Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TONY BANKS - "Five" released on February 2, 2018

TONY BANKS - "Five" released on February 2, 2018

Looking forward to this! I love Seven and Six.

Prelude To A ​Million Years (15:34)
    Reveille (08:58)
    Ebb And Flow (12:49)
    Autumn Sonata (10:16)
    Renaissance (10:14)

Tony Banks has announced that he'll release a new orchestral album titled Five early next year.

Five will launch on February 2 via BMG Records and features a collection of five compositions that were written by Banks, with the album produced by his long-time collaborator Nick Davis.

It’ll be his third orchestral album and follows 2004’s Seven: A Suite For Orchestra and 2012’s Six Pieces For Orchestra.

Orchestrator and conductor Nick Ingman is also involved with the project and agreed to collaborate after Banks played him some of the demo material.

In the past, Ingman has worked with David Bowie, the London Symphony Orchestra and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

A statement on the release reads: “The impetus for Five was a commission for the 70th Cheltenham Music Festival in 2014, for which Banks composed the original version of what now appears as the opening track Prelude To A Million Years.

“Then it was entitled Arpegg and received its world premiere on July 5, 2014, with Maxime Tortelier conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra.

“Following some consideration, Banks and Davis worked on four further pieces to join Arpegg and form this new album.

“Feeling incomplete as an album of four compositions, Banks pulled inspiration from an earlier piece composed during his Genesis days and named it Renaissance which completed the album.”
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm in.

I'm curious how Six and Seven have held up for most people. Sadly, despite my love for TB's composition within the Genesis context, neither of these did anything for me. Should I revisit?

must have.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    must have.
    +1

As much as I liked Seven, I felt Six was quite a step forward and had some incredible pieces on it.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm curious how Six and Seven have held up for most people. Sadly, despite my love for TB's composition within the Genesis context, neither of these did anything for me. Should I revisit?
    I am in no place telling anyone whether they should stick with a work or not, as few people generally share my tastes (the on-going discussion on the death of rock music is just illustrating how out of touch I'm with what people seem to hold important in music). However, just in my own view, I've always liked and continue to like both. If viewed as an art music album, Seven is obviously lightweight and one dimensional, but what I like in it, is its simple melodic touch and emotional sweep of its orchestration. These qualities are, in my ear, very much in line with Banks's style, with some parts of A Curious Feeling as a reference. Too syrupy for some, perhaps. Me, I just inject extra insulin.

Six is brighter, more dynamic and stronger of the two. The lessons learnt on the first album obviously show in the writing and the arrangements. Again, it is not an art music masterpiece, just some good crossover or film music. In some parts I'm thinking that Banks is doing what he could have done on The Wicked Lady if he had the thirty years of extra exprience.

Based on that, I'm looking forward to hearing Five. But yes, I'm secretly hoping he lives long enough to progress through Four, Three and Two to One: Motherfucking Prog Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Did you happen to get the A Chord Too Far boxed set? Disc four of that set is absolutely fantastic and contains Tony's home demos for some of these tracks, which may open them up a bit for you. It's honestly one of my most listened-to discs in the last couple of years.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    +1

As much as I liked Seven, I felt Six was quite a step forward and had some incredible pieces on it.
    I agree! although 'Blade' was immediate for me, repeated listenings revealed the subtleties of 'City of Gold' which is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Did you happen to get the A Chord Too Far boxed set? Disc four of that set is absolutely fantastic and contains Tony's home demos for some of these tracks, which may open them up a bit for you. It's honestly one of my most listened-to discs in the last couple of years.
    Yes I agree. the keyboard version of 'Spring Tide' is one of my favorite things he's ever done. I would be thrilled if he did a whole album of keyboard music, he balances his sounds so perfectly, so that part of the Banks experience is really the perfection of sound with the layers of keyboards, something that can be missed orchestrally.

I love the titles this time. 'Prelude to a Million Years'? Love it.

if you order direct from Tony you get a signed sheet music thing. would link but its blocked here, but check the super deluxe news item on it if you can't find it.

Excellent news. Thank you! I just pre-ordered it.
    (and if you order from Tony's site you'll feel better than ordering it from someone else!)
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 12-13-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Excellent news. Thank you! I just pre-ordered it.
    (and if you order from Tony's site you'll feel better than ordering it from someone else!)
    You're right I did feel better

By the way, he's never really generally had very good covers, but this is my favorite cover that he's had.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    You're right I did feel better

By the way, he's never really generally had very good covers, but this is my favorite cover that he's had.
    It is a small thing but I really do feel just a smidge better when I order direct from the artist. It seems quaintly old fashioned and modern all at the same time (sort of like Tony's music).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    It is a small thing but I really do feel just a smidge better when I order direct from the artist. It seems quaintly old fashioned and modern all at the same time (sort of like Tony's music).

Looks like the signed music sheet is only for the vinyl orders, not the CD. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Looks like the signed music sheet is only for the vinyl orders, not the CD. Oh well!
    Yeah the sheet music wont fit into the cd package evidently

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah the sheet music wont fit into the cd package evidently
    Do you mean I won't get sheet because I only ordered the CD?

(Sorry...I had to do that.)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I pre-ordered mine from Tony's website.

So Tony is going to release 4 more albums? Or will he count back to zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    So Tony is going to release 4 more albums? Or will he count back to zero?
    Banks is consciously old-fashioned, probably a 1-offset guy.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

I wish he would just leave the classical stuff behind and do a progrock-epic album in the vein of his best pieces (One for the Vine, Mad Man Moon, Heathaze, An island in the darkness, etc). Add to that a good singer and a good guitar player (Hackett, Francis Dunnery, Luke Machin)...

One can dream...

Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Listened to the youtube clip last night and thought it was decent. This morning, listened again, focusing on the view out my window rather than the orchestra, and thought it was much more than decent.

Very very nice!

Great interview with Tony about Five, the possibility of more 5.1 solo reissues, how sick he is of his bandmates' books, and other such topics!

http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Tony-B...2018-s665.html

Yes, that was a really good interview. Thanks! I think Tony should read Phil's book, though. He'd probably like it a lot. Also, I thought it interesting that if the next album is called 4, it would be a symphony.

Side note: This may be nit-picking, but that interview was chock full of typos. Understandable for a non-native English speaker, but spell check is ridiculously easy to do these days.