Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees..

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    You answered your own argument. She's just as roll & roll as Aretha Franklin, the Temptations, Run DMC, Tupac and NWA.
    The last three, I agree. The first two, not at all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Although I'm a huge fan, I am shocked (and pleased) that Radiohead did not get in. Their collective attitude sucks.
    I think their attitude is perfectly fine. It's not as if the R&RHOF is any sort of officially sanctioned body.

I've always thought Dire Straits kinda brought rock and roll back to its core elements. After some of the excesses of the 70s and the punk thing. So yeah influential IMHO. Sultans Of Swing was huge, #8 in the UK and #4 in the US. As well as being a darn good song. Ever try to play the guitar lines? Money For Nothing was #1 in the US and #4 in the UK and had a very influential video, the first video ever played on MTV Europe.

Glad to see the Moodies finally got in too.

For those who don't know her, here's gospel and guitar queen Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Last edited by Wah3; 12-24-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Moodies, Bon Jovi, and Dire Straits, I get all of those. I would say they all had originality, influence, and longevity (well Bon Jovi had the last two, anyway). But the Cars??! I would argue they had none of the three. A handful of truly catchy but totally nutrition-free singles, that's it... At least Blondie had a cool look.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Moodies, The Cars, and Dire Straits, I get all of those. I would say they all had originality, influence, and longevity (well Bon Jovi had the last two, anyway). But the Bon Jovi??! I would argue they had none of the three. A handful of truly catchy but totally nutrition-free singles, that's it... At least Blondie had a cool look.
    fixed

I don't have a major problem with any of these, although I think Priest should have gotten in. I am not really a Bon Jovi or Cars fan, but get why they would be included. The Moodies should have been in a long time ago. I love Dire Straits and Tharpe as an early influence is a no brainer. I am not that familiar with Simone, but seem to have been hearing a lot about her lately.

As for Radiohead, I don't think there is any doubt that they will get in eventually. This was their first time on the ballot, my guess is that voters felt there were older bands who have been nominated before and Radiohead will eventually get their due.

I agree with that thinking with Radiohead, but why didn't that get considered with the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and especially fucking Green Day, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    A good class, however I have no idea what Nina Simone contributed to "rock 'n' roll."

not an original, but likely inspired many including many rock artists who also covered it.

I wrote something earlier this year about that tune specifically.
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...ling-good.html

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I agree with that thinking with Radiohead, but why didn't that get considered with the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and especially fucking Green Day, lol
    Agree, they all should have gone in later after some of the older bands had their shot.

I always have had a weakness for Dire Straits...some of their songs are prog-worthy

The Moody Blues are one of the all-time greats and their first 7 albums are essential listening (the next two are pretty good too). I also voted for The Cars and Dire Straits. Disappointed that Kate Bush didn't get in though - is she that well-known in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    . But the Cars??! I would argue they had none of the three. A handful of truly catchy but totally nutrition-free singles, that's it... At least Blondie had a cool look.
    Memory serves me we were headed to a Genesis concert circa '78 I believe and a guy going with us drop a cassette in the slot and he turned to us and said.. "this is where music is headed.." it turned out to be The Cars first album.. I never fully embraced the whole "New Wave" genre but seems to me The Cars set a lot of that in motion..

In the UK, I really only hear two Cars songs around much- 'My Best Friend's Girl' and 'Drive'. Blondie, by contrast, had a ton of hits over here. However yes, I do think there's an argument that they all but define that slick New Wave sound (AOR meets punk/power-pop??). So I can see why they have been put in. I think there are other acts I'd put in ahead of Bon Jovi, though, for sure...including Kate Bush. IMHO the latter has had more influence than Bon Jovi, who really built upon and slicked up what others had done already IMHO.

Interesting that metal seems to be 'snubbed' more than prog these days. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead- huge bands, not one of them in yet. It's basically only Black Sabbath and Metallica in there, isn't it? (There's certainly audience crossover with AC/DC and Deep Purple but both are hard rock, IMHO.)

Here's a different take on the inductees this year:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...018-inductees/

I've got no issues with those who are getting in this year except for Bon Jovi. The dude is just a WalMart Springsteen without the gravitas. When your biggest impact is sparking the hair metal movement (and actually Def Leppard were ahead of him) and now giving suburban cougars an excuse to relive their misspent youth, there's little reason for you to be honored.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thrilled that The Cars are going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and now giving suburban cougars an excuse to relive their misspent youth, there's little reason for you to be honored.
    And they've already got Justin Hayward on board for that!

I've got no issues with those who are getting in this year except for Bon Jovi. The dude is just a WalMart Springsteen without the gravitas. When your biggest impact is sparking the hair metal movement (and actually Def Leppard were ahead of him) and now giving suburban cougars an excuse to relive their misspent youth, there's little reason for you to be honored.
    But.....they were hugely successful, and survived that whole "hair metal" phase to continue to sell records and tickets.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    The Moody Blues are one of the all-time greats and their first 7 albums are essential listening (the next two are pretty good too). I also voted for The Cars and Dire Straits. Disappointed that Kate Bush didn't get in though - is she that well-known in the US?

Agree wholeheartedly re The Moody Blues, they absolutely deserved to get in years ago, and those first 7 albums especially were highly influential on progressive artists and music in general. DOFP itself was really one of the first true "concept" albums that set that trend in motion for the next 10 years or so. I treasure those first 7 albums and never tire of listening to them. Pinder's ethereal mellotron on those is itself worth the price of admission. Anyone who thinks they were not influential or "not very good" really doesn't know much about progressive rock, or music in general for that matter. I just saw them perform the Days of Future Passed album in Nashville by the way, probably the last time I will see them live. Still greatly miss Pinder's sound.

Cars fit the mold of the type of bands that the Hall usually inducts pretty readily---a bit surprised they aren't already in. A lot of hits, one of the bands at the forefront of new wave. Not hugely groundbreaking, but a very good pop/rock band.

Dire Straits I have a bit of a different take than many here. I think Knopfler is an incredible guitarist and great songwriter and singer. I think he really should be inducted on his own for his whole career. Lets be honest, he was Dire Straits. I never thought the rest of the band was anything special. So while I love those Dire Straits albums, its because of Knopfler. I just don't see the band as a whole a HOF band.

Bon Jovi I could have done without, but I can see why they would be inducted on their commercial success. He basically rode coattails on Springsteen's success and added a poofed up hairdo to get more chicks. Will give Jon Bon Jovi props on one thing though--his son was a walk on at Notre Dame (football) and really never got much if any playing time, but he stuck it out for the whole 4 years. Probably didn't hurt ND to have Bon Jovi on the sidelines at the games for 4 years.

Radiohead wasn't snubbed, they will get in soon enough, they are still regarded as a bit of a fringe band by the general music media, despite their huge influence. I've seen them twice in concert and they still remain one of the most interesting albeit inscrutable bands I have ever seen.

Kate Bush wasn't hugely popular in the US, probably her peak was the single Running Up That Hill and her duet w Gabriel (Don't Give Up) as far as visibility. I certainly would have inducted her over Bon Jovi and Simone.

Its ridiculous that the premier and most successful American progressive rock band, Kansas, is not in the HOF. And they have hits and chart success! You'd think they would be no brainers.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Am pleased for The Moody Blues- long overdue. Always felt that they were pioneers. I guess with Rush, Yes and now this, the ice is thawing...
    Pink Floyd, Genesis......

King Crimson is obviously the most influential progressive rock band ever, but the HOF (Wenner, Robertson, Dave Marsh etc) considers optics important, and they probably don't know how to deal with the fact that inducting Crimson would mean Fripp and a slew of others in various band formations. It will be very interesting to see if Crimson is ever inducted. I doubt Fripp would show up anyway.

I don't agree with Ed O'Brien that it is 'thin on black artists'. In fact it included a lot of R&B/rock's early pioneers. The big omissions in that regard are the 70s R&B/soul groups. The Spinners, The Stylistics, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes etc. Like the prog bands, these should have been in there years ago. I have been posting to that effect for years but the rock press don't really bother to write about bands like that so the legacy is fading.

The debate over whether rap/hip-hop is rock will rage on and on. I don't personally think that it is and I find the connection is pretty tenuous, but I don't really care that much if it's inducted.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-14-2017 at 11:40 AM.

With all this talk of "is or isn't rap/hip-hop rock?" (which I personally am completely ambivalent about), it surprises me that no one or group has attempted to organize an Urban Poetry HOF.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The cynic in me would argue that Nina Simone's induction is simply to give this year's slate more color (and historic breadth,) so why is this guy complaining? I'm as liberal as the next Bay Area resident, but that was a bit too much even for me.

The only white-guy band being inducted I have a problem with is Bon Jovi. The rest surely deserve to get in based on the criteria the Hall has established with past inductees. OK, I take that back. I guess BJ does deserve to get in.

But yeah, I thought for sure that Radiohead would get in the first year of their eligibility. And Kate Bush REALLY deserves to be in by now. I guess it's just all about the hits.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Surprised Radiohead didn't get in, glad to see Sister Rosetta Tharpe get some credit.
    Yeah Sister Rosetta Tharpe deserves it....but not Nina Simone!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    my thoughts exactly
    I don't like Bon Jovi, but I guess he deserves it....agree on Nina Simone, but a lot of disagreement there.

Overlooking Kate Bush says all I need to know.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!