply because it's the nearest thread to hand, I've been playing that 90s live album No Security. When I was collecting 'Stones CDs cheaply about ten years ago, I didn't bother with it- looked like just another late-period stadium live album with a truly terrible cover.

I found it a little later for the grand sum of 50p, thought I might as well give it a go and playing it again now it's actually not bad at all- they were still playing well at this stage, and there's a good live atmosphere on a few tracks (like the 90s song 'Saint Of Me'). The track selection is the kind of thing which would make more sense as a 'fan club' kind of release, though- the focus was on songs which hadn't been on live albums before, so it's somewhat piecemeal.

Based on what I've heard, IMHO decline set in after the Forty Licks tour, the set-lists became stagnant and the playing getting increasingly ragged, although it was good to have Mick Taylor back throughout the 50th anniversary.

That's a ringing endorsement alright.

Do you offer anything here other than sarcasm and crabbiness? That's certainly all you've done in this thread alone.

2006 was when Keith fell from the tree and it seemed after the real stagnation set in. Before that the set lists were pretty flexible. They were playing some smaller venues now and then - Woody said those shows were just insane.

In regards to the No Security album, the eight minute version of "Out of Control" is something special. Lots of dynamics - I love it when they drop back down to just a pulse and there's that sax in the background. Too often Mick is too busy running around and working the crowd so his vox suffer. This track he's nailing it to the wall.

From the Vault: Tokyo Dome 1990 is a good one. Not the most varied set list but it's Bill's last show and sonofabitch, they did "2000 Light Years From Home"!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^Thanks for the reply.

I'll give the Tokyo Dome a go one day. I do have Flashpoint from that last tour with Wyman and don't like it. That is too slick...a lot of digital keyboard sounds on there. I keep it for the studio 'Highwire' which is a good track. (The other studio one 'Sex Drive' is terrible, like Jagger solo at his worst.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Do you offer anything here other than sarcasm and crabbiness? That's certainly all you've done in this thread alone.
    Mr. rc did that in my Before The End thread too. he's just cynical.

If you're observant, you may notice that a lot of elderly folks have hands like that. It's pretty common.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    A testament to Tanna leaves

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Happy Birthday Keith, you even outlived Lemmy

Keef makes a beverage selection.jpg
    that's because Richards is an undead
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    2006 was when Keith fell from the tree and it seemed after the real stagnation set in. Before that the set lists were pretty flexible. They were playing some smaller venues now and then - Woody said those shows were just insane.

In regards to the No Security album, the eight minute version of "Out of Control" is something special. Lots of dynamics - I love it when they drop back down to just a pulse and there's that sax in the background. Too often Mick is too busy running around and working the crowd so his vox suffer. This track he's nailing it to the wall.

From the Vault: Tokyo Dome 1990 is a good one. Not the most varied set list but it's Bill's last show and sonofabitch, they did "2000 Light Years From Home"!
    wtf was he doing in a tree?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"