Thread: Secret Chiefs 3 question

Secret Chiefs 3 question

I listened recently to Book of Souls: Folio A and loved it. I think it's their most recent. Big discography with side projects etc, so I am a bit confused on how to proceed with it. Any suggestions?

I think Perichoresis is their last full album. Book of Horizons would be where I'd go to next.

Every album has something good to offer, but...

If you like the persian/indian/middle-eastern/african/haitian mish-mosh, Book M is a personal favorite. Perichoresis is much more recent and focused (and I play on it for like 45 seconds). Also highly recommend Xaphan which is SC3 reworkings of John Zorn's Masada material.

If you like a mix of the above with metal/horror/western/surf/post rock/etc. (like on Folio A) then Book of Horizons is also a huge fan favorite. Also Satellite Supersonic.

If you like Disco Volante-era Mr. Bungle madness, I recommend the very first album (First Grand Constitution and Bylaws).

Coming down the pike:

Another full Zorn album (completed and to be released soon)
    Book of Souls: Folio B
    Holy Vehm
    ?????....despite being in the band ~7 years I'm never quite sure what Trey is up to next....

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Every album has something good to offer, but...

If you like the persian/indian/middle-eastern/african/haitian mish-mosh, Book M is a personal favorite. Perichoresis is much more recent and focused (and I play on it for like 45 seconds). Also highly recommend Xaphan which is SC3 reworkings of John Zorn's Masada material.

If you like a mix of the above with metal/horror/western/surf/post rock/etc. (like on Folio A) then Book of Horizons is also a huge fan favorite. Also Satellite Supersonic.

If you like Disco Volante-era Mr. Bungle madness, I recommend the very first album (First Grand Constitution and Bylaws).

Coming down the pike:

Another full Zorn album (completed and to be released soon)
    Book of Souls: Folio B
    Holy Vehm
    ?????....despite being in the band ~7 years I'm never quite sure what Trey is up to next....

- Matt
    Thank you very much, very enlightening. It looks like Book of Horizons is my next step.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great to hear Matt.

Personal reco's

Book M
    Book Of Horizons
    Xaphan
    Perichoresis
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My starting point was Hurqalya (Second Grand Constitution And Bylaws)
    I still think its a great place to start that one or Book Of Horizons
    I love this "band" so much
    Trey is a genius

For me it helped to identity every subproject/musical style under the SC3 banner , my favourite being the middle eastern and film music tracks . I prefer the concerts to the records where they switch and mix more the different styles. The concert DVD is great, (forgot the title) I discovered them a couple of years ago in concert and was blown away.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    For me it helped to identity every subproject/musical style under the SC3 banner , my favourite being the middle eastern and film music tracks . I prefer the concerts to the records where they switch and mix more the different styles. The concert DVD is great, (forgot the title) I discovered them a couple of years ago in concert and was blown away.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Live At The Great American Music Hall

It is superb, highly recommended.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If you need some holiday cheer here's a gift for ya -

https://secretchiefsthree.bandcamp.c...ng-santa-claus