Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2018 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees..

I think it was Tom Hanks who I saw on Letterman once, years ago, talking about his teenage job, selling soda pop to baseball game customers. Since he was selling Pepsi, he had to yell out either "iced cold Pepsi!" or "ice cold soda" when going up and down the aisles.

He makes the point this was weird to him because, growing up, he (and everyone else he knew) used "Coke" as a generic word for all types of soda pop. You'd say "I'm getting a Coke, you want one?", never "I'm getting a Pepsi" or "I could go for a Pepsi right now", etc. Dave echoes "Even if it was a root beer or ginger ale or whatever, you'd still say 'Coke'".

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Bottle of pop?
    Thanks, but I've already been downing Squirt all day.

Dilly Dilly!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-19-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think it was Tom Hanks who I saw on Letterman once, years ago, talking about his teenage job, selling soda pop to baseball game customers. Since he was selling Pepsi, he had to yell out either "iced cold Pepsi!" or "ice cold soda" when going up and down the aisles.

He makes the point this was weird to him because, growing up, he (and everyone else he knew) used "Coke" as a generic word for all types of soda pop. You'd say "I'm getting a Coke, you want one?", never "I'm getting a Pepsi" or "I could go for a Pepsi right now", etc. Dave echoes "Even if it was a root beer or ginger ale or whatever, you'd still say 'Coke'".
    I think that's a Southern thing, but Letterman is from Hoosieriana, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My mother’s side of the family was from the south (eastern Kentucky / Tennessee western Virginia / North Carolina) and I remember growing up my Grandfather used the word “coke” for any kind of pop / soda.

Re: Dire Straits

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm not sure. I was gonna say that I remember referring to everything as "Coke" when I was little, but that could be that from the ages of about 3 to 7, we lived at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. So maybe it is a Southern thing. (shrug)

And Letterman is from Indianapolis. At some point, he started a campaign, perhaps facetiously, to have a street named after himself in Indy. Apparently, someone suggested they could rename the expressway the "David Letterman Memorial Bypass", which amused Dave to no end, being this was after his heart bypass surgery.

Also re: Dire Straits:

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.