Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Heavy Horses "New Shoes Edition" February 9th 2018

Hmm. I've never actually heard Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses or really anything after those. I guess I should listen to them before I go buying relatively expensive box sets........

Are they any good Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Hmm. I've never actually heard Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses or really anything after those. I guess I should listen to them before I go buying relatively expensive box sets........

Are they any good Frank?
    Nah - I can't stand that band. I'm more of a Europe-meets-Fudge Doughnut-jazz kind of guy.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nah - I can't stand that band. I'm more of a Europe-meets-Fudge Doughnut-jazz kind of guy.
    You'ze a bigfan of LimB Piss'kit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

They are absolutely essential.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Are they any good Frank?
    Get the remixes. An $20 is worth it for the additional tracks and the improved sound. You get an extra album worth on aqualung, passion play, warchild, horses and the others you get an extra half album

Are they any good Frank?
    In all seriousness Gus, you should check out the 2003 remaster of Songs/Wood on CD - you can probably fetch it used for less than a cup of coffee. The new box is great and has an amazing DVD concert and extra goodies plus an interesting remix of the album proper, but the 2003 has to be heard - it has a sparkle and open midrange/upper midrange that the new SW doesn't. All imo of course, but I've listened back and forth more times than I'll share here, and I will never get rid of it. Well, its actually still my go-to. The original vinyl is sort of flat and thin - at least the original UK is.

^ While I myself have listened to Stand Up or A Passion Play ten times as much, Wood remains the one recommendation I'd still give to beginners at Tull. It captures all of their main assets in a stew which succeeds at being both musically challenging yet accessible to the listener. An absolutely seminal record.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ While I myself have listened to Stand Up or A Passion Play ten times as much, Wood remains the one recommendation I'd still give to beginners at Tull. It captures all of their main assets in a stew which succeeds at being both musically challenging yet accessible to the listener. An absolutely seminal record.
    Yep, that's where I would begin. There and "Thick as a Brick."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you like Tull, I can't imagine you would be disappointed in either of them. Definitely check 'em out!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    According to Bull Moose, the release date has been pushed back to March 2nd.

Bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Bugger!
    Idiotic Ian, YOU"RE FIRED! You've had poor album sales anyway since This Was. Sad!

^^

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wood remains the one recommendation I'd still give to beginners at Tull. It captures all of their main assets in a stew which succeeds at being both musically challenging yet accessible to the listener. An absolutely seminal record.
    Absolutely. Depending on someone's taste I might steer them toward Stand Up or Aqualung first, but SftW has always been their most defining one in my book.

I think I'd go with Thick/Brick or Minstrel, but that is probably just because those were my first two

I had no idea then (around 1998ish) that Ian/Tull would become some of my favorite music ever, well certainly in the "prog" category.

Got a shipping notice from Bull Moose today!

Bugger!
    That what Amazon told me, March 2nd for release.

Got a shipping notice from Bull Moose today!

Burning Shed shipping confirmation was received Monday
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Burning Shed shipping confirmation was received Monday
    The race is on!

The race is on!

the Burning Shed orders are signed by Bill Buford . . . .
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    the Burning Shed orders are signed by Bill Buford . . . .
    The one and only (he has written far more than Bruford): https://www.amazon.com/Bill-Buford/e/B000AQ6LTI

Import Cd sent my notice today......add one more retailer to the race!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I can't wait to get mine, rip open the packaging, and listen to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I can't wait to get mine, rip open the packaging, and listen to this one!
    Philistine!

Just ordered from Ken!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The race is on!
    I won? Burning shed, outside of Europe, and playing it right now...
    Ordered 2 copies so can confirm the signature is different on each, though none from Bruford