Thread: Dreadnaught performs Hard Chargin' in its entirety-Portsmouth NH, Dec. 23rd!!

Dreadnaught performs Hard Chargin' in its entirety-Portsmouth NH, Dec. 23rd!!

An early Christmas present for you New England proggers...and Northerners who would like to make the trek....!

Dreadnaught will be performing their latest (and greatest?) release Hard Chargin' in its entirety on Saturday, December 23rd at 3S Artspace in Portsmouth NH, located at 319 Vaughan St. Complete details are available at https://www.dreadnaughtrock.com/events
    Show will begin at 8PM with opening acts Watts and The Screen.
    Due to the complex nature of performing Hard Chargin' live, the Dread boys will be joined by guest musicians Duncan Watts ("keys, computers, vox") and Mac Ritchey ("various and sundries").

Here are some more show details and a little note from bassist Bob Lord:

Dreadnaught --- Hard Chargin' In Its Entirety
    with WATTS & The Screen
    Saturday, December 23
    Doors at 7pm / Show at 8pm
    $10 Members / $13 ADV / $15 DOS
    All ages / Partially Seated

---"Over the course of over 21 years, half a dozen albums, and more metric shifts than you can shake a stick at, the ever-evolving DREADNAUGHT has carved out a musical niche unlike any other. This is because, very simply, we're totally and utterly deranged.

In May of 2013, the perpetually idiosyncratic DREADNAUGHT – bassist BOB LORD (the guy writing this), drummer RICK HABIB , and guitarist JUSTIN WALTON – finally released the first studio recordings from our HARD CHARGIN' project. It's been a while (6 years to be precise) but in that time we continued to perform, compose, and create without pause, in the words that the late great JOHN UPDIKE uttered about us, “the sound of terror.” Utterly uncompromising multi-movement prog-rock opuses, gritty bar-band Americana, experimental electronic music, even music for orchestra... we’ve done just about everything a band can do, and stuck to our guns the whole way.

Our first 10 years were wild ones, morphing from a too-out-there-to-be-enjoyable group of young musicians at the University of New Hampshire in 1996 into an avant-rock battering ram with release of the award-winning, genre-nuking The American Standard in 2001. When I found myself overdubbing flamenco-style clapping onto a track with dance-style drum loops, nylon-string guitar, bass (intentionally, of course) distorted so badly that the actual notes were hard to hear, keyboards that sounded like KERRY MINNEAR busted something in his amp in a satin-laden haze and kept playing, all presented like a 1957-era doo-wop group sucked into 2057 via a heretofore unknown wormhole… that’s when I knew it was magic.

Our subsequent releases were no more normal and just as logically bizarre. From the fully instrumental, fusioned-up Americana- and electronic-inspired Musica En Flagrante to the spastic, unadorned trio-only musical explosions of Live At Mojo to the more vocally-based yet no less outlandish new material on the double-disc semi-retrospective hybrid High heat & Chin Music, we’ve explored every nook and cranny that our collective hearts desired.

In between were some unusual and enjoyable gigs, like a commissioned cover of THE WHO’s “Going Mobile” for an advertising campaign, some music for independent films, a recording of a newly-arranged and orchestrated version of a track from The American Standard by the MORAVIAN PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA, and the theme song for New Hampshire Public Radio's flagship program The Exchange. If nothing else, we know how to have our cake and eat it too.

Since 2005, DREADNAUGHT has been the house band for The Music Hall/New Hampshire Public radio series Writers On A New England Stage, and we've composed and arranged music for authors such as DAN BROWN (who sat in on piano with us for a ripping rendition of “Birthday” by the BEATLES), the aforementioned John Updike, STEPHEN KING, MADELEINE ALBRIGHT, KEN BURNS, ALAN ALDA, E.L DOCTOROW, ELMORE LEONARD, BARBARA WALTERS, and NEIL GAIMAN, among others. The program is heard by hundreds of thousands of listeners across New England and has earned us a reputation as a fun, nice, audience-friendly musical group… and how we’ve pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes is way, way beyond me.

Sure, we’ve done our own things over the years too, but the gravitational pull of this project simply will not let us out of its orbit. We've played in more than half the states of the union and along the way have been privileged to share the stage with artists (and deep band influences) like JOHN ENTWISTLE, TONY LEVIN, NRBQ, and a ton of others. Our records have won awards and we've won acclaim, but nothing interests us as much as just doing what we love to do: make music that confounds every single expectation one could possibly have.

Really – what is the point of doing what has already been done? We'll leave that to the other folks. Duck for cover... head for the hills... here comes DREADNAUGHT." -------

SO---not much I can add to that....!!

But, I have said it before and will say again, if you have never had the pleasure of experiencing a Dreadnaught live show, if you make the effort to see them you will not be disappointed. In fact, I daresay you will be rewarded many times over, and it just might change your life. It certainly changed mine, and continues to do so.

And this show in particular is absolutely not to be missed (says the guy in Georgia who, ironically, will be missing it). The chance to see Dreadnaught play this incredible album all the way through, will be a thrill-packed, hilarious, virtuosic performance. It personally kills me to miss it!

Hard Chargin' has been receiving uniformly rave reviews since its release in July (check the web....ok, there might be a clunker or two, but those are generally along the lines of "I have no fucking idea what these guys are doing".).

Also, a review of Hard Chargin' (and the EPs "Have A Drink With Dreadnaught" and Gettin' Tight With Dreadnaught") will appear in the upcoming review of Progression magazine. We know you all support John and his magazine, so we're sure you'll see them!

if you aren't familiar with the band and your curiosity is piqued, please visit the band's website, specifically https://www.redfezrecords.com/catalog
    --here you can listen to a sample track from HC, as well as the two EPs (along with a track from Bob and Rick's stompin' side project Order Of Thieves, and a track from Justin Walton's excellent solo album "Blood From A Stone").

CDs from the band's catalog can also be purchased here at the Red Fez site, and also through our friends at

Wayside Music
    www.waysidemusic.com

Syn-Phonic
    www.synphonicmusic.com

Thanks for your time. Hope you can make it to the show, and Happy Holidays to all!!
    Geoff Logsdon / Red Fez Records / geoff@redfezrecords.com

God, I cannot STAND it when people don't proofread their subject lines. I've become what I hate!! A beg has been sent in to Duncan to please correct...

Damn, I'm out of town that weekend, otherwise I'd have been at this show. I'd love to see this material played live and I haven't seen Dreadnaught in ages. Hope they play in the area again soon.

Bill

A bump just in case. I swear on my cats, if you are within 3 hours driving distance of this show, you should absolutely go.
    The likelihood that Hard Chargin' will ever be played through in its entirety again is very low.

I'm swearing on my cats, man. That is serious mojo to me. Go to this show if you can!